Cheaper bait options?

budzsta

I'm sure most of the people on here are similar to me.

You walk into a tackle shop to buy some bait, walk out with new leader, hooks, a new rod, burley and bait.

So to get around this problem of mine, I wanted to start catching my own bait.

Do any raiders do this and what do the recommend?

After searching the forums I've seen mullet, poddy mullet, yakkas, beach worms, aus salmon and of course squid.

If these are the main ones then I can just read older posts but if there are other options id be interested to hear some pointers :)

I haven't learned the fine art of sp's as yet :(

Hi mate,I Recommend getting yourself a nipper pump if you don't have one already as they truly are a bait Fishermans friend.

To add to the baits you mention don't overlook the humble nipper or the un traditional baits like chicken,steak etc either.

Nipper pumps will help you with getting a few worms also if you know where to look.

Also converting baits like Tailor once caught into strip baits works pretty well also.

There's a stack of baits out there if you have the time to go out and gather like catching crabs(the shellfish),pippies,beachworms etc.

Iv'e tried them all at least once over the years at different times and had some success and a lot of fun doing it when my kids were young.

All these things help keep you away from the bait shop and certainly keep the wallet nice and heavy If that's what your after.

These days I don't have young kids anymore nor the time so I purchase some bait and catch and salt others for future use.

Give some or all of these things a try and see how you go.

Good luck and happy fishing.

Hi Budzsta. When I was a kid I used to fish Lagarno/Menai where the punt would cross the georges, I mainly fished for Bream and used Cheese for bait and was very succesful. I would wait for the punt to come across and as the skids came up the ramp there were sometimes heaps of Garfish caught on the ferry skids, I knew the driver of the punt and he would allow me 30 seconds or so to gather up the Garfish into a bucket before he swung the gates open to let the cars go.

I would use some of these Garfish for bait for other species than Bream. These days all that has passed and I mainly use salted Slimey Mackeral or Soft plastics and all the other stuff mentioned when I can get it, I rarely buy any bait these days, I may buy the occasional fresh prawn IF they are still kicking.

Frank

I don't buy bait at all. If I use bait I collect red male crabs off the rocks, cunjevoi and whatever molluscs I can get at for bream, grouper etc.

Off the beaches I use frigate mackerel and bonito strips which I keep in the freezer year round (along with the odd slimey) which I catch on metals and plastics - usually in the warmer months but there are still a few coming through.

Not much that doesn't eat frigates or bonnies in my experience.

I catch plenty of bream, snapper, flatties and the odd jew on them.

Nippers are great though, awesome live baits and easy to catch and keep alive. Places like the boat ramp on the creek at patonga always produce.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm sure most of the people on here are similar to me.

You walk into a tackle shop to buy some bait, walk out with new leader, hooks, a new rod, burley and bait.

So to get around this problem of mine, I wanted to start catching my own bait.

Do any raiders do this and what do the recommend?

After searching the forums I've seen mullet, poddy mullet, yakkas, beach worms, aus salmon and of course squid.

If these are the main ones then I can just read older posts but if there are other options id be interested to hear some pointers :)

I haven't learned the fine art of sp's as yet :(

Mate, I'll share with you my uni-budget-friendly bait.

Grab the cheapest chicken breast you can, slice into eraser sized pieces, and put into handful sized servings in zip lock bags. Add some Parmesan cheese and crushed garlic into each bag. seal and mix well, put in your fridge a few nights before you're going to use it and presto.

I have taken bream, flathead and pan sized snapper on this... Just ensure to burley up as usually using bread/catfood and/or Burley pellets and you stand a good chance to bring home dinner.

Tight lines!

I know I'll cop the usual S-Storm, my way of getting bait without spending on tackle is to get ( Australian ) prawns from W or C or DeC. If they have I also go for Slimies, or squids, always from AU.

I'm no pro, I don't go to fish at 5am, I just go out to have a good time and fun with kids and family. I've tried squid, and I'm hopeless.

If anyone tells me to let the kids get some Yackas, please also tell me how to get them to stop fishing for them, when I want to move on to "bigger fish"

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Beginner showed me the art of chicken and Parmisan the other night. I was actually impressed by how frequently he was getting hookups whilst my pillie cubes remained untouched.

I shall invest in a nipper pump asap and start salting and freezing my by catches.

I'll probably need a dedicated freezer haha

Hi budzsta,

Collecting bait is all about what you are targeting! There's some great advice above and some good options for a variety of fish!

Sp's and hard bodies are certainly another option and are reusable in most cases. It's also a very active way of fishing. So it maybe worth the effort to research that area of fishing! When starting out I would recommend targeting Flatty first and you'll be surprised by some of your bycatch.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on sp fishing either!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi budzsta,

Collecting bait is all about what you are targeting! There's some great advice above and some good options for a variety of fish!

Sp's and hard bodies are certainly another option and are reusable in most cases. It's also a very active way of fishing. So it maybe worth the effort to research that area of fishing! When starting out I would recommend targeting Flatty first and you'll be surprised by some of your bycatch.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on sp fishing either!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey Scratchie!

