Boating drowning deaths: 10 year analysis

Guest Guest123456789

The drowning report blows away a lot of myths- as ive said elsewhere I run a swim school and when you point out a few facts to people it blows their minds- like 80% of all drownings in all situations across all age groups are Males-also the stat above makes the current blitz on rockfishing look pretty stupid- also as Ive said before - that is driven by other agenda's - mainly locking Rec fishing out of certain areas

Guest Guest123456789
25 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

The drowning report blows away a lot of myths- as ive said elsewhere I run a swim school and when you point out a few facts to people it blows their minds- like 80% of all drownings in all situations across all age groups are Males-also the stat above makes the current blitz on rockfishing look pretty stupid- also as Ive said before - that is driven by other agenda's - mainly locking Rec fishing out of certain areas

We're not getting locked out of anywhere, at the next state election the shooters, fishers and farmers will hold the balance of power.

Far too many Luke. However there would be millions of man hours spent (safely) on the water in that 10 year spell. Statistically it probably ranks somewhere between being killed in an air crash and a road crash. I'm not convinced about PaddyT theory of a hidden agenda to lock out certain areas to recreational fishing.. That ,of course ,may be because I don't live at the coast and have a different perspective on discussion points. Good to see that somebody is keeping all the details recorded and available to access for future ideologies. Cheers, BN

• 2 years later...
On 12/16/2016 at 10:05 AM, PaddyT said:

I guess after the whole attempted lockout last year i may have been right!!!!

• Haha 1

A-Guide-to-Buoyancy-in-Trailer-Boats.pdf

It helps if your boat actually floats. Basic floatation was made compulsory in 2006. Level floatation is better, this guide shows how you can retrofit floatation to an old boat. I'm in the process of doing it to my old fiberglass boat using microlene foam.

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 1

Yeah the rockfishing blitz is annoying. How come according to the Bondi Rescue show, they claim they save at least 10 people a day from drowning (ie 3650 per year) yet not significantly statistical enough to force all beach goers to wear lifejackets? Just a thought

3 minutes ago, letsgocrabbing said:

Yeah the rockfishing blitz is annoying. How come according to the Bondi Rescue show, they claim they save at least 10 people a day from drowning (ie 3650 per year) yet not significantly statistical enough to force all beach goers to wear lifejackets? Just a thought

I don't think that would work - eg diving under waves would become problematic. I don't think it's a backdoor way to ban fishing either. They have the perfect mechanism of marine parks to do that.

43 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I don't think that would work - eg diving under waves would become problematic. I don't think it's a backdoor way to ban fishing either. They have the perfect mechanism of marine parks to do that.

they have a better mechanism called "public safety", because no one will argue against that right? Dont trust them!

41 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

they have a better mechanism called "public safety", because no one will argue against that right? Dont trust them!

Hardly better when rock fishing is just a small subset - ie you can't use the same argument against boat fishing, beach fishing or land based fishing in bays and rivers.

I dont think you get what im saying-heres my fearless prediction for the day- When rockfishing deaths (all 10 per annum) dont decline after they have made all rockfishos wear a LJ the decision will be made on the grounds of "public safety" that fishing will be banned in certain rock locations because rockfishos are a hazard unto themselves and cant be trusted with their own safety- it will be bans by stealth - in the meantime the real problem areas of drowning will remain un addressed- and the fact that rockfishos are a small subset is exactly more reason why it will be implemented- all it will take is one more "Most dangerous sport in Australia " headline in the Daily Idiocy  and a whole bunch of no nothings will make a decision for "the good of the public"- and who knows- maybe , just maybe some time in the future small boats will be deemed to be "unsafe"- dont trust the B!@#$%ds

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

I dont think you get what im saying-heres my fearless prediction for the day- When rockfishing deaths (all 10 per annum) dont decline after they have made all rockfishos wear a LJ the decision will be made on the grounds of "public safety" that fishing will be banned in certain rock locations because rockfishos are a hazard unto themselves and cant be trusted with their own safety- it will be bans by stealth - in the meantime the real problem areas of drowning will remain un addressed- and the fact that rockfishos are a small subset is exactly more reason why it will be implemented- all it will take is one more "Most dangerous sport in Australia " headline in the Daily Idiocy  and a whole bunch of no nothings will make a decision for "the good of the public"- and who knows- maybe , just maybe some time in the future small boats will be deemed to be "unsafe"- dont trust the B!@#$%ds

I said they were a small subset of fishermen - not of drowning incident.  Banning small boats would be in the same category as banning cars because of traffic accidents.

