Quick Pig fish

Houdini

Went for a quick fish off the rocks in the eastern suburbs after work Thursday.

Took 2 loaves of stale bread for berley and 1 fresh for bait.

Had 4 young spero’s working there way around the washes towards me and they had a drummer and said there were a few around so things looked promising

Got a couple of kelpies to start things off and a just legal drummer so let it go.

I was getting good bites but missing the hookups I thought there might have been lots of smaller size maybe just legals about.

I persisted and finally hooked a steam train.

It took off to the right and I had to grab the spool to stop it taking line towards a ledge.

It turned and then took off left and arced in under me and reefed up. I tried a couple of different angles with a little pressure and some slack line as well for a little bit to no avail in the end a little too much pressure saw the 20lb fluro let go.

I still had a good length leader so re-rigged and got back into it.

I got a few more bites and a couple of pulled hooks which was frustrating after loosing a good fish.

Sometimes it’s a fine line between getting reefed, pulling a hook or landing the fish.

I do like drummer fishing for its brutality though.

I finished off the berley and was down to the last of the bait and it was getting dark as well.

I was struggling to see the line against the water and was holding the rod up a bit higher to see the line against the horizon.

The slack line came tight I dipped the rod a smidge then struck and I was into another good fish. I put the pressure on it but tried to let it surge a bit as well.

I felt some rubbing and knew it was in contact with the structure so I pushed the rod out and away to the left and stayed in touch. I got some more winds and eased off the pressure a little after another couple of winds it was on the surface. I had to wait for the swell to wash him out and he took a little dive but no drag the wave came and I washed him up and out. The leader was scuffed and had a few little pig tails where he got to the reef but it held in just long enough. He went 46cm. That was it for me pack up gut him and off home a happy camper.

post-15179-0-29313800-1470981503_thumb.jpg

post-15179-0-62331800-1470981511_thumb.jpg