Middle Harbour kayak session

SgtBundy

Snuck out at 5:30ish on Sunday morning to get in a morning session trying to improve on my previous attempt. Hit the water around 7 from Clontarf and was greeted with a brilliant sunrise.

ae01803034ef04b7e261830a45212def.jpg

This time went straight over to Chinamans to hunt squid and after a bit of prospecting got hold of two. As I still lack a kayak live bait tank (working on it) I just took the two.

71d379d41f8a462daacbab222598eec3.jpg

Moved to the middle of the harbour and set out the first squid and slowly made my way towards Cobblers with the squid in tow, prospecting with soft plastics as I went. As I approached the navy base boundary my squid rod took a big hit and started to scream off. With the plastic line still out I was in a tangle of leashes, lines and hanging on to my heavy rod while trying to keep the small steam train on the end of the line from wrapping around nearby boats moorings. After a few minutes of chaos I had him beside the boat and netted. This time I had grips so he was not getting away. When I finally had him on the mat it was just short of 65 - couldnt honestly keep it so he was swam and released.

d6ffc96f2a660e8aeff4a0ac2d9dc929.jpg

Some good fun none the less. Another kayaker came over to check it out and have a chat. He somehow managed a flounder on a 15cm pink whipbait but no kings.

I set out my second squid and stayed in the area moving more towards the point of cobblers ledge. After about 15 minutes of more plastic prospecting I got a hit on the squid but whatever did it just roughed him up. I fixed the squid up and put it back and within 3 minutes my kayak was being turned around as another king was on the hook and running. This time I got the other rod out of the way and stuck in to this fish who again ran near an anchored yacht nearby. Hearing the reel screaming a nude couple from the yacht popped up to watch the fight - an eyefull from my low position on the water... more so when they had a conversation with me.

After a minute or so and 5 net attempts I had the king in the kayak. With a few measure attempts I had it at a touch over 65 and I figured with 2 close ones released it was good enough to have a take home. I dispatched it and tucked it into a keeper bag to bleed out.

However in dealing with that I ended up with some unholy tangle between the two lines when the rods where being handled out of the way of the nets and leashes and I spent a good 20 minutes undoing it and then giving up to cut and retie lines. With that sorted and now more squid I decided to set out a lure to troll back over towards castle rock beach.

No hits on that but once over the other side I cast the lure (12cm rapala) around the rocks near the lighthouse point. A few casts in I got a light hit and some small runs, but way too small for this setup. To my surprise I had my first bonito - a small one about twice the size of the lure.

af2d18da2401ee71a20c5356a2c10ee9.jpg

He was put back and next cast I had a similar hit but this time it was a similar size tailor, also returned.

I made my way back around to clontarf as it was around 11:30 and I wanted to wrap up so the family could do stuff in the arvo. Prospected some plastics back around clontarf but no hits.

Cleaned up the kingfish back at the beach and found it had a small snook in its stomach which a nearby woman asked in the fish was having babies...

5b2a7718b2f6355bcb6dc379db1d4dc7.jpg

Filleted the fish at home and had a little for sashimi tonight. Was quite good and the wife didnt mind it either even though she is not a sashimi fan.

A very enjoyable day on the water - to have two kings in one day is a big step up for me. Definately a lot of fun to fight and a target I am keen to hone in on more.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks all. The kayak is certainly working out well for me so far - 3 squid caught for 3 kings is a strike rate I fear I wont hold on to but will take it while I can. Certainly the mobility helps try new things.

I am not sure what that thing is in the photo but I think its just a leaf on the water. I was not far from the bank and I didnt notice it at the time.

I have a tank setup from a 30L barrel from bunnings and a bilge pump from BCF but I am trying to make my own timer circuit for it. Trouble is my soldering skills have not been used in 20 years and its not been as simple as it seemed to make it work. Always interesting to make something with your own hands but I am at the point that its no longer xost effective so it might just become a fancy switch box...

Nice result from the yak. The live bait tubes work pretty well from the yak & you don't have to worry about powering it. Water drag is not too bad as long as you don't want to travel fast. I have managed to keep a couple of decent sized squid or up to 4 large slimies alive for a few hours no problem.