A beautiful morning.

bluefin

Last night I was a bit iffy about fishing this morning, the weather report was not the best. Set my alarm, but an hour later turned it off. But some time during the night I turned it back on and started thinking about Jew fish. So up I got and off on the water to a well known deep water spot in the river. The weather was perfect. Started throwing a viblicous 70 m/m in green and orange around. Was soaking up the beauty of the morning when bang. After a nice battle, in the net go's a 71 c/m Jew. Content that I had achieved my goal, I sat back and enjoyed a thermos of Coffee. Threw around again for a while, but nothing. Where have the bream gone? They are always around to brighten up a slow day! Decided to take a run further up river and try a shallow area for some Flathead that I hoped may be soaking up some sun. I lost my viblicous to a hidden snag so put a lime green Samaki thumpertail 70 m/m on. After a couple of casts all hell broke loose. This fish had weight. It took off over the flats in about a meter of water like a kingfish. Small mullet flying out of its way. Very funny! I lost around 60 to 70 yards in the first run. Then the yo yo game started. Finally got it close to the boat, and it takes off again for the fallen trees! When is this thing going to give up? I put some more drag on with my fingers on the side of the spool and managed to turn it. It was very aware of what a net was. I tried about 5 times but it bolted each time. Even jumping out of the net once like a Barra ! Finally!! What a fight!!

post-11-0-27883400-1464329122_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bluefin

Nice work bluefin, nothing better than getting that first fish of the day under the belt early, I too take a thermos but mine has hot chocolate.

I think the size limit is starting to have a good effect, some good reports coming in from a few mates that a couple of years ago they were having to tell stories of days gone by about good size Jew fish.

Thanks everyone. The yellow bucket was not intentional. Had a look at COTM How could I compete with a kids first Tailor on the SP day !! Up until a month ago I had never caught a Jew on a lure, I now have 3 legal and 5 just under. I have been finding deep holes in the river and around a bridge. Fishing the eddy behind the pillions sitting a cast length away from them. Samaki 70 m/m Viblicous or Thumpertail in Whitebait or lime green. Sax Scent Crab. Let it sink to the bottom then lift, then let it sink again. In the holes I look for Baitfish. Find the Baitfish thats the key. Line is fins 40G 5 lb .leader 16 lb fluro, FG Knot, Reel an old Daiwa Capricorn 1500, Rod Daiwa Generation Black Wild Weasel 2 to 6 Kg. Went out again this morning, got a 68 c/m one! Regards Howard.

Edited by bluefin