First boat (fishing)

Christrading

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times before but I can't find anything. I just got my boat license today! Woo! And I'm looking at cheap boats to go out fishing on. It would need to hold 4 people max. Highly likely just to have 2 at a time and I want something that can go in to Swansea channel too. I'm probably looking at $5000. $7500 max if $5000 isn't enough. Any help on things to consider or what to look for would be awesome!

Go the boat with the newest Motor possible and one with documented service history, as it seemed everyone I looked at had a mate who was a marine mechanic.

Get the deepest hull and biggest you can as room soon disappears when you load it up.

Here's a few tips to get you started.

My advice is to look at that boat in three different sections then make a final decision.

Starting at the trailer:

Is it registered?If not when was it last?

Armed with a torch check the entire trailer frame for rust(especially inside the side rails and cross embers in the rear third of the trailer).

Check all welds for cracking paying particular attention to the winch post,a frame area.

Check the trailer coupling is firm/secure.

Check safety chain/s are attached and in good condition.

Check all rollers,cradles,skids are in reasonable condition and operable.

Check the trailer lights/wiring are in working order.

Check mudguards are secure and not rusted through if made from metal.

Check wheels/tyres are in reasonable condition.(check for spare)

Jack up trailer and check bearings for rumble/play.

Boat:

Is it registered?if not when was its last rego?

Check:

Check the underside of the hull for any cracks,crazing,chunks missing,paying particular attention to the keel and the bottom of the transom.

Chunks/cracks etc at the very bottom edge of the transom normally indicate shallow launching where the hull has struck the ground.

Grab the outboard leg and lever it up and down to test for rotted timbers in the transom.

Walk firmly inside the boat noting any give sponginess in the floor which may indicate underfloor structural rot.

Check bung holes are in good condition and firmly fastened/sealed.

Check the sides of the boat for any deep scrapes/gouges where contact with jettys,etc may have occurred.

Check along the topsides for the same deep crazing,cracking,gouges as described earlier,pay particular attension to all inside/outside corners.

Get your head underneath the dash,gunnels,transom with a torch and inspect thoroughly.

Check all hatches,fittings,windows,canopys,seats,are in reasonable condition and firmly attached.

Check steering,steering cables,pulleys etc,that they are in reasonable condition and working.

Check all wiring,switches,gauges,lights etc that they are all in good condition and working.

Check that the windscreen and side windows are not cracked/crazed and their rubber seals are in reasonable condition.

Engine:

Remove the cowling and check that the engine looks clean and tidy overall.

Look at the paint around the power head for signs of discolouration that could indicate an overheated engine.

Check the power head bolts for missing paint that would indicate work done in the past.

Gently wiggle/feel all wirng to check security and check for worn insulation.

Look for signs of salt deposits in and around power head.

Look at all fuel lines for signs of age such as cracking,splitting etc.

I would strongly recommend you do a compression test along with a leak down test on that engine.

See if the owner has service records and check what/when things were done.

I could go on forever as this is just the tip of the iceburg on what to check.

That boat WILL need some or all of these things looked into or fixed.

I STRONGLY suggest if it's your first boat as you say for that budget,a tinny would be high on my list.

There's just less to go wrong with them.

Cheers.

Hi,

Seeing as you have a budget of between $5000- $7500 and you appear to want/need about a 4 meter Tinny, why don't you have a look at new boats in a " drive away package ", I think you'll be surprised at what you can get as there's some pretty good deals being offered at the moment.EOFY and all that.

I have a Stacer 399 which is ideal for the shallow water river fishing I do but definitely not an outside boat. Yes I do have " all the whistles and bells " but Stacer also have a good range of open tinnies. Stacer is very similar to Quintrex ( same manufacturer, Telwater ) but of a lighter construction.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

GEB

Don't rule out something like a Polycraft 4.1 for that price range. Most of the ones for that price are the open tiller steer boats but you may be lucky and pick up a side console around the $7K mark. I have one and love it, very stable and low maintenance. Look for a 40-50hp outboard on it.

