Advice to new and old boaties

Fab1

When you look at your compliance plate of your boat in regards to it's MAXIMUM carrying ability,please keep in mind of a few things.

Here's the compliance plate of my boat.image.jpg

The Maximum hp is 40 and 120kg engine on the transom.

Im running a 30hp that weighs around 57kg-67kg From memory Which is within spec.

The Maximum people is 4 at 300kg MAXIMUM.(Based on 75kg per person).

I weigh 122.7kg,my son 90.4kg and my wife 73.8kg as per our digital scales at our last weigh in around 2 weeks ago for a total combined weight of 286.9kg leaving 13.1kg  allowable weight for a 4th person if my math is correct.

As you can see from my compliance plate the MAXIMUM people,engine and cargo weight is 480kg.

Now let's combine the weight of my engine at that higher figure of 67kg and the weight of myself,wife,son.

67kg+286.9=353.9kg leaving 126.1kg to spare.

That's just the weight of us and the outboard taken into account.

Remember I still in this example need to add the weight of my Fuel,anchors,rope,sounder,rod holders,clothes,fire extinguisher,bait board,tackle box,esky,tools etc,etc,etc.

All these things eat into that spare 126.1kg I had as they all weigh something.

As you can see I'm well within weight specs on engine and transom weight but right up there in people weight and with a hefty 4th person I'd be well and truly overloading my boat causing safety concerns and poor handling not to mention the consequences of being caught.

Hopefully this gives a few people something to think about and I'm off to the hospital to find an infant that weighs 13.1kg so I can say I had 4 people in my boat.

Thanks for reading.

Not a problem with my boat. With a hull of only 4.2m I have a max payload of 1150kg ( or 12 passengers ). It's the inflatable tube that surrounds my 4.2 hull that allows for this, my only issue is deck space.

As you point out it can be quite easy to overload on a normall hull though these days especially as you also point out we are getting bigger. Don't even consider a 120lt esky with ice and some big fish in your boat.

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Not a problem with my boat. With a hull of only 4.2m I have a max payload of 1150kg ( or 12 passengers ). It's the inflatable tube that surrounds my 4.2 hull that allows for this, my only issue is deck space.

As you point out it can be quite easy to overload on a normall hull though these days especially as you also point out we are getting bigger. Don't even consider a 120lt esky with ice and some big fish in your boat.

I'd just be happy with small legal fish in my 50 Lt  esky.:D

15 hours ago, Fab1 said:

When you look at your compliance plate of your boat in regards to it's MAXIMUM carrying ability,please keep in mind of a few things.

Here's the compliance plate of my boat.image.jpg

The Maximum hp is 40 and 120kg engine on the transom.

Im running a 30hp that weighs around 57kg-67kg From memory Which is within spec.

The Maximum people is 4 at 300kg MAXIMUM.(Based on 75kg per person).

I weigh 122.7kg,my son 90.4kg and my wife 73.8kg as per our digital scales at our last weigh in around 2 weeks ago for a total combined weight of 286.9kg leaving 13.1kg  allowable weight for a 4th person if my math is correct.

As you can see from my compliance plate the MAXIMUM people,engine and cargo weight is 480kg.

Now let's combine the weight of my engine at that higher figure of 67kg and the weight of myself,wife,son.

67kg+286.9=353.9kg leaving 126.1kg to spare.

That's just the weight of us and the outboard taken into account.

Remember I still in this example need to add the weight of my Fuel,anchors,rope,sounder,rod holders,clothes,fire extinguisher,bait board,tackle box,esky,tools etc,etc,etc.

All these things eat into that spare 126.1kg I had as they all weigh something.

As you can see I'm well within weight specs on engine and transom weight but right up there in people weight and with a hefty 4th person I'd be well and truly overloading my boat causing safety concerns and poor handling not to mention the consequences of being caught.

Hopefully this gives a few people something to think about and I'm off to the hospital to find an infant that weighs 13.1kg so I can say I had 4 people in my boat.

Thanks for reading.

Still see a lot of people overloading their boats. Was at the river the other night and headed upstream (solo). Caught up with a tinnie that was putting a huge wake out behind it. Turned out that it was a 14ft with a 30hp motor with 6 adults and 2 kids aboard. About an hour later 2 VRS (rescue squad) boats went past me. I assumed that the other boat was in trouble, but it was just a training run for some of the boys from the VRS. I only ever have a max of 2 in my boat...nice and comfy for the balance, the motor and using 2 rods each. BN

Thanks very much for the information. I have now read a little about The National Standard for the Australian Builders Plate for Recreational Boats. 

They say it is good to learn somthing every day, I have now learnt my something for today.

