Murrumbidgee going down the gurgler

big Neil

So I ventured to the Murrumbidgee River today and was glad to see that the water level is starting to drop after 5 months of flooding. It is down by well over a metre and could be good again for Cod opening on Dec 1st. However there is a warning from Fisheries to keep an eye out and report any fish kills. The sudden hot spell is creating areas of black water which will recede into the river...a dangerous situation if there's too much of the low oxygenated water. The pictures shown are of the Sturt Canal offshoot. There's an awful lot of debris gathered against this small weir.

small6073.jpg

small6074.jpg

small6075.jpg

small6077.jpg

small6081.jpg

small6086.jpg

Good photos again Neil. Looks like it still has a bit to go until normal levels. Irrigation demand will soon be on in earnest so levels may drop dramatically in the near future. It’s been a long time in between fishing opportunities. I am tipping there will be good numbers of natives caught this season.

Thanks for your interest guys. Forever the optimist when it comes to fishing, I'm sure there will be lots of quality catches for me this season. I just feel really sad that the Cod can die at such an important time in their cycle (breeding and guarding their nests and fingerlings). I'm chomping at the bit and can't wait till Dec 1st to get among them. The irrigation season has started this week and the channels may provide an opportunity to wet a line before the Cod opening. Don't mind getting rid of some Carp or even a feed of Yellas. Water everywhere is extremely dirty. Here's a few pics from last season. Happy days.

2.jpg

IMG_5664small.jpg

nice fotos neil..my casting finger is twitchin already...I have been watchin river levels on bom..my fave spots are still up but dropping I hope the water comes good for you..on the upside my mate was trying some new lures at dubbo the other day and caught a 54cm cod while testing lures..swam off no worse for the experience haha...all the best for December mate

I'm right handed and have both l/h and r/h reels. Most come r/h as you know. Even my other spinning /bait rods (eggbeaters) are rigged for a left hand wind (my preference). That fish (100cms) and another of 120cms were caught by my mate in a 15 minute frenzy on the 'Bidgee. Hope to get some more this season. Been fitting the boat out with some lights as I intend doing some surface lure night fishing this season. Had a little go at it last season (daytime) and it was very promising. Really looking forward to getting into it. Cheers everyone, tight lines.

On 10/26/2016 at 0:53 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

nice fotos neil..my casting finger is twitchin already...I have been watchin river levels on bom..my fave spots are still up but dropping I hope the water comes good for you..on the upside my mate was trying some new lures at dubbo the other day and caught a 54cm cod while testing lures..swam off no worse for the experience haha...all the best for December mate

Thanks Rick and I hope it's not long before you can get up to the gorge country  to get among them. Cheers.

• 1 month later...