SPs/HBs and Vibes - is my set-up ok?

StinkyDonut

Hi guys,

I haven't posted here yet, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. I've been doing a lot of research, but have decided that, if I'm going to get it right, I need to get feedback on my particular set-up :)

Current Set-up

Rod: Shimano Bushy Bait Legend - 2 to 6kg I believe (not at home, will check tonight)

Reel: Shimano Sienna 2500

Line: 8lbs Braid, usually 6lbs fluoro leader (up to 10lbs when targeting Flathead)

Main bait: SPs

Where I fish

Cooks River

Flats/Beaches (Rose Bay, Watsons Bay, Vaucluse)

Georges River

Botany Bay (Dolls point, Kyeemagh breakwall)

I'm about to go and buy a fair stock of SPs/HBs and Vibes, as well as a small landing net and a bag. I'd rather avoid buying a new rod/reel, but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and using the best tackle I can for the situation. This is my only method of fishing, I'm addicted. I fish purely landbased.

SPs I'm going to buy

Squidgy Wrigglers 50mm, 80 mm and 100mm (Love the bloodworm ones)

Squidgy Pro Shad 75mm

Z-man grubs in many different variants - 2", 2.5", 5"

Berkley gulp minnow pumpkinseed 2" and 3"

For all of the above, I'll be pairing them with 1/8oz (for the 5"/100mm), 1/16oz (80mm and 2.5/3") and 1/24oz (2") jigheads

HBs and Vibes

I've never used them before, and would love any and all tips and recommendations.

All comments and suggestions are welcome, I really want to do this right and nail the SP fishing in Sydney.

Considering buying

Abu Garcia Veritas 2-4kg with a new 2000 size reel, capping it with 6lbs braid and using 3 to 10 lbs leader depending on the target fish. I'm just not sure I need it with what I have already.

Cheers!

Hey mate what fish are you targeting, I'm guessing mainly flathead/bream?

I'm a massive fan of the Squidgy Fish 65mm (black & gold) for flathead! They have a great paddle tail action.

SP choices sound good, i'd maybe even grab some 1/6 & 1/4oz jigheads to target flatties (depth/current depending of course).

A few suggestions here and there. Other forum members may agree or disagree.

Rod. A word 'bait' and a wide range of rod rating 2-6kg likely means slow/medium action of your rod which is more suitable for fishing with baits rather than lures. I understand that rod still to be confirmed. I would suggest to get a light 7' 2-4 kg rod.

Reel. Reels 2000 and 2500 reels are very close in size. Existing 2500 should do the job. My own preference is using one reel with several spare spools filled with different lines/braides rating to suit the situation. it is very convenient if you want to be mobile and have a choice during the fishing session.

Lures.

SP. Do not buy the whole store stock of SP. Buy a few different and see how it works in your area. Gulp does not last long as it is not actually a plastic. Try to get Squidgies with free scent bottle and see if the scent works for you.

HB. Do not buy the whole store stock of HB. Vibes/Blades(just a different name) - work well for bottom fish such as flathead. Easy to cast particularly in windy weather and easy to loose in the snagged area. I would buy a few of them at different weight. Other HB - consider small poppers, small metal (like halco twisty) and some plastic HB for bream depending what do you intend to target .

Soft vibes - Combination of vibe and SP. Very popular at the moment. Can be expensive.

Hey mate what fish are you targeting, I'm guessing mainly flathead/bream?

I'm a massive fan of the Squidgy Fish 65mm (black & gold) for flathead! They have a great paddle tail action.

SP choices sound good, i'd maybe even grab some 1/6 & 1/4oz jigheads to target flatties (depth/current depending of course).

Hey Macca,

I'm going for Flatties, Bream and Trevally, with bycatch of the odd Salmon, School Jewie and any other larger specimen that happens to be lurking.

I'm a bit curious as to how Jighead weights work, can you elaborate? I'm slightly confused :/

Also, what hook sizes should I go for? I mean for Bream should I be dropping down to smaller hooks?

Your setup sounds fine to me! Everyone will have an opinion on what type of sp's to use but I guess whatever works on the day! Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks mate! I'm really just worried about the rod, as in: could I be catching more fish if I had a more "appropriate" rod...

Hey Macca,

I'm going for Flatties, Bream and Trevally, with bycatch of the odd Salmon, School Jewie and any other larger specimen that happens to be lurking.

I'm a bit curious as to how Jighead weights work, can you elaborate? I'm slightly confused :/

Also, what hook sizes should I go for? I mean for Bream should I be dropping down to smaller hooks?