Considering winter is coming up full speed. I think I will be spending many nights at the beach targetting Salmon and other winter fish.

Do Sp's and lures work at night?

I also want to get into rock fishing but just waiting for some mates to finish with exams as solo fishing from rocks isn't advised.

I think I will be okay getting bait off the rocks.

I guess I have two questions,

Are there limitations to what I can take from the rocks? I could look this up obviously.

Also, with PFD's does anyone know of some good ones?

Cheers!

Will (aka Budz)

Here is the link to the dpi website.....

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

I think there are rules on the amount of cunjivoi you can collect.,

Targeting salmon from the beach would work with any fresh strips of fish on a gang hook. I've never thrown sp's or lures at night. Sorry can't help there.

A good option for you would be to buy some whole mullet from a fish shop and strip bait it. Very cheap atm. Also collecting beach worms would be the go to bait this time of year for winter bream and jew. Off the stones, depending what you are targeting, bread is as good as anything! Even cheaper to make your own dough!

Life jackets you want a PDF type1. You can get them pretty cheap and very comfortable these days.

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Here is the link to the dpi website.....

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

I think there are rules on the amount of cunjivoi you can collect.,

Targeting salmon from the beach would work with any fresh strips of fish on a gang hook. I've never thrown sp's or lures at night. Sorry can't help there.

A good option for you would be to buy some whole mullet from a fish shop and strip bait it. Very cheap atm. Also collecting beach worms would be the go to bait this time of year for winter bream and jew. Off the stones, depending what you are targeting, bread is as good as anything! Even cheaper to make your own dough!

Life jackets you want a PDF type1. You can get them pretty cheap and very comfortable these days.

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

THANKS!

Has anyone tried earthworms as bait for saltwater?

I have read someone catching kingies (rats) with nightcrawlers.

I'm sure it would be worth a try, believe it or not I've caught fish on sour gummy worms fished like a soft plastic haha also red licorice...there was a guy in the US who had a challenge on his youtube channel about it so I thought why not challenge myself!

I'm sure it would be worth a try, believe it or not I've caught fish on sour gummy worms fished like a soft plastic haha also red licorice...there was a guy in the US who had a challenge on his youtube channel about it so I thought why not challenge myself!

True, if it does not attract fish then use it like a lure hehe

--

Huy

My experience with purchased bait:

Supermarket bait:

- squids - tried several times - no fish touched it.

- fresh beef ( it still had some blood in it) - tried once - nothing special

- cheap fish (leatherjackets) - tried once - no fish touched it

- chicken - quite often it works. I prefer thigh fillet to breast fillet as it keeps stronger on the hook. Some people suggest to salt it and freeze it, I prefer always fresh. I used to catch even whiting on it.

- prawns - it is ok however relatively expensive

-bread - good when fresh to catch a bait fish.

-corn - used to be good for carp fishing

servo/tackle shop bait:

-fresh worms - yes, it works.

-frozen worms - it is ok however useless after 2nd freeze.

- frozen squid - similar results to supermarket squid at a higher expense.

- frozen fish - nothing special other than a lot of smell once it melted. Not reliable on the hook. Again, a lot of smell.

- frozen prawns - it is ok, however nothing special and it is more expensive comparing to supermarket

local fish market:

- prawns - nothing special and it does not stay long in the fridge. It gets black and begin to smell rather quickly. However it is cheap.

- fish - relatively cheap, relatively works.

- earthworms (bait'n'go' vending machine) - it looked funny at night , other than that - no positive results in estuary.

Why don’t you try white bread as bait?

It is very versatile bait, as I got Blackfish, Black Drummer, Bream, Trevally, Black Trevally and Tailor on white bread.

It is very cheap only 85 cents from Supermarket.

Your hand won’t get smelly and whenever you are hungry you can have it.

Andy

In regards to Scratchie's life jacket PFD 1 suggestion:

Lots of people dont give a ... about safety on rocks and some are quite comfortable just in shorts, thongs and heavy Tiagra or Penn Int'l while LBG fishing e.g Tubes, Jervis Bay in summer.

PFD 1 provides protection in and outside of water:

-It is thick and soft and so it hurts much less if you fell accidentally on the rocks in some wet areas.

-it has high insulation and is very warm in winter/at night or open/windy areas. I prefer to put on a light rain jacket on top of PFD 1. Rain jacket takes all the punishment like salt, bait smell, dirt and hooks and can be easily washed.

-there is no need to inflate it.

There are some great options here.

Certainly live baits are some of the best options so my list would include the following.

Get yourself a bait pump and fish the flats where you collect the nippers for bream flathead and whiting.

Blackfish will also take them as will pretty much anything in the vicinity.

Catch yourself some live yakkas or slimeys for all the bigger species like tailor, jews, kingfish etc

If you want a reliable cheap bait then get some some chicken thighs at about $5 a kilo and that will last many a session.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jim