Surf Reel

eefsj

Hi Guys,

I would like to start to try out a bit of surf/rock fishing. Currently I have a 10"6 Wilson shoreline Rod and a 12" Wilson Live Fibre. I'm looking at getting a good reel for the 12" Wilson Live Fibre but I have a budget. I've done my research and almost narrow down to Shimano Saragosa sw10000 for $289 or Shimano Spheros sw10000 for $199. (unless if there's other suggestion for a better for value reel)

Just would like to know what the experience fisherman would suggest as some says the Saragosa is only slight improvement than the Spheros and is not worth the extra dollar but some said it is as the material is better.

Mainly I am hoping to target medium size fish like tailor, flathead, kings and jew. Should I go for the 10000 or would you guys recommend I go for the 6000 with higher gear ratio but less line capacity and reduced weight?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi there.

Both reels you've mentioned are more than suitable for what you want to do, In fact They're probably a bit of an overkill.

I would suggest you look at a Finnor Lethal 100 or a Pfleuger Salt II 80 or 70. These reels will serve you just as well as the others at less than half the price.

Braid or mono?

Also gear that is aimed at kings and (to a lesser extent) jew, would be overkill when it comes to choppers and flatties.

Either of the Shimanos you mentioned in 8,000 or 10,000 would be spot on. The beach can be a bit tough on gear if you dont look after it. If you are a bit careless when it comes to tackle maintenance or your are inclined to lay your gear in the sand, maybe consider a cheaper reel.

That being said, i spend more time on the sand than most, and never had tackle issues. A good sand spike or two are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks for the reply guys, I did realised saragosa 8000 or 10000 might be a bit overkill for tailor, whiting and flathead in general. I'm more targeting for kingfish and jewfish if I can find them (as I'm only a beginner, I don't really know what is a good spot other than pier 2 but there's always tonnes of people there)

I am probably looking for a reel that will last a while and from seeing the reviews, it seems the saragosa is full shielded and protected from the sand and water although I don't intend to dump it either in sand or salt water lol.

@snapper May I know which Penn you got?

I will be using mainly braid and maybe last 100m on mono, what do you guys think? and is a 50lb braid an overkill too?

Thanks for the reply guys, I did realised saragosa 8000 or 10000 might be a bit overkill for tailor, whiting and flathead in general. I'm more targeting for kingfish and jewfish if I can find them (as I'm only a beginner, I don't really know what is a good spot other than pier 2 but there's always tonnes of people there)

I am probably looking for a reel that will last a while and from seeing the reviews, it seems the saragosa is full shielded and protected from the sand and water although I don't intend to dump it either in sand or salt water lol.

@snapper May I know which Penn you got?

I will be using mainly braid and maybe last 100m on mono, what do you guys think? and is a 50lb braid an overkill too?

Mate

Despite claims by the manufacturer, the Saragosa isn't fully sealed and will allow the ingress of saltwater. A Penn SSV is better sealed against salt water than a Saragosa but is much heavier. The SSV also has a stronger drag.

Any reel will last a long time if you look after it. My Penn SS is over 30years old, copped an absolute flogging on beached with big fish and still runs like a swiss watch.

Edited by Crossfire63

• 2 months later...

Learn to use an ALVEY around sand. You can't kill them and easy to use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree Alvey all the way.. BUT his rod that he is trying to get a reel for is probably an eggbeater style not suited to the Alvey. But if it is a low mount mate get an Alvey you won't look back!!

Cheers

Bear

I have 2 Shimano Ultergra 5500 ci4 . loaded with 15 lb fins 40g Casts a mile , light weight , Perfect. I change my leader size depending on that I want to catch. The fins breaks at about 25 lb . If thats not enough fill one of the spare spools with heavier braid. Yes you get spare spools! With spacers so you dont need backing on lighter lines! They are pushing the budget a bit, but well worth it. I have them on a pair of 13'6" live fibre rods. Regards Howard.

• 4 weeks later...

Im an Alvey man too and it constantly amazes me how people seem to avoid them for beach fishing.... Comparatively cheap and will outlast you, all you need to do is spend an afternoon or two learning (and appreciating) these reels for beach fishing.

I am aware that the OP already has a rod, but he is looking to spend $300 on a reel. That almost gets you up there with a decent alvey combo.

Edited by SquidMarks

As the others have stated the 10000 size may be a little big and heavy, my daughter has managed kings over 20 kg on her 8000 saragossa as well as much bigger sharks etc, a 6000 should be ok in my opinion.

Also mentioned was the Fin nor lethal which is a much cheaper reel and gets some good reviews. In saying that I went to buy one from my local dealer last week who advised me against it due to a few returns that had failed, he was also going to stop selling them, I did get to see a broken one though!!!

Just to add Shimano have 10 year warrantys and a very high resale value as long as you look after it.

Jon

Edited by JonD

Guest Guest123456789

A 6000 Saragosa and 50lbs braid is ok IMO. Braid and reel is probably heavier than most would use land based fishing for kings and Jews and what you sacrifice in weight and general ease of use is offset by standing a better chance of landing the monster metre plus fish of a lifetime.

A 10000 reel is complete overkill.

Personally I'm a bit of a wuss, I like lighter gear and catching more smaller fish and getting busted off by the big fish and sharks etc. My own personal choice.

Good luck with it!! Cheers,

Luke

I've landed jews to 23 kg and numerous sharks up over 50kg from the beach on what I consider light gear. I opt for thinner line giving me more capacity rather than heavy line from the shore, besides you would be very hard pushed to put any more drag than 5 kg through a beach or rock fishing rod ( try it ) maybe don't as there aren't many beach rods that could do it without breaking.

Most of my beach gear has 20 lb braid but you also need to be aware many braids break double the rating, I use drag settings around 3kg ( two 3 lt juice bottles full ).

Jon

Edited by JonD

I've landed jews to 23 kg and numerous sharks up over 50kg from the beach on what I consider light gear. I opt for thinner line giving me more capacity rather than heavy line from the shore, besides you would be very hard pushed to put any more drag than 5 kg through a beach or rock fishing rod ( try it ) maybe don't as there aren't many beach rods that could do it without breaking.

Most of my beach gear has 20 lb braid but you also need to be aware many braids break double the rating, I use drag settings around 3kg ( two 3 lt juice bottles full ).

Jon

if their full of water thats 6kg 1lt of water = 1kg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:42 PM, shakey55 said:

Learn to use an ALVEY around sand. You can't kill them and easy to use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree Shakey55.. grew up beach fishing on Nth Entrance beach and an Alvey doesn't die.

Mark.