Opinions on Formosa boats

Ojay Samson

Hi all, I have been in the market for a new (used)boat to upgrade my 3.7m tinny for a few months now.

I have found a boat and would like peoples opinions on the boat.

Its a Formosa 4.5m centre console with a mercury 60hp bigfoot motor on the back and on a dunbier trailer with new brakes and axles.

There is barely anything online about this boat in general in terms of reviews and such so I have no clue if its good, just what i am told about formosa's being nice from a couple of people.

this particular hull is not the usual hull that is produced now with full transom pod, this seems to be the early model with just an engine well and i can only find 1 other boat online which fits this description and it is from 2004 and cost $15,990 from a dealer with a 4 stroke 60 hp yamaha with 482 hours.

How much do you guys/gals think this boat im looking at is worth in general factoring everything in the package (it is a private sale)?

things to note about boat:

- 4.5m formosa CC 2003

- 60hp mercury bigfoot 2003 (60ELPTO) - 280 hours

- Dunbier braked trailer 2003(brakes just been replaced & new axle/ new u bolts and winch and led trailer lights etc)

- hydraulic steering

- live bait tank

- lowrance fish finder

- under floor fuel tanks

- all safety gear included

- never had any repairs in hull or anything

- bilge pump

- new vhf radio

- lowrance elite 5x/ compass etc

- dual battery

- wash down pump

- speed/rmp/trim/hour gauge

-

the boat is located 5 hours away from me in dubbo, and im from sydney so im planning to head up soon to check it out and do the deal if it all checks out as the seller and I have agreed on a price.

i would appreciate if people could give me some first hand opinions and such on the BMT package. i know in general there is a lot of hate about mercury motors but from what ive seen there must be a market for mercurys because theres a few of them being used. (i do not subscribe to the usual bandwagon brand bashing but i do not have any 1st hand experience either with mercury so anyone qualified to participate please do).

these are the photos of the boat: with the last 2 to show what I am coming from.

post-13877-0-58044600-1471402705_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-23767000-1471402712_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-65640700-1471402718_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-71315000-1471402726_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-01414400-1471402734_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-55096800-1471402743_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-63320500-1471402752_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-09040200-1471402760_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-46172800-1471402766_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-74281400-1471402772_thumb.jpg

My current tinny (for sale if anyones interested, just pm me as I have an add)

post-13877-0-13328100-1471403375_thumb.jpgpost-13877-0-92643200-1471403428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ojay Samson

Hi Ojay

I had a Mercury 25Hp 2007 and once i had it service by a Mercury Dealer in Asquith it was a top motor that was reliable and easy to start, prior to that the original owner serviced it and it was a pig to start when cold (ok When Warm) and the oil/fuel mixture was way out on the carby, plus he took the thermostat out to cover up the fact the water pump was shot.

Like all motors if maintained then it should be fine,

i was surprised by how many people could not provide proof of service (Invoice, repair order or even a mechanic name), yet claimed a marine mechanic always did the work or their had a mate who was a marine mechanic and he always did the work, I call BS as even if i service my own motors i have the parts receipt which i file away in the garage to keep track of when i did the service.

if he doesn't have receipts or records i would call a forum sponsors and get a price on a full service so you know its done and ready for the water,

Same goes for trailer bearings and brakes, service receipts or jack it up and spin the wheel and listen feel for any noise or roughness. (Although you say new axle and brakes)

Boat

Don't know anything about this brand in the smaller runabouts, but i guess its like all alloy boats,look for corrosion, welds (All seams, Gunnels, Under sides, and hidden areas)

P.s I see a similar boat on Kissing Point Road Dundas opposite Fremont St near the army barracks for sale when i drive home, looks neat and set up well for fishing, might be a 4.3mtr for $8,000

PPS: checked it out it's a Savage Garnet 435 with a 40hp Merc

Edited by jeffb5.8

Thanks for the info Jeff, genuinely appreciate it. Makes me feel less nervous about mercury.

Also thanks so much for the pps as I was about to set off to hunt for the boat you mentioned to see if it was better value (saves me having to travel 5 hours to go see it). I think in that case with all things considered I am still better off with the formosa. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for the input about the engine. Does anyone have any experience with the hull? Or centre consoles in general in this size? I plant to take it out past the heads to visit the local reefs on good days. I was pretty set on getting a front steer runabout style but after trying an old top ender 435 side console with after market pod and realising the amazing fishing space, these sort of boats definitely became contenders (sc/cc).

Would anyone know if the ride would be unbearable in a 4.5m tinny with a 60hp big foot pushing it along? Ploughing though the water as opposed planing on top. I unfortunately can't take it out for a water test because the water around Dubbo is flooded apparently and too much logs etc floating around and the owner doesn't want to hit stuff (old retired couple that is selling to travel around oz in their caravan) . That and apparently u can't go over 8 knots anyways so can't really test it out until I'm back in Sydney.

I would still put it in the water, otherwise lots can be hidden even just a quick drive at 8 knots and you will find leaks and you can get the engine warm and see how easy it gets on the plane, handling, set up and starting cold and warm.

So if it checks out, pay the deposit based on it being seaworthy as they should know your serious by driving 5hrs.

P.s: Atleast check out the river to see if it is in flood and has lots of logs floating, if it doesnt then i would throw it in and test, wouldn't buy a car without road test?

Edited by jeffb5.8

Thanks Jeff, yeah I'm pretty convinced that I will insist on the water test. Just to much to gamble otherwise, he's an old timer so I'm sure he just couldn't be bothered to tow/ launch etc so will just need to enlighten him that he doesn't need to do anything, we will even tow it to the ramp etc, he just needs to come along if trust is an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Ojay how did the inspection go?

Hi Jeff, so the inspection went ok, however doing a water test at the time was not an option due to the debris in the water and filth on the surface. I ended up buying the boat and actually been working on it on and off just replacing things like the entire fuel system and adding things like a water fuel separating filter. i might make a post at the end of it all as i have been documenting on and off what ive been doing. i still need need to redo the wiring and install other bits and pieces/ investigate the harder than usual gear changing from control box/ general outboard service including water impeller etcetc.