Outboard recommendations

Swampgecko

G'day all, I have an old hull that is rated for a maximum of 25hp. My old evinrude has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing.

First of all, I understand that new outboards are rated at the prop, since mine was a 1977 unit 25 hp, I am guessing that was rated at the power unit.

So what size donk do I need to be looking for?

Do I go new or second hand and what brand? I would prefer to go 4stroke, but price might mean I stay with 2stroke.

Thanks in advance for all advice

7 hours ago, Swampgecko said:

G'day all, I have an old hull that is rated for a maximum of 25hp. My old evinrude has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing.

First of all, I understand that new outboards are rated at the prop, since mine was a 1977 unit 25 hp, I am guessing that was rated at the power unit.

So what size donk do I need to be looking for?

Do I go new or second hand and what brand? I would prefer to go 4stroke, but price might mean I stay with 2stroke.

Thanks in advance for all advice

What material is your hull?How heavy?How many will be on board most of the time?

I don't know this information yet but I have an aluminium 4.2m runabout that's running a 2 stroke 30hp that will plane my wife,son and myself easily and we weigh 280kg let alone the gear and crap I have in the boat.

mine is rated to a 40hp. 

Going new or used and the brand you choose will ultimately be up to you and your budget.

Going new you will have warranty and peace of mind at a price and going used you could get a great engine or a lemon for less money than buying new.

As for engines people choose types/brands etc for different reasons like fuel economy,quietness,power, etc and of course price.

My yamaha suits me for what I need but you will have to decide what you need.

For example when I bought mine I had a budget like we all do and I wanted the simplest engine I could find as they are cheaper to buy service and maintain myself.

The same went for my boat,I purposefully bought this size to fit in the garage and wanted unpainted aluminium etc.

Hopefully someone gives you some more advice.

like I said even if I had a 25hp on my quinny it would be ok as it's pretty light weight in the scheme of things.

cheers.

I think that the newer engines are all pretty good these days.

Will you be doing your own servicing? If not, what does the local place

that you'd get it serviced at sell? Mine is an evinrude place, and that's what I have

Some people like the 4's, im happy with my ETEC's. I doubt that there is much in a modern

outboard that I could actually service myself anymore.Your four stroke would probably be slightly

larger HP to perform the same as the two stroke, although if top speed and hole shot isn't a concern

then it doesn't really matter.