First fish

savit

Hi All,

I was recently browsing FR forum and found an interesting bluefin's post about puffer lure record. Funny enough, puffer was my first catch in NSW waters back in summer 2012. The photo is below. The fish was caught on piece of chicken on a running sinker with a large circle hook from Balmoral wharf at night. I was not sure it was a fish till the last moment until I pulled it to the light. It took some time to get my hook back and to release the fish as the fish had strong jaws and a lot of spikes. I had nothing to measure the catch at that time, however for comparison - my shoes are 13 US size (31cm).

savit

post-31601-0-22090800-1474595885_thumb.jpg

Hey mate,

Thats one hell of a puffer lol! In the fishraider record section, lure records refer to fish caught on lures like hardbodies or plastics, you caught yours on bait, so you cant claim that one i think, however if you check bait records that puffer will probably win there!

Good luck,

Tag

Hey Savit, strangely enough that was the first fish I caught in Oz, back in 73. I bumped into a guy at Paddy's market (literally) and it turned out that he lived in the next street to me in England. He was down from Lake Cathie for the weekend. Anyway he invited me up to his place for a few days and took me out in his boat. The Toad was the first catch and a Bronze Whaler was my next. Great fishing experience. That's a decent size fish mate.

Thats one hell of a puffer lol! In the fishraider record section, lure records refer to fish caught on lures like hardbodies or plastics, you caught yours on bait, so you cant claim that one i think, however if you check bait records that puffer will probably win there!

Good luck,

Tag

Thanks mate. Not sure if it qualifies for some bait records as I do not have exact measurement of the fish. Perhaps I can go back again to Balmoral for better estimates. Though locals might look at me like an idiot when I try make some measurements on those wharf timber boards.

Hey Savit, strangely enough that was the first fish I caught in Oz, back in 73. I bumped into a guy at Paddy's market (literally) and it turned out that he lived in the next street to me in England. He was down from Lake Cathie for the weekend. Anyway he invited me up to his place for a few days and took me out in his boat. The Toad was the first catch and a Bronze Whaler was my next. Great fishing experience. That's a decent size fish mate.

Thanks Big Neil. Honestly, it was my first catch in OZ too when "fishing bug" bit me after long (20 years) fishing break again. My pre-OZ/European experience was Hard-Bodies with Centerpins and bait fishing with fishing poles in the freshwater. I do miss sometimes my bum freezing challenges while ice jigging. I do not remember what was second catch here in Oz , however I do remember that I lost a number of good fish in the beginning due to fully locked drag, impatience and lack of local knowledge. The second hmm.. unusual fish that impressed me, besides earlier mentioned "underwater hedgehog", was a hairtail which I saw top water at the same Balmoral wharf at night - I used floats filled with fish oil which attracted the baitfish and consequently this predator. By the time I unpacked again my already packed rods - the hairtail gone.

Puffers are such fun fish to encounter underwater. They are pretty slow and even the slowest of swimmers should be able to keep up with them, they often give us fits of the giggles with those giant eyes from that funny round body.

You wouldn't want to get bitten from one as they can take a seriouse chunk out of you depending how big they are, we've found them much bigger than size charts claim they grow.

Jon

Yes Mike89, it felt like dragging the wet rag bag. Initially I thought I caught a seaweed which was my regular catch at that time.

I had a similar feeling when I was pulling octopus, however in that case "the bag" tried to anchor where ever it could and fought every inch.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Those things are annoying,I caught a big one a couple of months ago in Port Hacking was about 40+cm.

The burley I was using attracted it.

Had to cut the line wasn't going to touch that thing.

Deadly poisonous to eat.

Edited by D.G