Beach Fishing After Heavy Rain

sam bros

Hi Raiders,

I want to go fishing tomorrow afternoon/night since that is when the wild weather is expected to die down

Just wanted to know people's thoughts on beach fishing after heavy rain.

I want to target jewies but don't know if it would be worth it.

How does heavy rain affect beach fishing or any type of fishing

Thanks

Why would extra swell make it hard to Beach fish

As long as you can set your bait with an appropriate sized star sinker and there is no side current

Wouldn't the extra swell create more deeper gutters and create more activity to bring fish in?

Sam

Your kidding aren't you

You'd need to be throwing a sinker the size of a house brick to keep the bait on the bottom with a swell like that.

Just about every beach I know will be full of weed after the strong winds and big seas.

Best of luck.........I think I'll be staying at home

Corb

Edited by Crossfire63

Sam

Your kidding aren't you

You'd need to be throwing a sinker the size of a house brick to keep the bait on the bottom with a swell like that.

Just about every beach I know will be full of weed after the strong winds and big seas.

Best of luck.........I think I'll be staying at home

Corb

I've fished in relatively large swells before,

When you fish the gutters there's much less waves breaking over that areas

As long as your casting over the first wave break and into the gutter

Shouldn't that be all right

I just use a size 4 star sinker and that keeps the bait steady

I don't think I've fished swells as big as today will be, so I am still weighing up options

The thought of the new moon and King tide are making me keen to chase jewies

Your right

Weed will most likely be a big problem

I'll probably look at some beach cams at around midday before making a final decision

After heavy rains the floods tend to wash food out into the ocean and it's a prime time for jewfish.

Finding a spot where:

a. the flood enters the sea and

b. is protected

is the hard bit.

Look at rivermouths, lagoon outflows etc, then check how open they are, check the swell and wind direction and if you can find a spot that the swell bypasses, a beach corner tucked inside a sheltering headland, you may be in business though as others have pointed out, weed can be a serious problem.

You'll often find these places alive with blackfish too.

Safety is always the critical factor and in the biggest swells, I have seen 60 metres of beach bone dry, then covered by 5 feet of swirling water a minute later.

KB

Sam,

There some good advice there. Anytime there is a marine warning, big swell and gale forecast winds, that's when the addiction stops and commonsense prevails. Stay safe!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yep scratchie

The severe weather warning was meant to die down today. But it hasn't and is expected to remain throughout the night.

So I am staying home today and gonna clean and service my fishing gear

Regroup and attack the jewies another time

Thanks for everyones advice

The swell stirs up the sand on the beach which brings out food to attract the fish, however, in really churned up water with a lot of sand, the fish will sometimes move away due to the sand irritating their gills. Give the seas time to drop a bit, then get into it.

Went down for a look see where I live and to be honest I couldn't imagine anywhere you could fish off the beach or rocks to the ocean today.

The Entrance Beach had a couple of walkers on it at low tide and they almost got caught. On a high tide, walking the beach would be close to suicidal, especially those with a rock wall or steep berm.

KB

I stopped past our local boat ramp (Rydalmere) at low tide and it was at the normal high tide mark and the parramatta river was flowing the fastest I have seen it in 20yrs.

Be interested to see it at high tide tonight.

P.s if anyone follows Al Mcglashan he has footage taken from the Rydalmere boat ramp with the marker buoy being dragged by the current.

Edited by jeffb5.8

So....

Are we going to get a fishing report out of this beach session or what? :pokey:

Nope squidmarks

I didn't fish yesterday

No point on going to a fight that I was going to lose

Let the weather get better before I go out, I'll be sure to post a report then :sun:

Little Bay beach fishes well in these conditions....has a reef across the front so swell is diminished and gives fish a sheltered area.

Always catch nice bream there in a big sea. With the westerly winds over the next couple of days it will be easy to fish.

Jim...