Bellambi Snapper

Guest 4myson

Guest 4myson

With the new outboard on the back of my boat I was just ITCHING to get out there & Christen it !!! So after a few messages to Mark (AMKR) & Warren (REELLAXING) during the week & with Sunday looking the pic of the days we decided to drive down to Bellambi & launch our boats out there . We were in a group of 3 boats including my neighbour from down the road . We got to Bellambi ramp bang on 4:30 am & was relieved to see that we were among the first group there since we heard that Bellambi gets PACKED at early mournings . After a quick launch we headed to our first mark in about 50 meters of water (took a while as we were new to the area & it was PITCH BLACK & 1.5 meter swells) . Once we were on our first mark we started a burley trail & deployed our rods out with a mixture of half pillys & strip baits .. NO ACTION for over an hour & thinking should i have just stayed in bed ? The guys on the other boats had no action either so I made the call to head over to a spot i fished last winter more inshore & boy was I GLAD we moved !!!! As soon as we got on our secound mark which was in around 30 meters of water my brother in-law Alex was on . After reaching for the net i realised this was only just legal ! But Alex was OVER THE MOON, high fiving me & carrying on like a kid in a Candy Shop!!! As he has never caught any snapper bigger than a 15cm Squire ....Boy was he in for a treat when the action started to hot up after the burley trail started to take affect , that 31cm snapper that he caught ended up looking like a Squire compared to the rest that were caught with my Biggest A new PB going Bang on 64cm !!!! Alex's best for the day was nice one at 41cm ! And you can tell by our face's we were both w Happy Chappy's . We did get plagued by huge SGT Bakers & small barracudas & the Biggest suprise of all when i Hooked a Baby MAKO who put on several spectacular Aerial Shows before finally winning it's freedom by biting threw the 60lb leader which was no match for those teeth . After that things went quite i decided to head east of bellambi for a troll after hearing several reports earlier in the week of Tuna being caught , but after 2 hours not being able to turn a reel we called it a day a headed back in to the ramp which by 1:00pm was FULL ... All in all a Great day out with Great Company...post-34552-0-08956500-1468805638_thumb.jpgpost-34552-0-26144300-1468805880_thumb.jpgpost-34552-0-62104200-1468805625_thumb.jpgpost-34552-0-69989700-1468805650_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4myson

That mako was a big suprise, as soon as you lost it I threw out half a bonito on an overhead and crossed my fingers!

I'm pretty sure I fell asleep on the car trip home, walked in the door and crashed on the lounge - I was exhausted after that 3am wake up! I'm voting we start at 5:30 next time so I can get another hours sleep!

Warren got a big 50cm snapper and I got a 36, we got a few smaller varieties too. I picked up a mowie aswell.

We were plagued with sgt baker and barracuda as well (aren't they bloody cranky when you pull them out of the water!)

Catch of the day goes to Warren who caught the biggest chunk of Australia I've ever seen landed on a spinning reel.

Edited by amkr

Guest 4myson

Thanks guys . Loading the boat back up on the trailer wasn't too bad ... Had a bloke next to our trailer on the ramp cursing & swearing about how $@IT the ramp was as he was trying to load up his tinny , My brother in-law said what are you complaining about "We gotta load up our boat that weighs over 2 tonne " he kept quite after that & luckily enough we managed to load up without any issues ...

With the new outboard on the back of my boat I was just ITCHING to get out there & Christen it !!! So after a few messages to Mark (AMKR) & Warren (REELLAXING) during the week & with Sunday looking the pic of the days we decided to drive down to Bellambi & launch our boats out there . We were in a group of 3 boats including my neighbour from down the road . We got to Bellambi ramp bang on 4:30 am & was relieved to see that we were among the first group there since we heard that Bellambi gets PACKED at early mournings . After a quick launch we headed to our first mark in about 50 meters of water (took a while as we were new to the area & it was PITCH BLACK & 1.5 meter swells) . Once we were on our first mark we started a burley trail & deployed our rods out with a mixture of half pillys & strip baits .. NO ACTION for over an hour & thinking should i have just stayed in bed ? The guys on the other boats had no action either so I made the call to head over to a spot i fished last winter more inshore & boy was I GLAD we moved !!!! As soon as we got on our secound mark which was in around 30 meters of water my brother in-law Alex was on . After reaching for the net i realised this was only just legal ! But Alex was OVER THE MOON, high fiving me & carrying on like a kid in a Candy Shop!!! As he has never caught any snapper bigger than a 15cm Squire ....Boy was he in for a treat when the action started to hot up after the burley trail started to take affect , that 31cm snapper that he caught ended up looking like a Squire compared to the rest that were caught with my Biggest A new PB going Bang on 64cm !!!! Alex's best for the day was nice one at 41cm ! And you can tell by our face's we were both w Happy Chappy's . We did get plagued by huge SGT Bakers & small barracudas & the Biggest suprise of all when i Hooked a Baby MAKO who put on several spectacular Aerial Shows before finally winning it's freedom by biting threw the 60lb leader which was no match for those teeth . After that things went quite i decided to head east of bellambi for a troll after hearing several reports earlier in the week of Tuna being caught , but after 2 hours not being able to turn a reel we called it a day a headed back in to the ramp which by 1:00pm was FULL ... All in all a Great day out with Great Company...attachicon.gifIMAG0695.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0697.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0688.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0699.jpg

Look at that smile Im glad you got onto them :)

Guest 4myson

Thanks Harold & Basil .. Hey mark apparently my neighbor hooked up a little mako as well but chewed him off , he was fishing just north off us . Farvos it was good you got there as well pity we didn't meet up ....

Well done. Did you anchor up to get onto those? Have seen a couple of Makos at the Ramp. I don't like killing sharks myself. Always let them go. Especially Makos. Can't bring myself to kill them. Too precious.

Guest 4myson

nice work mate I should have come !!!!

Offer is always there mate ....

Well done. Did you anchor up to get onto those? Have seen a couple of Makos at the Ramp. I don't like killing sharks myself. Always let them go. Especially Makos. Can't bring myself to kill them. Too precious.

Same here mate , never thought of taking one home ( but heard that they are awesome eating) . As with the fishing for snapper I prefer drifting to cover more ground & a constant berley trail a must ....

Offer is always there mate .... Same here mate , never thought of taking one home ( but heard that they are awesome eating) . As with the fishing for snapper I prefer drifting to cover more ground & a constant berley trail a must ....

Yupp Burley is the key. We went out on Sunday as well but stayed in very close. Caught 7 snapper but all Squires. Nothing worthy of writing a report for. Would trade my 7 for your big boy any day.

Edited by recurve