And you would accept the banning of a small subset of fishos? I dont rockfish at all these days but i will continue to write letters and actively campaign against anyone who wanted to prevent ANY fishing access.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

And you would accept the banning of a small subset of fishos? I dont rockfish at all these days but i will continue to write letters and actively campaign against anyone who wanted to prevent ANY fishing access.

Of course not. I'm just saying that the rock fishing safety issue being used as a fishing ban mechanism by stealth is a bit far fetched. 

Edited by kingfishbig

Ok- and i had a few members here telling me that the Lockout proposal wouldnt happen either-there are plenty of folk with their heads in the sand over fishing politics and the lengths to which the Greens and their fellow travellers will go to. Have a look at the post on the guy fishing at Wanda and his run in with dog owners- there are currently active campaigns being run in NSW to ban fishing at Deeban Spit, Terrigal Haven and probably some other that i dont know about (yet). Dont think it cant/wont happen. 

22 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Ok- and i had a few members here telling me that the Lockout proposal wouldnt happen either-there are plenty of folk with their heads in the sand over fishing politics and the lengths to which the Greens and their fellow travellers will go to. Have a look at the post on the guy fishing at Wanda and his run in with dog owners- there are currently active campaigns being run in NSW to ban fishing at Deeban Spit, Terrigal Haven and probably some other that i dont know about (yet). Dont think it cant/wont happen. 

The Sydney lockout proposal was a marine park - ie what I was talking about (and it didn't happen actually). Conflict with other uses is sometimes used to justify marine park zoning but likewise it has nothing to do with the rock fishing safety issue.

Edited by kingfishbig

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 9:54 PM, kingfishbig said:

A-Guide-to-Buoyancy-in-Trailer-Boats.pdf

It helps if your boat actually floats. Basic floatation was made compulsory in 2006. Level floatation is better, this guide shows how you can retrofit floatation to an old boat. I'm in the process of doing it to my old fiberglass boat using microlene foam.

That's a great article has given me some ideas on how to add extra bouyancy to my boat, now just to pull my finger out and do it 

Statistically the most dangerous sport in Australia is Squash believe it or not!  Now it may have changed since I saw this stat but apparently 80 people die every year playing squash, might be time to ban that also, very dangerous.

• Haha 1

yes fat b you are a 100% correct ,ban everything  ,its fast becoming the nimbi state of the world .nsw. please check the rock fishing drownings people .the deaths are 80% non english speaking aussies .so much has been done to try and help the % .of our new countrymen but still the message does not get through .

14 hours ago, dunc333 said:

yes fat b you are a 100% correct ,ban everything  ,its fast becoming the nimbi state of the world .nsw. please check the rock fishing drownings people .the deaths are 80% non english speaking aussies .so much has been done to try and help the % .of our new countrymen but still the message does not get through .

Again , going to put my Swim School hat on-been running a swim school for 15 years and have 2 kids who swim/swum at an elite level and another who coaches at an elite level- this is rubbish - RF drownings have little to no analysis done on ethnic background and the small numbers involved (10 per annum) wouldnt tell much anyway. I go to school swimming carnivals these and the participation levels are appaling for 8-9-10 year olds. Most Aussies think that swimming is the ability to do the 10 yard splash and dash in the backyard pool, in a high energy environment like the surf or rocks it aint enough. I am against LJ's for rockfishing for the following reason- if conditions dictate that you should be wearing aan LJ you shouldnt be fishing, if you cant tell the difference between safe conditions and unsafe- you shouldnt be rockfishing, if you cant swim 250 M plus without running out of puff- you shouldnt be rockfishing, if you dont have the right footwear you shouldnt be rockfishing and finally if you are that uncoordinated that you are likely to fall in without "assistance" from the ocean - you shouldnt be rockfishing. As ive said before the death toll will not drop with the intro of compulsory LJ's.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1