What car would you recommend for a P Plater

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I know there is some motor vehicle experience out there in the Fishraider community so I would really appreciate some advice in what sort of car

you think would be appropriate for my son who will be getting his P's soon.

These are my thoughts but feel free to add yours

1) I will match how much he saves - he reckons by March he will have about 3K - So is 6K going to be enough?

2) I would like to see him in a safer car - He is a very responsible boy but we all know what its like to be 17!

3) He is still at school and works part time so he really only earns around $120 per week so running costs are an issue.

4) I could chip in more to buy the car if needed but like all my kids I want him to understand the value of things. Happy to assist with running costs if there were

unusual maintenance requirements. Also, I reckon if he's a typical P Plater there will be a few dings and scratches quick enough so a bigger investment is probably not a great idea.

5) He will probably mostly use it for driving to his soccer games, going to mates places , taking the GF home that sort of thing. Maybe going a few hundred k's out of Sydney on a day trip.

6) It would be nice I guess if it wasn't the un-coolest car on earth... One part of me says "You are lucky to even get a car" but the other says "its nice to have a car that doesn't look like you borrowed it off your Grandma".

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Fragmeister, have a look at automotive section of very popular AU Whirlpool forum

Corolla is usually suggested as a first car.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
No links please

I always told my boys that I would buy them a 1968 4 cyl Volvo with 2 cylinders and all the seats ripped out. 0-100 in a month. Older boy drives a Toyota Yaris which cost us $8500(him 4500, us 4000) , younger boy drives an Echo which cost us $4000- he elected to save himself money and just took the $4k present from us. Both cars are unglamourous , and relatively safe.We taught both to drive manuals from day 1, lots of their mates can only drive autos. Older boy is a bit more cocky on the road and has been told off by the wife and I on numerous occasions about attitude- but no prangs or tickets (yet). Younger boy is more cautious but more inattentive and has a speed camera ticket already-good luck with it all- its a nervewracking time for any parent (I saw two mates killed in car accidents before I was 23 and the look in the parents faces is one you never forget)

Guest 4myson

Coming from a Mechanical Background go for Toyota or anything Japanese ...Subaru is another great make (Liberty / Impreza) if your after something a bit sporty But just keep away from the turbo engines , Not that they have issues but due to the restrictions on his Licence . Honda's aren't bad just a bit more expensive on parts....Commodores, VZ onwards are a another reliable car & cheap to maintain but do use more fuel if he's after something bigger but stick to the V6 if you choose to go down that path.....

I agree with above (i.e. steer away from anything euro in this price range);

I'd suggest a Mazda3.... $6k(ish) should get you into a 2004-2006 2.0L model, if you save a bit more say $7-8k(ish) it could get you into the sportier SP23 with bigger 2.3L engine.... This would be much "cooler" than a Corolla!

Edited by PlayerOne

Guest Guest123456789

Get him a van! Toyota hiace preferably. Aside from being super cool they're safe because there is no way he can race it. My brother got this as his first car, used to go camping up the coast in it it was awesome.

Here is a search I did there are some good buys there many look like ex trade vehicles

http://carsales.mobi/cars/results?q=((((Service%3D%5BCarsales%5D%26(State%3D%5BNew%20South%20Wales%5D%26Region%3D%5BSydney%20Metro%5D))%26BodyStyle%3D%5BVan%5D)%26Price%3Drange%5B3000..6000%5D)%26((Make%3D%5BFord%5D%7CMake%3D%5BMazda%5D)%7CMake%3D%5BToyota%5D))&sort=Price

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Looks like the Corolla is a common theme... that's what my two oldest girls and their mum have.

I will consult the boy and see what he has been thinking about ( always better if he thinks its his decision)

Cheers

Jim

What car??? One covered in bubble wrap! Lol

I know the feeling Jim, my eldest just got his Learners yesterday! Scary!!!

Kids generally don't think practical, they want cool. No matter what you choose, just tell them you'll put a good stereo in it and they'll be happy!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Keep in mind you'll usually pay a premium for anything Toyota,Mazda etc due to the badge with usually higher km,s than say the Koreans like Hyundai etc.My pick with badge snobbery aside would be the Koreans hands down for outright value for money.You will find something younger with less km,s on the car and proberbly with more features than the others for the same coin.

Just a thought,but it's up to you and your son to decide in the end.

Good luck with it mate.

Actually to add to this, some years ago I asked our panel beater (when your wife hits as many things as mine in her car you tend to need a panel beater on a first name basis), what was safe and he reckoned the Mitsubishi Magna had the strongest chassis and bumper bars in the business.

Hi Jim

I have 3 6K cars on the front lawn, all Jap cars, all no trouble.

1 Nissan Pulsar

1 Toyota Corolla

1 Mitsubishi Lancer

all 3 are good but must say i prefer driving the Mitsubishi Lancer and Toyota Corolla when i have too.

All have no trouble for last ?? 3 years.

I drive a Hyundai i30 Turbo Diesel sports (small car) what a dream to drive. You dont have 30K to spend but!

Dave

You could buy private a reasonably nice early - mid 2000's Mazda 6 for something around that, my boy recently bought a 2005 Mazda 6 luxury sports with 130000 geniune kilometres for $7k, nice car leather interior and sunroof. Just make sure you spend your $40 doing your full revs checks , I caught one fella out with a too good to be true deal, speedo was wound back 100 000ks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could buy private a reasonably nice early - mid 2000's Mazda 6 for something around that, my boy recently bought a 2005 Mazda 6 luxury sports with 130000 geniune kilometres for $7k, nice car leather interior and sunroof. Just make sure you spend your $40 doing your full revs checks , I caught one fella out with a too good to be true deal, speedo was wound back 100 000ks

Well said Fozzy

A car that I looked at had lost about 100K + whilst that owner owned it

It was a bargain as well

Was as cranky as ....... But at the same time happy as

It would be hard to sell that car if you did buy it as revs check waves a big red flag!

Jim revs check is a must

JD

Edited by Johndory

I'd stay clear of anything bigger than about 2.5l , had numerous red and green p platers trying to hoon off at lights nxt to me ,although I might have something with what drive ,v6 morepower more dangerous especially in the wet , wish I had a dash cam

The small corolla or similar is the obvious choice.

To go with an older car they really have to be into that in which case the question probably wouldn't of been asked.

The other thing he could consider is a small 4wd that might get him onto the beaches and things like that. They would probably cost more to run though.

We bought a little Toyota Echo a few years ago which has been faultless. Fuel economy sits on 5.5lt per 100km and even though it's a small car it's what we use every time we head up to Sydney with the three kids (12-14-16). Unlike our Ford Focus ( latest model) the echo has good visibility all round which is why we like it in the city, being so small helps in tight parking too. I've noticed a bit of change lately with young lads at my daughter's school in their car choices, even the most long haired coolest lads don't mind small economic cars infact one of the coolest lads has a yellow micra.

Jon

Edited by JonD

6 cyl holden hq ute.

Real steel

Class

Safer than plastic and tinfoil.

Pay a small fortune for a decent one nowadays, no change out of $10 or $12k that's for sure.

That's if you can find one that's not full of rust. Love the HQ have had a couple of good ones over the years,

Edited by Fozzy