Marty

Go Big. I don't want you to be the next person I see on the water, 4 people in the tinny, and about 5 cm left, before the boat takes the water in.

The big long list for Trailer, boat, engine is a good starting point, but if you expect to find everything perfect, your budget is not going to make it.

For example, to get a rust free trailer, you need to look at a new one. Considering the size of the boat you want, there are about $2500 gone.

I decided for ALU, because it's light(er), more care-free ( needed it ), and I thought that there's not much you can hide with ALU against Fiber.

I was in your place 6 years ago, with a bit more budget, and had to look around for 6 month. Good news, you're in the good season to buy a boat, as in winter they are cheaper.

Get a good second hand, with higher resale value, something you can live with for the next 5 years. Get experience with it. Then if still in good condition upgrade.

You'll know if you like boating, if you go out enough to justify a bigger boat, you will have saved for a bigger boat, you will have more experience to handle a bigger boat and venture further out.

Last thing, if you see a boat that you like, do not make any offer. Check the price. Let a friend call to make an offer that is seriously lower then the price, then you can make an offer that is higher then the one of your friend an lower then the advertised price. I did that ( not on purpose ): I saw a boat and I liked it, offered 2K less then price, and when in the office I saw on the the papers for that boat a sum of 4K less then advertised price, with a date. I remember later having called about that boat a few month earlier, with exactly that price. The guy called the owner, and since it was a higher offer then the one he received previously, he agreed.

Just don't rush !!!!

Can't go wrong with a Quintrex 390 Explorer as a 1st boat.

You can get one that's not very old fully decked out with an electric motor,

30hp outboard & electronics for your budget.

Many a tournament fisherman cut their teeth in one of these & they ride

very well & are very stable in bays & rivers.

Get something with a decent brand helps with resale and difference in ride and build quality in some are enormous ,i made the mistake twice when first started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gday

My current boat is a 3.85m Quintrex explorer with 15hp. I've fitted casting decks and all bells and whistles to it and I love it.

Perfect for 2 people in an estuary and it cost me $5000.

I can launch by myself in any situation, fits in my garage, doesn't chew petrol.

My mates who have much bigger vessels actually prefer to come out on mine as it's cheaper and more practical for fishing.

My boat cost $1200 for a 5m FG boat.

Engine was dead, and the trailer has seen better days.

Now I've got everything just about sorted, i ended up spending a heap more

so if I'd spent on a better boat to start with, i'd proberbly be better off

but it did mean that i didn't have to lay out a lot to start.

I think if you find a nice tinny then you'll be ok. I like boat where you can sit up the front

and drive, and i like knowing that the engine will start!

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times before but I can't find anything. I just got my boat license today! Woo! And I'm looking at cheap boats to go out fishing on. It would need to hold 4 people max. Highly likely just to have 2 at a time and I want something that can go in to Swansea channel too. I'm probably looking at $5000. $7500 max if $5000 isn't enough. Any help on things to consider or what to look for would be awesome!

Hey Buddy,

Congrats on getting your licence! I got mine and my first boat about 5 years ago now, still have my first boat =)

My boat is a Quintrex 420 wide body dory with a 40HP Mercury. I bought it off a mate for 5k. I think they are still valued around the 5k mark.

It's a big boat for a tinny, and most fishing is done with only 2 people anyway. Even on a bigger boat, 3 is a crowd, we only ever fish with 2 people.

What would I change about my boat? I wish it had wider gunwales. Other than that I love it. With a tinny, its so easy to launch and retrieve cause its so light.

Its easy to maintain due to less moving parts.

What to buy:

I know the Stacer range has nice tinnys in your price range with wider gunwales, check them out.

I would look for anything thats 4m in length, maybe 1.7m beam width, and minimum of 2005 hull and motor. For a 4m tinny, I'd get a 30hp motor, most people like Yamaha, I think Mercury is fine too. For towing, any car with a minimum engine size of 2.4L will comfortabley tow this.

