Fisherman survives capsize off Illawarra coast

mrsswordfisherman

MARINE RESCUE NSW
Media Release  

Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Fisherman survives capsize off Illawarra coast

A fisherman has been found alive on Brush Island, off Kioloa, after his small fishing boat overturned off the Illawarra coastline tonight.

The man told rescue crews his lifejacket had saved his life.

Two volunteer crews from Marine Rescue Ulladulla and Ambulance Rescue Helicopter 23 had launched a search operation for the man who was reported missing about 8.45pm.

The man’s wife raised the alarm after he failed to return home as normal around dark and she located his car and boat trailer in the car park at the boat ramp from which he had earlier departed.

Attempts by Marine Rescue Kioloa to contact the man via his marine radio and mobile phone were unsuccessful. He was the only person on board his 4.5m centre console runabout.

Marine Rescue NSW Illawarra Regional Controller Bruce Mitchell said the rescue helicopter had located the man’s overturned boat near Brush Island just before 10pm and winched crew members on to the island, where they located the fisherman.

He said the man had been winched on to the helicopter and transported to shore at Kioloa, where NSW Ambulance paramedics were waiting to assess his condition.

“Thankfully, the man had been wearing a lifejacket and said it had saved his life,” Mr Mitchell said.

The crews of Ulladulla 30 and Ulladulla 20 will search for the upturned boat to prevent it becoming a shipping hazard.

Mr Mitchell said the emergency services had responded swiftly to the emergency.

“Marine Rescue crews are professionally trained and equipped for search and rescue operations both day and night and the members of Marine Rescue Ulladulla quickly launched their vessels to search for the missing man,” he said.

Mr Mitchell reminded boaters to always wear a lifejacket and to Log On with their nearest Marine Rescue NSW unit when heading out on the water so a search could be quickly organised if they were not back safely as scheduled.

37 minutes ago, night_rider said:

Would I be wrong in saying that he should of had an Epirb if he was fishing outside?

Ditto Cargo05 in saying lifejackets are a must in smaller boats.

Very lucky to be going home to his family, it could have very easily been a different outcome.

He probably had one, but like me and many others, its bolted, usually out of the way and if it was a freak wave, he may not have had time to grab it.

10 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

He probably had one, but like me and many others, its bolted, usually out of the way and if it was a freak wave, he may not have had time to grab it.

Again, I'm fairly green when it comes to this as I'm learning offshore/Outside boating, but aren't they water activated for that very reason?

Edited by night_rider
typo

unless the epirb is in a float free frame you must activate it by pulling from the cradle.

and remember to tie the lanyard to the boat fixed structure.

Reminds me that I have to check mine this week not only for expiry but that it passes the self test. 

4 hours ago, night_rider said:

Would I be wrong in saying that he should of had an Epirb if he was fishing outside?

Ditto Cargo05 in saying lifejackets are a must in smaller boats.

Very lucky to be going home to his family, it could have very easily been a different outcome.

Epirb not required unless travelling further than 2km offshore. 

Lifejackets however are mandatory at night and when travelling alone. Looks like it was a wise decision to wear one! 

16 hours ago, Ric001 said:

unless the epirb is in a float free frame you must activate it by pulling from the cradle.

and remember to tie the lanyard to the boat fixed structure.

Reminds me that I have to check mine this week not only for expiry but that it passes the self test. 

Good time for everyone to check their epirb!

14 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Epirb not required unless travelling further than 2km offshore. 

Lifejackets however are mandatory at night and when travelling alone. Looks like it was a wise decision to wear one! 

Thanks Scratchie! :)

If you fish outside (doesnt matter how far) especially alone, wear a PFD ( personal flotation device) with a PLB (personal locator beacon) same principal as an EPIRB and put it in the zipped pocket on the PFD (check the brand has one) , Log in the Marine resue, tell someone your plans and then if worst comes to worst, you will float and someone will be alerted. I game fish regularly alone and the PFD and PLB is my lifeline if i go overboard.