Johnson 90 repower options?

brett985

Hi there fishraiders,

I would like your suggestions for a 1998 90hp Johnson Ocean Runner replacement.

The old girl has treated me reasonably well, it has 360hrs on it. But I am considering a repower.

I am thinking of going another carbed 2 stroke as I have a feeling the initial purchase and running costs will prob never meet the purchase cost of a new DI or new 4 stroke.

What are your thoughts and why?

Make model pros and cons.

Cheers

Please noone suggest parsun

I wouldn't have any thing over than a new tech engine.

Easy turn key starting every time (no pump this twice lift throttle half magic formula blah blah), quieter, less fumes, more economical, better resale.

This is for a 5m Seafarer Venus. Fairly heavy boat.

Hey Brett

I have been thinking about the same thing for my boat - seafarer 5mtr 2002 + 90 hp 2002 and my research has found that my current johno produces something like 100 hp at the prop as they were same block as 115 just a de tuned model.To go with the standard E-tec 90 would be a drop in performance and i need that for water sports etc

The boat is rate to 90hp ( looked at getting it re rated - heaps of hassle to put a new 115 on the back.) I am looking at the E-tec HO 90 which is the de tuned 115 - not a cheap option but maintains performance as well as improved technology - reliability etc

One of the issues with seafarers is putting too much weight in back

I recently upgraded from an old 2 Stroke. Got a Suzuki DF115. Spend the extra cash and walk away from the 2 Stroke. You don't need all that smell and noise in your life. Very glad I upgraded and spent the cash.

I personally love the fact that I don't have the stink anymore. Hated that smell. I looked at Evinrudes but they still had the smoke and smell. I have also found the hole shot on the Suzuki to be fantastic. I went from a 140 Yammy V4 to a DF115 and I reckon the hole shot is better on the new motor.

All Jap 4 strokes are awesome. I have heard not so good things about Mercs......but I know they have a loyal following out there.

No looking back.

The reason why I chose Suzuki.

They

Run a bigger prop

Have really nice electronic control panels

Have a Troll Mode which is very nice

Interface to Lowrance and other Devices as part of the Control Panels. No extras needed for this

They look the business

I thought the guys who sold them down my way were the best of the bunch.

More power than the Yammy and better controls

Honda only has a 100 no 115. I did like the Honda. If you can go to a 100 then this is a good motor. And well priced.

Mercury, I don't like American made electronics. I work in IT and we have more issues with Yank stuff and no issues with Jap stuff. Also I heard average reviews and their control panels are cool, but expensive and the smaller model does not talk to other devices on the boat.

Evinrude they are 2 strokes and I don't like the smell.

My fuel consumption is unreal compared to the 2 Stroke. I was at the fuel pumps every weekend now I go only once or twice a month if that.

Edited by recurve

Hi there fishraiders,

I would like your suggestions for a 1998 90hp Johnson Ocean Runner replacement.

The old girl has treated me reasonably well, it has 360hrs on it. But I am considering a repower.

I am thinking of going another carbed 2 stroke as I have a feeling the initial purchase and running costs will prob never meet the purchase cost of a new DI or new 4 stroke.

What are your thoughts and why?

Make model pros and cons.

Cheers

Please noone suggest parsun

Hey mate!

I used to have a Venus myself but it was rated to 115HP. Had a Johnson 2stroke on the back. Everything was 2002. You are right they are a heavy boat. Seafarer were designed with a light motor at the back. A 4stroke on the back at max HP would probably make it lose a little balance I think.

I am going to get creamed for this, but I would stick to the etec 90HP. If you can get a plate to rate 115, go for it.

I now have the Seafarer Victory running a 225 Etec.

I have a 115 Etec haven't used it much as its only 3 months old but I am happy with it. It's quick and although louder than a 4 stroke, it's not like I have to shout at the person next to me, like i did with old 2 strokes

It doesn't have the 2 stroke smell that the older motors have and fuel consumption is pretty good.

I would get a 4 stroke next time, as the tech and developments will be there but i wasn't happy with having to drop 15hp just to get the 4 stroke because of the weight and price.

The 115hp Etec was the same price as the 100hp 4 stroke Suzuki at the boat show.

Edited by jeffb5.8

I like my 90HP ETEC.

If you need extra power then the HO 90, 4 cylinder is a good option.

Similar to above, I like the place that I take mine and they are an Evinrude shop

so thats good enough for me. If you like the place down the road and they Honda's

go with one of them.

You'll be spending time going there for a service so it might as well be a close place