What to look for:

Once you've narrowed down say 3-4 boats that you really like, go see them and get a feel of the buyer.

Usually, you get a feeling of how the buyer is, you can just tell by your gut if they're dodgey or not, trust your gut!

Always ask for a test drive on the water, that way you'll know for sure if there's any major issues, take it to full throttle too.

Open the motor cover cowling, a 2005 engine should look really new with all the original grease. Check the tell tale to see if the water is coming out strong.

Inspect the bottom of the hull for damage or dents.

Trailer is a big topic too. Check for rust on the trailer. Check for rust on the winch. Check the Axle as well and the U bolts behind the wheels.

Questions to ask the boat owner:

When was the last service on the motor and what was changed (spark plugs, lower leg oil)

When was the impeller (water pump) last changed (depending on the use, should be done every 2 years)

When was the trailer bearings last changed (this should be done yearly)

Those are the main things. When you go inspect and test drive a few boats, you'll get a feel for what to expect and a much better idea on what is a good quality boat and a crap one. It helps if you know a boat owner to go with you. Make sure it has life jackets, sand anchor with at least 3m of chain.

Also look up insurance, NRMA charges me like $150 a year for peace of mind.

And never rush into anything! Feel free to ask more questions here, or PM me if you like.

Good luck mate and happy fishing!

Dave

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Just buy one with the biggest and best motor you can find. If you want to upgrade the boat and trailer later on you can and just stick your motor on. Then sell your small boat.

Always think about that next boat.

There is a boat sales place in Toronto that has a boat identical to mine. Window price is a little high but depends how well you can bargain.

Been very happy with mine. 5.2m aluminium half cab.

9982f7a89872efb3eb43d18032b82edc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by NaClH2OK9

There is a boat sales place in Toronto that has a boat identical to mine. Window price is a little high but depends how well you can bargain.

Been very happy with mine. 5.2m aluminium half cab.

9982f7a89872efb3eb43d18032b82edc.jpg

Hey NaClH2OK9,

Do you know what brand and year of boat is that on the pic?

I have an absolutely identical boat that I bought years ago as my first boat, 4.6mtrs with an old 50Hp Johnson on it but the thing still goes well....

Still have it although I haven't used it in 3-4yrs as I have a bigger boat these days. :)

Never knew the brand or year......just interested as I will probably start cleaning it up soon and would like to sell it.

Oh, do you remember what they were asking for it?

Edited by Sigma

Hey NaClH2OK9,

Do you know what brand and year of boat is that on the pic?

I have an absolutely identical boat that I bought years ago as my first boat, 4.6mtrs with an old 50Hp Johnson on it but the thing still goes well....

Still have it although I haven't used it in 3-4yrs as I have a bigger boat these days. :)

Never knew the brand or year......just interested as I will probably start cleaning it up soon and would like to sell it.

Oh, do you remember what they were asking for it?

I didn't know either until I saw its twin.

Listed as an early 80's stessel half cab

I didn't know either until I saw its twin.

Listed as an early 80's stessel half cab

Thanks for that.

Do you remember what they were asking for it and what size was it?

Sorry stessl not stessel

5.2m $12990 window price but thats pitching very high in my opinion. It's with a 2003 75 Merc and 1998 trailer.

Thanks for that mate.... appreciate it. :D

Yeah, little overpriced in my opinion.

Looking at the seats in it, looks like pretty basic.

Guest Guest123456789

I just bought a stacer 4.2 rampage tinny with an alloy trailer, 40hp 2 stroke vortex electric start, battery and box, safety gear and 12 months rego all new $8k drive away.

Now vortex is parsuns which have a rubbish reputation but at the end of the day it has 3 year warranty and the dealer has told me it's backed by Quintrex. Worse case scenario I rip and replace the engine, at that price I basically got it for free.

Go to your local stacer dealer and ask them to match it. You might even get it to $7500 with a smaller engine.