Dhutchy

Hi Raiders, a couple of weeks ago, I dragged the tinny up from Canberra to revisit one of my old haunts, the Great Sydney Harbour, via Roseville Ramp.It was to be a family day with wife and two boys and everyone was pumped for a good day on the harbour.

As Canberra is about a 2 hour trek to the coast, the boat had laid dormant for some time. So I had put on the trickle charger over night and thought she will be right. Got the boat into the water, but not off the trailer, and the engine wouldn't turnover. The battery was completely dead. Curses were uttered, kids began to mutiny. Eldest boy, the 12 year old, stomped off to fish from the shore. Shortly after he managed to land a nice whiting, a bream and a fledgling flattie. Evaluated options with get new battery the only realistic choice. So we called a Brookvale battery mob. I would be happy to pass on their details if anyone wants to PM me. Anyway, they came to the Roseville ramp, with a replacement, fitted it, tested it, and we were able to getaway without any bother.

We all caught fish, with my youngest boy (9 years old) very pleased to boat a stonking flounder . The rest of the day was flatties, and smallish snapper.

Anyway a great day on the harbour was had by all, after what looked to be a non starter. The message is that if you may charge your batter and think its fine, but it has to have enough charge to crank the engine. If like mine, it had sat in a garage for a long time, and was fairly old anyway, charging it may not be enough for it to crank the engine.

So to be safe and sure,check and maintain your batteries well, particularly if your boat has been idle for some time.

Tight Lines

Dhutchy