Rays in Port Hacking

grandad

The photos were posted and shared on the I Love Caringbah South Facebook page.

Spotted from his house at Gannons Bay, Glenn Warren photographed this fever of stingrays in the Port Hacking.

An afternoon cuppa from his Boomerang Avenue waterfront balcony came with a spectacular display of nature.

Mr Warren captured the rays swimming in unison, about 20 metres from his waterfront residence.

The photos were posted and shared on the I Love Caringbah South Facebook page.

“I’ve lived here for 10 years and seen dolphins, seals and blue gropers,” he said.

“I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Anyone guess what type of rays they could be?

r0_0_960_640_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Close encounter: The fever of stingrays were spotted close to the shore. Picture: Glenn Warren

r0_0_960_640_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Nature's best: Rays gather as one in the Port Hacking. Picture: Glenn Warren

It's very cool I saw this as well. I wonder if it's a mating thing?

We were out a few weeks ago near Lilly Pilly and heard a massive belly flop sound, the mate I was fishing with said he saw what he thought was a big ray hit the water. Unfortunately I missed all but the aftermath.

It's very cool I saw this as well. I wonder if it's a mating thing?

We were out a few weeks ago near Lilly Pilly and heard a massive belly flop sound, the mate I was fishing with said he saw what he thought was a big ray hit the water. Unfortunately I missed all but the aftermath.

Eagle rays do jump, have hooked a few that take to the air during the fight.

Thanks for sharing that, they are great photos!! The eagle rays seem to come into the Hacking every year around this time. Pretty much every year I hook one or two of them fishing for Jew and man do they have motors on them. Had them up to the boat a few times but have also had this result on the lighter gear a number times as well.

post-12761-0-99929400-1463538241_thumb.jpg

You always wonder what it was but when its this time of year and they take over 200m of line without slowing I'm usually pretty sure they are the culprit. Still leaves you feeling gutted mind you.

Cheers,

Rich