Port hacking 02/04/2016

Fab1

Hi guys,after working on the boat all morning and celebrating my birthday with some close family ,myself the mrs and boy decided to go for a night fish again targeting bream on the chicken.

We got there around 8pm on a falling tide which isn't the best but never the less we gave it a good crack.

We quickly found a deep hole that looked promising and the berley was deployed.First cast my son is on to a just under legal bream which was quickly unhooked and put back in the drink.Next is the mrs rod buckling over with a feisty just under one also.The next hour or so we pulled a few keeper bream in the high 20,s to mid thirties and I kept 3 to

Take home and released the others.

It went quite around 10pm with low tide being around 11pm from memory.

We decided to up anchor and head back to the ramp and try one more drop to no avail,only a few pickers.

Again water temp around 23 deg and a great couple of hours on a beautiful night spent fishing on my birthday with my wife and son.There were prawns everywhere again and not a squire in sight but saw garfish floating just under the surface again.

To top the night off in my books anyway was a gentleman at the ramp that was upset he

Didn't catch anything as he was loading his tinny on the trailer.

I offered him 2 of my better fish and he couldn't be happier.

If your a raider Paul I hope you enjoyed your bream mate,and like I said

Don't be to disheartened coming home empty handed as it happens to all of us.

This is the smaller one I kept for me.post-20199-0-55948100-1459608622_thumb.jpg

To me its not about how many fish we catch,its about spending as much time as I can

With my family.

Thanks for reading.

Couldn't agree more fab1. Happy birthday mate and I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day! I'm sure the other fisho was grateful of your gesture. :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes mate.He thought all his Chrismas's came at once.

Happy birthday Fab1! No better way to celebrate your birthday than wetting a line with the loved ones! You are a top bloke giving away those bream! Just wondering what size hooks you use?

Cheers mate,I use #4 long shank hooks 90% of the time and #1 again in the long shank or bait keeper the other 10%.This time round and last time I caught those bream on the #4 hooks on a running sinker rig.

Good work on a few bream. The gars usually attract kings and tailor.

Thanks Yowie,Im afraid the kings would smash me on my light gear(especially a big one) but the tailor were about last night as we caught a few but nothing substantial and had a few bite offs.

Nice session Fabian and good you for sharing your catch.

I was on the hacking Friday night for not much result. I havent figured been able to figure out how best to fish it.

There was plenty of gars, mullet and a few prawns about and also saw a couple of squid. Wasn't quite as active as a month or so ago.

Nice session Fabian and good you for sharing your catch.

I was on the hacking Friday night for not much result. I havent figured been able to figure out how best to fish it.

There was plenty of gars, mullet and a few prawns about and also saw a couple of squid. Wasn't quite as active as a month or so ago.

The best way I know to fish the hacking and have guaranteed results is fish with Yowie.In all seriousness I think what makes the hacking harder to fish is the beautiful clear water combined with the amount of boat traffic especially at this time of year it receives for a relatively small system.

I find berley is almost mandatory especially in the deeper parts as well as fishing as light as you can.I always use berley at anchor as Ive made my own adjustable berley pot to use with my frozen berley and if the currents running hard/fast I simply lower it 1/2 to a meter off the bottom and when it subsides I raise it higher in the water column.

I also try various baits,last night I had prawns both whole and peeled out,pillys,and the chicken concoction I made.The prawns and the pillys didn't get touched but the chicken did the trick.

I'm no expert on fishing or reading my sounder but I look for likely places like shell encrusted shore lines,drop offs,bait schools,reefs,holes etc.

One last thing is don't be afraid to use small hooks as my go to hook is a #4 long shank hook landing me all the usual bread and butter fish over the years.

Cheers.

Fab1 sounds like the way to go to have a #1 day for your birthday, congrats on the catch and well done for

sharing your catch with one not as successful as yourself.

That bloke will remember your good will and perhas do the same one day for someone and snowballs from there.

Frank

Thanks Fab1. Yeah Yowie has it mastered. I usually burley but on the surface might try a deeper pot.

I don't have it mastered, as some days the fish are a bit harder to find.

Having fished there for over 50 years, I have learnt a few things, but there are still places I have not yet fished !!! :biggrin2:

Edited by yowie

Nice report fabian. Happy Birthday to you also very kind of you sharing your catch but as you mentioned you got some quality time with your family which is worth more than any catch. out of interest you mention long shank no 4 I use this same hook on a regular basis. do you find that you gut hook alot of fish cause I seem to do it alot might just be me but curious to know what your experience is like also.

Regards,

Nathan

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Hi Nathan,I don't know what it is but 99% of the time I hook them in the corner of the jaw or the centre of the top lip.Even fish with big mouths compared to the hook like flathead get hooked in the corner of the mouth.I think its just the way I time the strike I guess.But then again I set baits out and place the rods in the rod holders and the fish hook themselves in the corner of the mouth usually also.The deepest I can remember hooking a fish is throat hookng them a couple of times.

I don't have it mastered, as some days the fish are a bit harder to find.

Having fished there for over 50 years, I have learnt a few things, but there are still places I have not yet fished !!! :biggrin2:

I'm with you Yowie as you never stop learning.