My best ever Dollie

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I headed out a few hours before dawn, grabbed some livies and headed out to the fad hoping for a few dollies..

There were tons of juveniles hanging around the fad and they responded to a soft plastic but they were very undersized.
Water temperature was 24 and the swell was about 1 metre.

Headed off to Long Reef for the turn of the tide and scored a couple of just undersized kings (my specialty!)

Then headed back to the FAD to see if anything had changed but it hadn't so seeing as the weather was so calm and the swell was now less than a metre
I headed off at about 20 Knots to 12 Mile.

The closer I got the warmer and more cobalt blue the water got. When I got there the water was 25 degrees and there were only 2 other boats.
I decided to troll around under the electric motor and not 10 minutes after I started my rod buckled over and by the time a had it in my hand a saw a flash of electric blue leap clear of the water about
40 meters away. I knew this was a dollie and a pretty big one.

My line was directly in front of a small boat who was motoring towards it but fortunately he saw the fish jump and turned back.
Following the jumps the fish took several hard and long runs over the next 10 minutes while I fought to gain some line on him.
After about 15 minutes he went deep and did most of the hard slog there for a wile until I started giving him a bit of stick.
Then he decided a run to the surface was in order and he shot straight of out of the depths clearing the water only about 10 meters from me.

20 minutes of hard slog and my arms were protesting but he was doing circles so I thought I had him.
Eventually I saw colour and and his circles were getting tighter and he was getting closer.
He did a couple of small runs under the boat which made me nervous but eventually I got him to the surface.

I grabbed the gaff in one hand and drove it home which of course he complained about and threatened to take gaff and rod with him but I managed to pull him on board.

It certainly adds to the degree of difficulty when you are doing this solo but it was a very rewarding day.

post-32937-0-26468800-1455262572_thumb.jpg

By my measurement it went 143 cms
Could this be a fishraider record?

post-32937-0-60024200-1455262614_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Great report and great fish JIm. Always nervous moments with a good fish next to the boat trying to land them solo. You did well mate!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie

Woohoo!,,,

Great catch matte.

So exciting just reading it.

I bet you're still buzzing.

COTM material for sure.

Yes mate it was great.

Great fish Jim ! That's my dream fish right there - dollies are my favourite above any other to catch!!! You played the fish well and it's certainly a nice beastty

Was that on a livie or a lure ?

It was on a live yakka.

What a top solo effort Jim & a great read , Well done !!!

What a stunning fish made all the more special running solo...

Congratulations.

Well done Jim. You must still have sore arms after that stonker Dolly. Fabulous report...blow by blow account of the fish doing all it could to evade capture and you responding to its every move. Hope it's a record, good onya. Neil

Thanks boys.

nice one, its a big dollie, you must really pleased mate

it can be difficult bringing it in by yourself, any number of things can wrong and you don't have an extra set of hands to deal with it if it does, you have to improvise and think your feet. But when you have the time and the conditions are right you just go, even if you can't find a crew on the day, you just go :)

congrats

nice one, its a big dollie, you must really pleased mate

it can be difficult bringing it in by yourself, any number of things can wrong and you don't have an extra set of hands to deal with it if it does, you have to improvise and think your feet. But when you have the time and the conditions are right you just go, even if you can't find a crew on the day, you just go :)

congrats

Yes, very pleased... I will never forget that leap 10 metres away from me all lit up with its dorsal fin flared trying to shake the hook.

Magic!

Great report as always, love your work, Jim. That's an absolute sronker!

Got any video of this fight?... Your vids usually gee me up to go for a fish lol

On a side note, don't be shy if you ever need a deckie on one of your outings, I'm more than happy to lend my services haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Great catch. What gear was it caught on - rod,reel, line class. Could make this catch all the more impressive.

Great stuff and good angling solo.

Great report as always, love your work, Jim. That's an absolute sronker!

Got any video of this fight?... Your vids usually gee me up to go for a fish lol

On a side note, don't be shy if you ever need a deckie on one of your outings, I'm more than happy to lend my services haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well done mate , great solo effort could imagine the smile when that one hit the deck !

Thanks boys, only another fisherman can appreciate the "solo element"

It was caught on a Diawa Saltist Extreeme 24 Kg Stick with a Shimano Saragosa 10,000 spooled with 15 kg braid

I used a short leader of 100 lb flouro crimped to barrel swivel at one end and I think a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook at the other.

I rigged the yakka through the eye socket with a bait needle.

The fish was hooked right in the corner of the mouth.

The 15kg line is a story in itself as this Shimano reel is normally loaded with 24 kg line ... it was running low on line so I spooled

it a couple of weeks back with the only braid I had which was 15kg.... had I remembered that at the time I would have bit a lot more nervous during the fight!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister