Maianbar Flats for whiting

Drummer Hunter

Hi All,

Fished Maianbar flats yesterday first time after years of eyeing it out on google maps for a hope of catching whiting on some surface lures. Thought this will be a good spot for them as there are yabbie holes all over the area, but didnt see a single fish except for some blowfish. And not a single strike for a whole two hours from an hour after the high tide. Water felt a bit cold for this time of year. Can anybody shed some light about this area and if whiting are known to be caught there on lures and when to target them on the Maianbar or nearby flats.

Cheers,

I use the same style lures and have been successful in other systems. I am just not sure why there weren't any fish there at this time of year when it seems like such a good place for the whiting to be with the abundance of food and shelter opportunities there. Maybe somebody who fishes the area would have a better idea than me of when to target them there.

4 minutes ago, Drummer Hunter said:

I use the same style lures and have been successful in other systems. I am just not sure why there weren't any fish there at this time of year when it seems like such a good place for the whiting to be with the abundance of food and shelter opportunities there. Maybe somebody who fishes the area would have a better idea than me of when to target them there.

Have to agree I also would see someone who fishes the area

3 hours ago, Drummer Hunter said:

Hi All,

Fished Maianbar flats yesterday first time after years of eyeing it out on google maps for a hope of catching whiting on some surface lures. Thought this will be a good spot for them as there are yabbie holes all over the area, but didnt see a single fish except for some blowfish. And not a single strike for a whole two hours from an hour after the high tide. Water felt a bit cold for this time of year. Can anybody shed some light about this area and if whiting are known to be caught there on lures and when to target them on the Maianbar or nearby flats.

Cheers,

I've seen whiting caught at mainbar on poppers and at grays point flats when fishing from my boat.(I only fish baits)I've caught a few in both places fishing nippers (literally at your feet in both places)and squid strips on the drift and anchored up using frozen berley.

Some years the whiting are few and far between and a better raider than me to give you advice would be Yowie.

good luck with it.

There are whiting about at times, but the ones I caught today were all undersized, and I use nippers, not lures for the whiting.

Fishing has been a bit slow lately, the increased water traffic does not help. No decent rain lately to flush out the fish. Some fish may have moved up river a bit, and others will move out to the beaches. Whiting can go a bit quiet sometimes during summer in some years.

The water temperature has dropped a few degrees outside, due to the run of north/east winds, and this cooler water is pushing up the rivers. The constant north/easterlies cause an inversion in the water column. The water constantly pushing against the coast causes the cooler water from the deep to rise, and this is then pushed onto the shoreline and beaches. A run of southerly winds will cease the rise of the deeper water.

I went out in the Hacking on Tuesday. It was quite windy which I really like for using poppers on the flats. 

Fished the flats at Maianbar and it was loaded with whiting. Most of them under size though the odd thumper. It was about 8am and I was using a clear popper and it was getting smashed.

the week before I went I had only one hit all day on the popper. Yowie is right, the southerly had been blowing for a couple of days when I went which really warmed up the water.

Took my family to Grays Point that day telling them it was a good place for the family with secret intentions to suss out more fishing spots. Wife saw through my idea as she knows any place near the water means fishing to me. Got down to the water and felt it really warm up compared to a week ago.  My daughter was asleep in the car so i had a 20 min window but limited from shore. With wind in face, no wading gear or shorts and dogs running in and out of the water spooking any fish that may have been around I had no chance. Good to hear you got out there Big Yella with the whiting on the bite, like you said Yowie knows his stuff. I'll be out there again soon, but this time with nobody holding me back.

5 hours ago, Drummer Hunter said:

Took my family to Grays Point that day telling them it was a good place for the family with secret intentions to suss out more fishing spots. Wife saw through my idea as she knows any place near the water means fishing to me. Got down to the water and felt it really warm up compared to a week ago.  My daughter was asleep in the car so i had a 20 min window but limited from shore. With wind in face, no wading gear or shorts and dogs running in and out of the water spooking any fish that may have been around I had no chance. Good to hear you got out there Big Yella with the whiting on the bite, like you said Yowie knows his stuff. I'll be out there again soon, but this time with nobody holding me back.

Haha mate it will happen, also I was there Monday! I went Tuesday aswell though had bigger all luck!

Hi all, i fish the flats a lot for whiting on lures and find my best sessions are during the low tide , the Maianbar whiting like to hide in the pools left on low tides, also prefer the afternoon as my shadow is not on the water i'm flicking into, the smaller fish can be very agro with the bigger ones a bit harder to tempt, At the moment Maianbar is getting smashed by a couple of "licensed bait collectors" who had over 3000 nippers last week.....if you want to try and land some elbow slappers head up the Basin on the flats there past the bridge....theres some monster whiting up there but pretty hard to fool reckon a light fly outfit would score some of the big ones!

Cheers

6 hours ago, AI fella said:

Hi all, i fish the flats a lot for whiting on lures and find my best sessions are during the low tide , the Maianbar whiting like to hide in the pools left on low tides, also prefer the afternoon as my shadow is not on the water i'm flicking into, the smaller fish can be very agro with the bigger ones a bit harder to tempt, At the moment Maianbar is getting smashed by a couple of "licensed bait collectors" who had over 3000 nippers last week.....if you want to try and land some elbow slappers head up the Basin on the flats there past the bridge....theres some monster whiting up there but pretty hard to fool reckon a light fly outfit would score some of the big ones!

Cheers

Those blokes are there a lot. Hard work pumping that many nippers for a living (my back is not what it used to be, just pumping a few dozen for bait)

Whiting will be somewhere, but in hiding to escape the lunatics and their speed boats and jet skis.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Yowie said:

Those blokes are there a lot. Hard work pumping that many nippers for a living (my back is not what it used to be, just pumping a few dozen for bait)

Whiting will be somewhere, but in hiding to escape the lunatics and their speed boats and jet skis.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, AI fella said:

Cheers

Hi Al fella,  I too am struggling to find whiting in Port Hacking. Can you tell me where you mean by the Basin? Which Bridge?

• 2 weeks later...