While on this subject is there anyone who owns a relatively new Seafarer V-Sea that could post a pic of their Builders Plate for me to see.

I own a 2000 model v-sea but does not have a builders plate.

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

The only thing I'd be worried about Fab is your wife finding out you listed her weight on the Internet. 

When and if she does I'll just have to remind her who the boss is in this household.I'll then quietly gather my things to sleep in the shed with the dogs for a couple of days.

I bet it will teach her not to mess with me.:lol:

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Still see a lot of people overloading their boats. Was at the river the other night and headed upstream (solo). Caught up with a tinnie that was putting a huge wake out behind it. Turned out that it was a 14ft with a 30hp motor with 6 adults and 2 kids aboard. About an hour later 2 VRS (rescue squad) boats went past me. I assumed that the other boat was in trouble, but it was just a training run for some of the boys from the VRS. I only ever have a max of 2 in my boat...nice and comfy for the balance, the motor and using 2 rods each. BN

I see the same thing mate.You'd think that when the gunnels are 3 inches above the waterline common sense would send alarm bells ringing.

My plate says 5 people. But I know the boat is very safe for 6 in calm conditions and especially in the lake. But the plate says 5 so we stick to 5. When I go out in rough stuff or offshore I only take 2 or 3 but mostly only 2. Three is a crowd when fishing a 5.5m

For my sons birthday we wanted to take the kids out on the lake. 2 adults and 4 kids was what we wanted to do but we did not risk it...not because we thought it dangerous but because the police can be really harsh. 

Is there a compensation for kids as they weigh less or does the persons on the plate relate to other factors other than weight.

Can you take 2 Adults and 4 kids on a boat with a 5 person tag on the lake? Or do you think if you got pulled over you would be in the sh*t. If they looked at my boat they would assume 2 and 4 would be no worries. They would have to look at the plate....

I have 7 seats on the boat.  

1 hour ago, recurve said:

My plate says 5 people. But I know the boat is very safe for 6 in calm conditions and especially in the lake. But the plate says 5 so we stick to 5. When I go out in rough stuff or offshore I only take 2 or 3 but mostly only 2. Three is a crowd when fishing a 5.5m

For my sons birthday we wanted to take the kids out on the lake. 2 adults and 4 kids was what we wanted to do but we did not risk it...not because we thought it dangerous but because the police can be really harsh. 

Is there a compensation for kids as they weigh less or does the persons on the plate relate to other factors other than weight.

Can you take 2 Adults and 4 kids on a boat with a 5 person tag on the lake? Or do you think if you got pulled over you would be in the sh*t. If they looked at my boat they would assume 2 and 4 would be no worries. They would have to look at the plate....

I have 7 seats on the boat.  

I asked the question a few years  ago know and was told that what your plate states(in your case 5 )is the Maximum regardless.It's like anything really you may get away with 6 on board for 99 times and the 100th time you get pulled over,checked out and you'll wish you stuck to 5.

My advice would be regardless of what any of the departments tell you is to stick with 5.

That way there will be no misinterpretation when the time comes to get caught with more people on board.

Why risk it I say.

Things may have changed since I asked the question but I doubt it.

Cheers.

From the handbook

• Children up to one year of age are not

counted. However, you still require safety

equipment for them

• Roads and Maritime recommends counting

each child between the ages of one and

12 years as one half of an adult 

On 19/12/2016 at 8:30 AM, Fab1 said:

When and if she does I'll just have to remind her who the boss is in this household.I'll then quietly gather my things to sleep in the shed with the dogs for a couple of days.

I bet it will teach her not to mess with me.:lol:

Hahaha!  Top stuff Fab,   informative &  hilarious 

Edited by Ojay Samson
Auto correct is always wrong

30 minutes ago, big Neil said:

My understanding is that 2 kids = 1 adult when working out the limit because it's a weight thing, isn't it? In all honesty though do you want to have an extra 1 or 2 on board when something happens? BN

Totally agree mate.

7 minutes ago, raging said:

From the handbook

• Children up to one year of age are not

counted. However, you still require safety

equipment for them

• Roads and Maritime recommends counting

each child between the ages of one and

12 years as one half of an adult 

Thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, Ojay Samson said:

Hahaha!  Top stuff Feb,  informative &  hilarious 

It's not hilarious when your the one out there with the dogs in the middle of winter while the mrs is snuggled all up in bed.

Thanks Raging, that's good to know, very happy we can take the boy and his mates out without fear of fines and drama.

My boat is very sea worthy and very safe with 2 adults and 4 kids. As said it seats 7 which with Kids is the most important thing. Can't have them standing as they move around when underway and likely to clock themselves. Anymore than 4 kids would be a bit cramped. Never had an issue with safety was more worried about the rules being literal.