Dual battery is it worth having

teddybear

Hi guys and gals

Iam in the process of getting my new boat soon, Iam just wondering is it worth getting a dual battery system, I will rally take it out at night may b once or twice mown and then

Regards

Teddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of boat, what you intend to do with it and what accessories you wish to run. If your going offshore I think a dual system is a must if only for the safety margin. In the end it's up to you. Cheers.....

Dave

I have 2 batteries so that all accessories don't use the start battery and in the event the main fails I have a chance at override. I don't head km's offshore but I still want the security. $200 for the batt , $200 for the Vsr and wiring and I did the labour so figure that in to the price the manufacturer quotes.

Hey Teddy.

I went through this a while ago and asked myself the question...how much would I pay to get out of trouble if the battery is flat? If I'm inshore probably not a lot but...I'll need to drop anchor, flag someone down to tow back to the ramp, which will take a couple of hours but no harm done. If I'm offshore and close to the rocks and risk losing the boat (and all my gear) it's probably going to be more than the excess on my insurance policy. As I'm going offshore I went with a dual battery setup as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you decide on a single battery, I would strongly recommend the following;

1. Buy a good quality charger and make sure the battery is topped up at all times. Also check fluid levels regularly.

2. Buy a battery pack (smart start charger) and take it with you whenever you go out (make sure there is quick access to the terminals if you need to jump start in a hurry). These are around the $150 mark and pretty good value (plus you can charge your phone, run speakers etc rather than drain the boat battery).

Considering the cost of a second battery plus wiring is around $500, I think it's a pretty cheap insurance policy. Plus you've always got the option of running accessories like bait tanks, sounders etc.

Hope this help and good luck with the boat.

Cheers

Pete

Buy a second smaller battery..trade price for say a SMF43 is only $70.00.Buy two Anderson plugs at $10.00 each.Wire up both Batteries so they have the Anderson plugs on 30-40 cm of cable.When you go fishing grab the smaller one off the trickle charger and chuck it in the boat.If the main one does go flat just connect the two Anderson plugs and start up.Done it for years with no problems.

Regards Stu.

I have ummed and aahed a lot on this one. For me the available space is an issue. I have an open CoastRunner with 4 main areas for a battery. Aft port holds the live well. Aft starboard holds a single crank, fuel filter, DC-DC charger and isolation switch. So fairly full back there.

Fore port holds the deep cycle. Fore starboard is my safety gear well. I could possibly fit a second crank up front but a) it will be hard to access, b ) will cop the chop and c) will need long wiring looms, not really good for high amp draw.

So in my situation I have tools onboard to replace the crank with the deep cycle in an emergency. I also keep the maintenance up to both batteries and use my CTek to charge and condition them.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Hey guys thank you for everyone's response, Iam still waiting on delivery of my new boat "Quintrex 430 fishabout" I have decided to go for something small and compact for the family and for some solo session, with many thoughts I have decided not to get the dual battery system and just get a battery jumper instead.

Tight lines people's

Regards

Teddy

Hi Teddy, I run duel batteries in my boats and always have since being stranded and having to wait for a tow. It doesn't matter if you charge your battery every time before going out a battery can die at any time without notice. After charging you can measure it but that can give you a latent charge indication and not a true reading. The small cost of a second battery and switch over is worth every penny.

Jeff

Hi fish reaper, I think the chances of me getting a dual battery would be likely, depends on the room I got, I have spoken to a few mates and they said the exact thing what u sad, Iam still waiting on delivery of my boat and cross my fingers it would be soon

Hi Teddy. I have a 449 bay master. Not much bigger than your and out off the same factory. I put the second battery in and VSR. Here are the pics. If the transom is a similar layout it should be something you can do. f0db1e458d19591184d54a08a367ad19.jpgf8e0cc9892339a29bab35e60e9ced44b.jpg

• 4 months later...

890d872609a5e19efef82011f1ded728.jpg

ce111b42d04c435cbf8d727e427ada44.jpgf804320ae2be72d97bcbf3de22adb968.jpg64443506b3dee815a967b6970e36ce45.jpg516f18a1b3448a71014ec2679cb7abf0.jpg

Hi everyone

Thank you everyone who has replied to my post and sorry it took a while to reply due to work and so on lol after long wait I have finally managed to install my dual battery system and install extra lights on my little princess

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dual battery system in my boat, 1x start battery for the outboard and the other for all electronics. It's all connected with a VSR. A small cost for the additional battery, VSR and wiring saves the worry if or when something goes wrong on the water.

• 5 weeks later...

Hell Teddy Bear,

If I found you stranded, I would tow you back to the ramp.

I would look in your boat and If I found sounders, radio and other equipment connected to one battery and this was your crank battery, I would not too happy don't forget the skipper is responsible for the safety of his boat.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always had them but my current boat has just one single battery. I have the voltage showing on my my Lowrance hds so I know how the battery is. With money being a bit tight for me I was looking at just getting a spare jump starter pack, this could double up for my tow vehicle or use it to help anyone else out with a flat battery. It's much cheaper than setting up dual battery's, isolator and marine electricians.

By the way my outboard is a small Yamaha f70' which is pretty easy to pull start.

Jon

Edited by JonD

Hey Jeff, is the that the invite??[emoji482]

Yep,

Have ute and trailer, can tow to your place, fit it up and then go fishing, or bring your PJ's ( I will supply [emoji482] / food / bait and anything else we need, we will fit it up and then go fishing up here with Raging

Edited by jeffb5.8