Drifting the northern beaches

GoingFishing

Hi All

Me and dad had reservations about heading out today as the forecast sounded like it was going to be messy outside. Dad was more so worried as his gut can handle a bit of chop but anything over 1.5m and he turns green !

We figured the best solution was to get out there and see it for ourselves and if too messy head inside the harbour for a try at the usual spots.

On the way out we passed the western wedding cake which looked like a car park !! We hung around for 10 mins observing from a distance and didn't see much action so we powered on and out. Conditions outside were surprisingly a lot better than expected so went to the usual spot on the northern beaches for a drift.

Found the fish very quiet at first and this was made even harder when the wind died down around 9am,making it almost impossible to drift. We persisted and managed to get a good feed of flathead and two surprise bream.

By the time we packed up at midday the conditions were perfect and at times the water glassed out for a few seconds. Trolled all the way back to Sydney Harbour but no strikes and not much showing on the sounder.

What an absolutely beautiful day to be on the water !!

Hope everyone got out and had some fun today

post-34022-0-77578000-1456651757_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-23009200-1456651771_thumb.jpg

Good to see a few Flattys about, they were thin on the ground down south of Sydney a couple of weeks ago.

Also your Bream I recon are Tarwine.

Yeah I agree they are Tarwine. Some guys reckon they are even better than bream for a feed. The difference is the front of their head is more rounded as it comes down to the mouth rather than the more pointy head/mouth of the bream. Also the Tarwine are quite slippery on their skin making them hard to hold when removing the hook. Getting a couple of keeper sized ones is not easy, most I've caught are little fellas that are great bait stealers!

Yeah I agree they are Tarwine. Some guys reckon they are even better than bream for a feed. The difference is the front of their head is more rounded as it comes down to the mouth rather than the more pointy head/mouth of the bream. Also the Tarwine are quite slippery on their skin making them hard to hold when removing the hook. Getting a couple of keeper sized ones is not easy, most I've caught are little fellas that are great bait stealers!

I think your right !! All the more rarer when they were caught in 30m of water ? Maybe they were lost

I think your right !! All the more rarer when they were caught in 30m of water ? Maybe they were lost

Tarwhine, and bream for that matter, will feed in deeper water outside.

Nice feed of flatties.

Edited by yowie