SD, with reference to your query about jighead weights. You should aim to present the s/p as naturally as possible so the target fish will think it's a natural bait fish. To this end fish as light a jighead as possible to get the s/p down to where the fish are. Obviously in stronger current or deeper water you should increase the jighead size a bit. Similarly it's important to use as light a leader as you can. Fish can be spooked very easily so try to con them into believing that your presentation is REAL. Generally larger hooks and s/ps for flatties, smaller for bream, eps, bass, etc. Remember that fishing is a progresive sport where you're learning all the time, so just get out there and give it a go. Good luck.

SD, with reference to your query about jighead weights. You should aim to present the s/p as naturally as possible so the target fish will think it's a natural bait fish. To this end fish as light a jighead as possible to get the s/p down to where the fish are. Obviously in stronger current or deeper water you should increase the jighead size a bit. Similarly it's important to use as light a leader as you can. Fish can be spooked very easily so try to con them into believing that your presentation is REAL. Generally larger hooks and s/ps for flatties, smaller for bream, eps, bass, etc. Remember that fishing is a progresive sport where you're learning all the time, so just get out there and give it a go. Good luck.

Thanks BN, I've read this and then was thinking back to all those times I rigged up and just said "that'll do". I guess not!

A few suggestions here and there. Other forum members may agree or disagree.

Rod. A word 'bait' and a wide range of rod rating 2-6kg likely means slow/medium action of your rod which is more suitable for fishing with baits rather than lures. I understand that rod still to be confirmed. I would suggest to get a light 7' 2-4 kg rod.

Reel. Reels 2000 and 2500 reels are very close in size. Existing 2500 should do the job. My own preference is using one reel with several spare spools filled with different lines/braides rating to suit the situation. it is very convenient if you want to be mobile and have a choice during the fishing session.

Lures.

SP. Do not buy the whole store stock of SP. Buy a few different and see how it works in your area. Gulp does not last long as it is not actually a plastic. Try to get Squidgies with free scent bottle and see if the scent works for you.

HB. Do not buy the whole store stock of HB. Vibes/Blades(just a different name) - work well for bottom fish such as flathead. Easy to cast particularly in windy weather and easy to loose in the snagged area. I would buy a few of them at different weight. Other HB - consider small poppers, small metal (like halco twisty) and some plastic HB for bream depending what do you intend to target .

Soft vibes - Combination of vibe and SP. Very popular at the moment. Can be expensive.

I've double checked. The rod is the Baitrunner, but 2-4kg. I'd really like to avoid buying a new rod for now, as I need:

- end tackle

- SPs and HBs

- Comfortable backpack

- proper 50 upf clothing. Man I got so sunburnt last weekend, even with putting spf 50+ sunscreen on... Damn you Australian sun!

- landing net

:P

I really appreciate all the feedback guys! You're freakin awesome and such an amazing community!

I've double checked. The rod is the Baitrunner, but 2-4kg. I'd really like to avoid buying a new rod for now, as I need:

- end tackle

- SPs and HBs

- Comfortable backpack

- proper 50 upf clothing. Man I got so sunburnt last weekend, even with putting spf 50+ sunscreen on... Damn you Australian sun!

- landing net

- Baitrunner usually means special Shimano reels with 2x drags. 2-4 kg rating rod looks ok. You don't have to buy rod now . Try flicking plastic with your existing rod and see if you need another rod.

- What do you mean by 'end tackle' - leaders, swivels, jigheads?

- SP-HBs. General suggestions were provided. If you want more value - check sale section on websites and clearance tackle boxes in the shops. There is nothing wrong with them unless you are buying 10 y.o soft plastic or Gulp. A pack of double hooks will convert any vibe or blade into more snag-proof fishing weapon.

- Comfortable backpack. I prefer smaller shoulder bag which fits everything that I need for lure fishing session. Some people are using waist bag. I rarely use backpack for lure fishing - it's not comfortable to take off the pack pack each time to change lure while keeping the rod in the other hand. And it may be very hot in the summer in it.

- proper 50 upf clothing. I prefer Columbia UV long sleeve fishing shirts and similar quick drying pants , so I can also wade if I want. If you are sensitive to the sun - consider UV gloves and UV neck protection, good polarising sunglasses. Also it's good to have a breathable rain jacket if the weather changes. This list never ends...

-landing net. Usually it is used when fishing with very light leaders e.g. 2lb or the dead lift of heavy fish might be required (e.g. rocks). I have 2 - I rarely use them.

Edited by savit

If you're fishing places like Watson's or rose Bay, I'd say you'll want to fish lighter than your current set-up. The water's quite clear and the smaller species are switched on.

A 2-4kg graphite rod like the veritas will make better use of your smaller lure choices too.

• 3 months later...