Just how big can they get

GoingFishing

Hey guys

I havent been out fishing in months as weve just been blessed with my second child a baby boy and my future best buddy/fisherman. Iv been enjoying reading all the reports and wont lie iv been very jealous :( if your motors have been turning off or boats falling apart im very sorry i didnt mean it !!! 

I did get a chance to visit the aquarium this saturday and was absolutely gobsmacked at a tank more or less at the front entry with the locals . Bream, whiting, tailor. 

I could not beleive how big and fat the fish were, i would estimate that: 

bream- there a 50cm beastie in there

whiting - ditto 50cm

tailor - easily 75cm 

so it got me thinking, just how big do these fish get ? I know we have raider records but im curious if there is any recorded catches bigger than the above

I used to visit the aquarium quite regularly and know the fish you are talking about. I couldn't believe the size of the bream there, definitely over 50cm I'd say. The tailor they have there is also massive. When I first caught sight of the thing I couldn't work out what it was having never really encountered a tailor over 40cm. Again I think your estimate is a bit conservative, definitely over 75cm.

How big do they get? I also wonder. Do fish just keep eating and growing until something eats them one day? Or do they plateau at a certain size and then just die of 'old age'?

I have seen a couple of stonker bream pulled out of the water at Greenwich one time. 50 and up.

Edited by Mike89

Here's a paragraph I dug up from an article.

Tailor grow rapidly. In WA, they reach about 20 cm in length at about one year of age. By five years they grow to 60 cm and weigh more than a kilogram. In 1996, one of the biggest ever recorded in the world died at the Aquarium of Western Australia. Estimated to be 11 years old, it was more than a metre long and weighed 15.7 kg.

Also keep in mind fish in any Aquarium look bigger than what they really are due to the magnification of the glass/water.

8 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Mate that is one cracker fish. Black bream is it?

Your daughter is quite the budding young angler!

Yes I think it's a black bream, at first I thought she'd caught a carp!!

She was disappointed with this mutant flathead after loosing an even bigger one the week before.

img_8660_1_zps9c21a1a9.jpgy

31 minutes ago, JonD said:

Yes I think it's a black bream, at first I thought she'd caught a carp!!

She was disappointed with this mutant flathead after loosing an even bigger one the week before.

img_8660_1_zps9c21a1a9.jpgy

Judging by the "small" fish she's caught, I think only a great White will please her.lol.

Do you mean those tailor swimming with the penguins? Those are huge as! Btw great job with that black bream and flathead of hers. Do you have her PB fish by any chance?

Thanks, amberjack

Edited by amberjack
Forgot to Say Thanks