fishing can be expensive

big Neil

Good morning all. Just got back from "fishing" down the river. Went out before sun up to a spot where I thought I had a chance of a few Yellowbelly. The place I went to is a favourite of mine and I've caught some nice fish there in the past, so I was optimistic...at least to begin with. The road in is kinda spooky in the dark, twisting and winding between the massive redgums. Then there's a 5 metre steep bank to negotiate with all the gear. I put the shrimp net in and pushed the rod rests in with the palm of my hand. Need to say that this was mistake #1. The ground was bone dry and the rod rest only went in a few inches. I started catching small fish...cod and silver perch, but no yellowbelly.

I sat there thinking about everything (and nothing) when the left hand rod showed some interest. As I focussed on the developing bite the right hand rod launched toward the water, dragging the rod rest from the ground before I could even react. I sat dumbfounded as I watched the rod torpedo under the water and out of sight. I wasn't sure what I'd just witnessed and took a few minutes for it to register.

I continued to fish with the 1 remaining rod and caught a few more tiddlers. I still couldn't believe what had happened and sat staring off into the water. I became aware of something barely sticking out of the water next to a partly submerged log. At first I thought it was the neck of a turtle, but it didn't move...then I realised it was the butt end of my lost rod.

I stripped down to my undies (thank heavens nobody was around) took my watch off and entered the water. I swam out towards the partly submerged log and as I got near, the rod disappeared beneath the water. Obviously I had spooked the fish and it swam away, taking the rod with it. Damn! I dove down under the water a few times but to no avail. The rod and the fish were gone. I continued to fish while I dried off, hopeful that the rod may re-surface...but it wasn't to be.

This place has cost me dearly, once again. A year ago I tripped whilst carrying my tackle box down the steep embankment and lost the box, with contents, in the water. There was about $500 worth of gear including a camera...which will probably still work, if anybody found it, as it was waterproof to 10metres. Also lost a set of lip grips there when a fish swam away with them still attached. So, this hobby of ours can be quite expensive, can't it? BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

Bugger. Just what you don’t need. And then to make it worse you have to explain to “The Boss” why you have to get more gear.

I'm lucky, I suppose John. Don't have to bother the Mrs with minor details like that. I just keep stock of whatever I need. It's about the only hobby I spend money on and even then, only when necessary. Luckily I have plenty of rod /reel set ups for when the kids and grandkids come visiting. Cheers, mate.

I know its a serious matter Niel !! But i really did get a good laugh from it , sorry mate !! i can picture a nice yellowbelly swimming around with its own lip grips attached!!! PMSL .

cheers mate !! snr

I know its a serious matter Niel !! But i really did get a good laugh from it , sorry mate !! i can picture a nice yellowbelly swimming around with its own lip grips attached!!! PMSL .

cheers mate !! snr

No worries Ray. I'm not really concerned at the loss...more the way it happened and in the same spot where I've suffered a few other losses. Must admit the swim was very invigorating with the water temp mid 20c. I really didn't think it through though. How I was going to swim while holding a rod with a decent fish pulling on the other end. How are you doing now mate?

Similar thing has happened to me 2 or 3 times, with fish taking rods from the riverbank. :sun: Should never happen really with commonsense and concern for the fish left with an issue. :nono: Last time it happened I jumped in after it and just missed. As i lay dejected in the shallows of the mighty Murrumbidgee I put my head under water only to hear the drag still running out. I proceeded to spend the next 15 minutes trawling my feet through the sand, rocks, weed and glass :bump0ee: attempting to pick up the line I could hear coming off the reel. Failure ensued so back to fishing, next fish fights like a demon and ends up coming in as 2 fish (carpus horribilus ) 1 with my rod and reel attached. :074: I have sworn to myself never to be careless enough to do it again for Cod's sake. :wine:

Edited by Toilor3000

Similar thing has happened to me 2 or 3 times, with fish taking rods from the riverbank. :sun: Should never happen really with commonsense and concern for the fish left with an issue. :nono: Last time it happened I jumped in after it and just missed. As i lay dejected in the shallows of the mighty Murrumbidgee I put my head under water only to hear the drag still running out. I proceeded to spend the next 15 minutes trawling my feet through the sand, rocks, weed and glass :bump0ee: attempting to pick up the line I could hear coming off the reel. Failure ensued so back to fishing, next fish fights like a demon and ends up coming in as 2 fish (carpus horribilus ) 1 with my rod and reel attached. :074: I have sworn to myself never to be careless enough to do it again for Cod's sake. :wine:

Quite right Toilor 3000, I should have knocked the rod rest in with a hammer. We learn by mistakes...sometimes. Do you catch many Cod in the 'Bidgee ACT?

Do you catch many Cod in the 'Bidgee ACT?

It took me 3 years fishing reasonably regularly to catch my first Cod having come from Yeppoon QLD. Quite a few Yellowbelly and heaps of carp kept me interested. I have only caught 5 in total and kept hoping to catch a one meter fish but no joy. 85 cm Carp fought for 15 mins in current had me convinced. Always worms or shrimp for bait. Car got broken into while I was fishing and has put me off over the last 4 years. Lures are more productive I have heard and seen the evidence of but I have never really given it a go. I don't set out to catch and release fish and would never again keep a Murray Cod having tried it already once only. Beautiful spot all the same. The occasional deer, white bellied sea eagle and platypus spotted within 5 klm (as the crow flies) of Suburbia along the river.

Do you catch many Cod in the 'Bidgee ACT?

It took me 3 years fishing reasonably regularly to catch my first Cod having come from Yeppoon QLD. Quite a few Yellowbelly and heaps of carp kept me interested. I have only caught 5 in total and kept hoping to catch a one meter fish but no joy. 85 cm Carp fought for 15 mins in current had me convinced. Always worms or shrimp for bait. Car got broken into while I was fishing and has put me off over the last 4 years. Lures are more productive I have heard and seen the evidence of but I have never really given it a go. I don't set out to catch and release fish and would never again keep a Murray Cod having tried it already once only. Beautiful spot all the same. The occasional deer, white bellied sea eagle and platypus spotted within 5 klm (as the crow flies) of Suburbia along the river.

Thanks for the information Toilor3000. Like most types of fishing I think it's a case of having to put a lot of time in, to get the results. I'm fortunate that I can and do put a lot of time in at the river. I find that bait fishing produces more fish and lure /spinner baits is much more of a challenge. Have you used cheese for bait? It's really good for Cod although the pesky Carp will also take it. I have a daughter in Canberra. Must take a rod next time I go there, and do a bit of exploring. Cheers.

Bugger. Just what you don’t need. And then to make it worse you have to explain to “The Boss” why you have to get more gear.

I'm lucky, I suppose John. Don't have to bother the Mrs with minor details like that. I just keep stock of whatever I need. It's about the only hobby I spend money on and even then, only when necessary. Luckily I have plenty of rod /reel set ups for when the kids and grandkids come visiting. Cheers, mate.

Does "Don't have to bother", actually mean "too scared to tell"??