I'm Not Retired (port Stephens flatties)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I just couldn't get any housework done today with the gorgeous weather we are having. So when jnr got home from his rugby trials, I said let's go mate and we'll try for a few more flatties. Well he had the boat packed before I could find a fishing shirt. Hit the ramp at 2pm and off to find our target. The bay was a complete glass out and we got to our spot in no time at all......

post-24974-0-23987000-1463389829_thumb.jpg

First spot on the south side of Wanda headland saw a lot of bust ups of tailor, so I cast to the school and let the sp sink and sure enough, a nice flatty sitting underneath and was soon boated.

We both cast for a while but no more fish to add. So we moved to the northern side of Wanda and first cast bang on and another nice flattie to the box. Well what proceeded was a flattie for me every cast for the next 30 mins. Poor jnr was persisting but to no avail and even after much coaching he just couldn't get one to stick today but he never gave up and just kept on casting. To be honest, I think he spent a lot of time netting for me which may have detracted from his fishing time! :)

We then tried another spot which had yielded a heap the other day but no joy this time. We made our way back to the ramp by 430 with 6 good Flatty ranging between 40-55cm and I let at least that many go.

Whilst at the cleaning tables I ran into an elderly gentleman that had 5 absolutely stonking bream with the biggest just on 50cm. I asked him if he was local and he said he was. He asked me if that was my boat there as he sees it all the time, then he asked if I was retired too? I laughed and thought shit, do I look that old? Anyway, we exchange fishing spots and techniques and both agreed that it was a great afternoon to be on the water.

post-24974-0-08477900-1463391232_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-62194800-1463391347_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-65021900-1463391553_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

It was an incoming tide and all fish were caught in 2.5m or less of water. I was using a 1/8 jig and most of the damage was done on a 100mm bloodworm wriggler and a 4inch minnow in pilchard. 6lb braid and 9lb leader. The fish today were very aggressive and swallowed the sp on a few occasions, meaning a few leader changes. I also noted that the eastern side of the bay was 1 degree warmer than the western side were I didn't land a fish! Hmmmmmm

Nice report Scratchie and the pictures just make me green with envy. Interesting about the temp difference. At this time of year 1c makes a huge difference with Murray Cod...whether they will feed or not. Maybe a similar thing with Flatties? Cheers, Big Neil

Nice report Scratchie and the pictures just make me green with envy. Interesting about the temp difference. At this time of year 1c makes a huge difference with Murray Cod...whether they will feed or not. Maybe a similar thing with Flatties? Cheers, Big Neil

Cheers Neil. I generally don't target flatty this time of year as they are more productive between nov-mar due to their breeding patterns. Yes, it does make a difference as they become more dormant and less likely to entice. But the good weather has kept them chewing for a bit longer.

Cheers Neil. I generally don't target flatty this time of year as they are more productive between nov-mar due to their breeding patterns. Yes, it does make a difference as they become more dormant and less likely to entice. But the good weather has kept them chewing for a bit longer.

Jeff,

I recall that we had equally warm weather at this time two years ago, when you pointed me in the right direction to get a few flatties in that area and we shared a drift. (I know for a fact because Facebook Memories reminded me!). There was a lot of cuttlefish about too. Are they still around in numbers at the moment? I was in Port on the weekend but unable to wet a line unfortunately.

Baz

Jeff,

I recall that we had equally warm weather at this time two years ago, when you pointed me in the right direction to get a few flatties in that area and we shared a drift. (I know for a fact because Facebook Memories reminded me!). There was a lot of cuttlefish about too. Are they still around in numbers at the moment? I was in Port on the weekend but unable to wet a line unfortunately.

Baz

Well there you go baz. Face ache is good for something! Lol.

Yes mate those cuttlefish are about in numbers and rather annoying!

Nice report Scratchie! - I was fishing over the weekend in Port Stephens - beautiful weather, fish and bait everywhere - but only caught a small hammerhead! (at the pinnacle)- that's fishing.

Nice report Scratchie! - I was fishing over the weekend in Port Stephens - beautiful weather, fish and bait everywhere - but only caught a small hammerhead! (at the pinnacle)- that's fishing.

Cheers! There a few "pinnacles" up here. If you mean the one out the front between big island and fingal lighthouse, that spot there can be good for snapper early morning!

Yowie- two of his bream were absolute horses. And for those interested, he said with the mullet run, he fillets a whole mullet and puts the guts, frames and chook pellets in a burley bucket and fishes lightly weighted pieces of mullet into the oyster racks!

Jim- I'm the poorest bloke I know! Don't know what would give him that impression. Although, with a family like mine and the place I live, I couldn't be happier!

Greaat haul scratchie!! Maybe he meant are you retired? Because he commented that he always sees your boat on the water hinting that you got soo much time on your hands i.e retirement haha. Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers! There a few "pinnacles" up here. If you mean the one out the front between big island and fingal lighthouse, that spot there can be good for snapper early morning!

Yes, that's the one. Weather is looking good for this saturday - might get out there early!

Excellent stuff there Scratchie..a mate of mine recently purchased a holiday unit in Nelson Bay, not sure when ill be going up but id love to meet up for a session on and off the water :):1wine:

As I said before, any time fellow raiders! Don't mind either session but it's better when you combine the two! :)