Hawkesbury Weekend

Brooker435

Hi Raiders,

I just thought I would share this weekends adventure on the Hawkesbury.

After receiving a invite from my mate to jump on his brother-in-laws houseboat I was there in a heartbeat.

We set off early Saturday Morning, fished the entire day and most of today.

As usual we headed to the rail bridge for the change of tide for a couple of bream not monsters but as long as we were catching we were happy. Once the current got too much we moved over to mullet creek into the shallows to have lunch and wet a line and see what we could find, well after a few hours a couple of small tailor and bream, still feeling confident as we were gonna spend the night. All I could think of was jew jew jew jew!!!! plus I had some recently caught Hacking Squid so it was all I could think of.

I managed to convince my mate and his brother in law to spend the night at the rail bridge.

We headed over there and within 5 mins I landed a nice 38cm Bream. woohoo first decent catch we were all excited!!!

a few more casts and it was starting to get dark so we got the bbq out and started working on getting some dinner sorted.

I threw a squid out while we were cooking and not long after that it took off... was it a Jew..... NO!!! but it would not get off the bottom I kept at it and finally got it up and it was a shovel nose shark only a small one and a first for me, so a couple of photos and off it went. After that, We were inside eating dinner and I had another squid out and half way through dinner I hear the drag go off again!!!! could this be what I was waiting for............................

I grab the rod and was fighting this thing for what felt like a eternity and then up comes the biggest eel I have ever seen at least 1.5 meters I was not happy and cut the line but the fight was pretty good...

after that it went quiet and a couple of hours later I managed another shovel nose and was starting to think it was going down hill but as I do kept at it and around 11pm the reel went off again.... my mate and his brother-in-law quickly ran outside they must have known this was what we were waiting for.. after a few runs and again what felt like a eternity I had my Jewwie. unfortunately 65 cms and undersized but I felt very satisfied as I had put in the effort including catching fresh bait and landed the Jew which was very rewarding for me and nearly a keeper!!! high fives all round and back in the water he went and it was also the first jewwie I have caught for 2016 hopefully many more or perhaps the magic meter... well see!!!!

Anyhow I kept fishing till about 2am and had 3 runs which possibly were jew and caught a few port jacksons so I decided to called it a night... Sunday morning we caught a few more bream but that was pretty much it. we went for a ride on the boat and moored at refuge & then America bay so we could have lunch without the boat being rocked allover the place and around 3pm we called it a day.Thanks for reading raiders, and some pics for your enjoyment.

Regards,

Nathan

post-9366-0-48447900-1460892301_thumb.jpg

post-9366-0-82787600-1460892304_thumb.jpg

post-9366-0-73298000-1460892306_thumb.jpg

Edited by beginner

Guest Guest123456789

Great report Nathan thanks for sharing.

Out of interest how far off the bottom was your Jew bait?

Great report Nathan thanks for sharing.

Out of interest how far off the bottom was your Jew bait?

Hi Luke,

Not exactly sure how far off the bottom I just tossed it out with a no3 running ball sinker, a swivel and about a 50cm leader from the swivel so perhaps a meter off the bottom give or take as the sinker would go down and the bait would float above it or that's how I think it should work. if anyone knows differently please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Nathan

Great idea! Does any of the fee go towards the marine rescue?

Good on you Nathan, great report, shame about the Jewie but sounds like some great fishing was had by all, and in the end that is the main thing, having fun with mates.Allan

Thanks Allan and your spot on and as for the jewwie I have a feeling its just around the corner I caught a few keepers a few years back but latley I have not been fishing a whole lot but I am trying to get back into it this year!!!

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Luke,

Not exactly sure how far off the bottom I just tossed it out with a no3 running ball sinker, a swivel and about a 50cm leader from the swivel so perhaps a meter off the bottom give or take as the sinker would go down and the bait would float above it or that's how I think it should work. if anyone knows differently please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan, reason I ask is I watched an episode of fishing Australia over the weekend where the host caught a jewie from a houseboat on the Hawkesbury. He stressed to keep the bait off the bottom by winding it up a bit so you don't catch sharks, Ray's, eels etc. thought it might help you out for your next trip there

Thanks Nathan, reason I ask is I watched an episode of fishing Australia over the weekend where the host caught a jewie from a houseboat on the Hawkesbury. He stressed to keep the bait off the bottom by winding it up a bit so you don't catch sharks, Ray's, eels etc. thought it might help you out for your next trip there

Thanks Luke Ill definitely keep that in mind next time I am out that makes perfect sense cause I caught both sharks and eels when going for jew.

I really appreciate your input and advice.

Regards,

Nathan

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk