Rose Bay Mon 26/9

Niall

Hi Everyone,

I've spent the past few months researching and waiting for the weather to get a little warmer so I can start fishing with gusto. I haven't fished since I was a little kid so I've been expecting a massive learning curve and lashings of frustration. Today didn't disappoint.

Got up and hit up Kmart first thing for a choice of lures. Ended up with some Gulp! Minnows in nuclear chicken, pumpkinseed and some baby shrimp (banana prawn). I'd been out to Global Tackle the week before and picked up some Herb Reed Original Grubsters and some 1/6 jig heads. I was targeting flatties, though given my level of experience I would've been happy with a bite or two and nothing else.

I stalked up and down the wall along New South Head Road stopping at the stairs that lead down to the water and casting in from there. Changed to different lures throughout. Didn't seem to make any difference. I could see plenty of little whiting cruising the sand flats but I think my hook and lures were a bit big to interest them. I had a few take a look at my lure and then skulk off right under my nose! Needless to say - nothing in the flatty department.

Walked around to the other side where the beach is and waded out to try my luck near the boat shed. I've read that there's flatties here. They must've seen me coming because one again - donuts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I be casting toward the boats that are moored out where it's deeper? Or should I cast toward the boat ramp/shed?

Did another couple of laps of the wall but nothing wanted what I was throwing in. Again I saw loads of whiting in the shallows.

When I got home I decided it might be an idea to have a go at the whiting with some bait so I changed my rig and switched to a running sinker to a swivel and about a metre of leader. Attached the smallest hook I had and brought some sliced chicken that I soaked in anchovy oil. Unfortunately all that was to no avail. When I got back the tide was nearing it's highest point but the whiting didn't want chicken. I saw a couple of schools of what looked like blackfish (silver with black stripes running vertically down there side) cruising in weeds under where the Morton Bay fig trees hang over the wall. Also there might have been a couple of kings further off but I can't be sure.

This fishing thing is hard : )

Niall

How did you fish the lures for the flatties? Keep the lure movement pretty slow and it is critical to keep it on the bottom.The jig head weight and lure selection is pretty good. I fish the flats near the boathouse occasionally they are good, just cast and keep walking across after a few.

try mixing up retrieves, some that speed, some a bit quicker, maybe some hops and then let it sit on the bottom. make sure that your lure if its a soft plastic is always moving and wriggling. No point if your retrieve is so slow that it doesnt really let the fish know its there

Hi Niall. The flats were kind to me and my boy last summer/autumn. Great spot casting towards the boats. We use squidgy wrigglers in natural colours but really flatties will smash anything that swims by if they are hungry. Might see you there sometime. Cheers Duncan.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

There are definitely flatties in Rose Bay. I spent most of last summer fishing it and sussing out the ocean side, which is on the other side of the ferry terminal stuff to where you were fishing I think.

Most of the local old blokes who fish for whiting there told me they don't really take anything but sand worms, so change bait for that one. The smaller whiting will also take a bream hard body lure too with a moderate retrieve.

The flatties will take anything hitting the bottom. I was using a fat crank lure and blades to pull them out. It's easier if you want to go wading there but be VERY careful as the bay is full of little sting rays that will mess you up.

This is a good little hole if you are there on a low tide: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33%C2%B051'54.3%22S+151%C2%B016'10.6%22E/@-33.865095,151.2690595,179m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.865095!4d151.269608

But I found the bay generally fishes on high tide or just either side of it. Round the boats you will get small tailor and flats and what have you here:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33%C2%B052'12.5%22S+151%C2%B015'56.3%22E/@-33.87013,151.2643325,426m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.87013!4d151.265638

And wading the flats between while casting will get flathead and whiting.

Good luck!

Thanks so much to everyone that's replied. The generosity and encouragement amongst fishermen online is one of the many things that I love about the sport. It stands in pretty stark contrast to the pettiness and pointless nastiness that passes for conversation on the internet most of the time.

BrassRoots you're an absolute champ. I've heard a few stories about the sting ray and numb ray population around Rose Bay. I was pretty wary heading out yesterday. Even saw a couple slowly gliding through the water on the other side along the wall. They sure are pretty but I wouldn't want to tangle with one!

Cheers Duncan! You'll spot me out there over the next few weeks. For the moment I'll be the guy with the green Coopers hat looking frustrated ; )

Thanks again folks!

Mate if you're after flatties in particular, id ditch the soft plastics and pick up a few ecogear zx30s or 35s depending on your rods cast weight, they'll cast longer and you'll cover more ground and put it in front of the noses of more fish. I reckon the vibrations from it really get the fish attracted to it. try small little hops maybe 3 or 4 in a row that only lift it 10-20 cm off the bottom with 2-10 second pauses in these sets. a lot of the time they'll eat it on the pause and when you go to start again, fish on!

plenty of flatties in there mate. that hole BrassRoots pointed out can fish well, however you are better off focusing your efforts on the last hour of the run out, wading out along the drop off opposite the rowing shed. can walk a suprisingly long way out - just cover as much ground as possible, and keep your plastic on the bottom. bloodworm wrigglers are generally my go to, but they aren't too fussy.

pelagics will often bust up in amongst the moorings, so always have a little metal slice at the ready if they do. have even had whitebait swimming up my shorts and kings following them up there!

and as others have mentioned, careful of the rays. i've been nabbed by both stingrays and numbrays down there. not nuch fun, especially 100m out with the sun just about down!

good luck, interested to see how you fare.

Edited by mitchie18092