Inspection Hatch

antonywardle

Hi

Anyone know what the point of this small tray is on the back of my boat?

It has a small hole in it for drainage?

post-33501-0-86358700-1473796223_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of cutting out the bottom of it, then covering it with a hatch which will give me

much easier access to my batteries. There are two of them, one on each side.

I'm guessing that they were used for leaving things in that were a bit mucky.

Antony,

My first boat a Savage Avalon had similar fiberglass moulding (although not as deep as yours). Before you chop them out, bear in mind the shape of the moulding adds a fair bit of structural rigidity to your stern area - you don't want to end up with flexing of your transom.

Cheers Zoran

HI Guys

thanks for the tips.

I have another one in the middle of the boat and that has a plywood top so I guess that could be used for bait and ice.

These ones are on each side, maybe I better try a better photo. I was wondering about the structural rigidity of cutting

them out and putting hatches in. I suspect that I wouldn't lose too much as long as I properly reinforced the holes.

Also, I might even be able to install a removable esky. The main aim is easy access to the batteries.

Antony,

Seems you are focused on access to your batteries - why do you need frequent access to them?

I have 3 batteries across the stern of my boat all sitting in strapped down battery boxes... I inspect them 1-2 times per year. For trickle charging I have connected separate wiring to each that feeds through the battery boxes and I connect the charger to them via an anderson type plug (M/F) - I have made the the lead for the anderson plug easily accessible so that I do not need to physically access the batteries each time.

Its a pretty big decision to chop away at your hull (it was designed that way for a purpose) - perhaps you can solve your problem in another way.

Cheers Zoran

Hi Zoran. The batteries are very hard to get at so tying them down is a pain. Yes, I only need to do it every now

and then but I have to lie down in the boat and reach a long way in cramped conditions. Maybe I can relocate them a bit further

forward. Thanks for your concerns. I hadn't considered transom flex. As for charging them, I have an anderson plug also

but I usually, just connect my charger to the engine and change the battery switch position. Anyway, here are some more photos

The hollow bits are sort of like the lid on the box as far as I can tell. I don't think that they will take much away from any strength,

especially after they get a hatch on them, As you can see, the gelcoat isn't int he best of condition either. Its an old boat, which might

actually be in better condition than me!

post-33501-0-09094200-1474236131_thumb.jpg

post-33501-0-64122200-1474236136_thumb.jpg

post-33501-0-36786100-1474236143_thumb.jpg

post-33501-0-93185000-1474236148_thumb.jpg

post-33501-0-35633800-1474236154_thumb.jpg

Edited by antonywardle

Hi Antony, I can see you also have the moulded seats there at the stern - so starting to get a sense of the restricted access to the batteries.

I'd still be inclined to find a way to perhaps slide the batteries forward clear of the seats when required rather then chop at the stern moulding.

Are you able to snap a picture looking under the moulded seats to show the batteries and perhaps take a height clearance measurement from the floor to the bottom of the seats? I have an idea on how you may be able to construct a sliding base from two pieces of waterproof form ply.

Cheers Zoran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Antony,

Sorry have been away for a while so very tardy in replying.  Thanks for posting pictures - it makes it a lot clearer - I don't think you need to do any cutting or fabricating. From what I can see, the batteries are placed on pedestals at the stern to give them some protection from any water you may get in your hull. The simplest solution may be for you to invest in 2 plastic battery boxes which you mount forward just under the seats. The one I purchased from W...ths many years ago came with tie down straps which you could secure to your floor. Although not elevated, the batteries would be protected from the elements and would also be much more accessible.

(PS- It's always a good idea to have the batteries in a box anyway - to this day I believe I owe my life and my wife's life to the fact we had the battery on our 4.3m Savage in a battery box - but that's another story.)

Cheers Zoran