Port Stephens (snapper Central)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I managed another leave pass today and headed north of broughton with two fellow fishing club members. It was our annual snapper classic vs another local club.

We worked hard all day for our fish and some decent ones at that. Between us we managed 14 up to 8kg. Most were caught early evening and late arvo. All on various sp's in 15-30m of water. I scored 5 myself.

post-24974-0-00675300-1460807796_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-28424200-1460807890_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the second photo but it was a long day and the best I could do!

Tight lines,

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'm guessing that 8kg Snapper would be 80 -90 cms. Would they be a regular size catch at Snapper Central? Hope you won the comp with them Scratchie.

Cheers Neil. It would be between that range. We didn't measure as the comp is based on weight. We should be a chance as a team but there's some real good fishos up here and you never know what they are going to weigh in!

Good fish there bud, been getting some kings down here with the occasional pannie in between, but think I might need to do a run up there soon to get a snap like that! U do have some gun fishos up there, let me know what wins, your def in for a chance.... Good luck ?

Cheers guys! We were using mostly 3/8-1/2 jigs. The sp's were nemisis, shads and squid vicious all in various colors.

There was a lot of bait and current lines. The water was very clear, so we found that using slightly heavier ment most fish were caught on the drop and were hit hard. Most were also caught on the rear drop off of the structure we were fishing!

Wow nice Snappers Scratchie, I can't wait for the SP's instruction day so I can find out all about what you guys go on about in your reports, all very interesting.

It's a great day and all involved are very giving of their time and knowledge. I'm no expert, as per stewys comment above but I do know how to use them to effect and it was a direct result of the day I attended.

Well done Jeff!

Sure makes my dart & salmon look good hahaha.

Plenty of pinkies in Lake Mac however it's rare to get them much over the legal limit (probably all headed for Snapper Central).

If they go as hard when they're older they would be a handful to get in!

Cheers, James

Just put them on the lie detector. My biggest two were a pigeon pair at 75cm

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's it Scratchie I'm coming out with you, already sussed out where to stay at Soldiers Point, also some nice boats for sale at the marina when I win lotto,lol.

So for those of you interested, this comp is run every year between shoal bay fishing club (hosts of Tbft) and fingal bay fishing club. Apparently, we haven't lost to fingal in 20 years and today was no different. Between the 3 of us yesterday we weighed in 30kg of clean snapper! Dinners sorted for a few nights!

post-24974-0-99514600-1460877621_thumb.jpg

Some great fish there mate well done! That would have been such a fun afternoon, the type of thing that we all dream of and look forward to

Edited by W4z

Wow a beautiful bag of reddies, with some real corkers amongst 'em.

Congratulations on the win , sounds like you put in the miles to get to your spot and fished it hard knowing the part of the reef they'll sit - and all on plastics - quite an achievement!

Bet you slept well last night

Phil

Wow a beautiful bag of reddies, with some real corkers amongst 'em.

Congratulations on the win , sounds like you put in the miles to get to your spot and fished it hard knowing the part of the reef they'll sit - and all on plastics - quite an achievement!

Bet you slept well last night

Phil

Thanks mate. No rest for the wicked! Started work at midnight :) nearly finished though!

Lots of drifting and casting and eventually you find them!

Nice work Mate!!! But all soft plastics?? You can't resist the prawn on the jighead. Bet you had some in your pocket while the boys thought you had a plastic on!

It's alive up there at the moment, haven't seen it better!

Cheers Dom