Wollongong Harbour Squid

Big Yella

Hi Raiders, I'm after a little bit of advice on squid fishing Wollongong harbour. 

Ive heard it's very productive and I want some squid so I can fish a spot I'm almost certain holds big Jews. Any help would be appreciated, like time of day/night, what jigs to use, where about a in the harbour would also be great. I will be happy to share the Jew spot if it's successful also

Edited by Big Yella

His mate. I have only squidded Wollongong harbour a couple of times and we caught a few squid. We fished from next to the little hatch club and cast north towards the square concrete block. There was quite a bit of swell running each time. I would imagine you would catch them anywhere in the harbour near the rocks or where there is kelp in the bottom. Check google earth to get an idea on where these areas are. It will be much easier for you to understand than me trying to explain it. You are basically looking for the dark patches. 

We were using mainly 2.5 size jigs due to the wind and rough water on the day. I would have been using dark jigs then but one of my favourite colours now is white  

Good luck

Wollongong harbour squid is usually a bust. The whole harbour is a bust. Used to be nice fishing a while back but nowadays it's a poor shell of its former self. Weed beds near the mini lighthouse used to produce as well as the breakwall near the salt pools. 

Only fish there now when the missus wants to go the the food night markets held there every so often and it's usually only to escape the noise.

5 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

His mate. I have only squidded Wollongong harbour a couple of times and we caught a few squid. We fished from next to the little hatch club and cast north towards the square concrete block. There was quite a bit of swell running each time. I would imagine you would catch them anywhere in the harbour near the rocks or where there is kelp in the bottom. Check google earth to get an idea on where these areas are. It will be much easier for you to understand than me trying to explain it. You are basically looking for the dark patches. 

We were using mainly 2.5 size jigs due to the wind and rough water on the day. I would have been using dark jigs then but one of my favourite colours now is white  

Good luck

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll let you know how I go

6 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Wollongong harbour squid is usually a bust. The whole harbour is a bust. Used to be nice fishing a while back but nowadays it's a poor shell of its former self. Weed beds near the mini lighthouse used to produce as well as the breakwall near the salt pools. 

Only fish there now when the missus wants to go the the food night markets held there every so often and it's usually only to escape the noise.

Yeh I figured as much, maybe I'll just try my spot at Bulli, always produces nice squid

7 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

If you are mobile, any of the ledges along that stretch that have kelp and ledges are good. Coalcliff is worth a shot too in the right conditions (safety wise)

Yes I've fished there many of times, I'm originally from stanwell park. Good squid off coalcliff, and also a great spot at Bulli. Thanks for the help mate

10 hours ago, Big Yella said:

Yeh I figured as much, maybe I'll just try my spot at Bulli, always produces nice squid

Is that off the rock ledge on the north end of the pool? Theres always blokes squiding there. I tried and sucked but hsve seen one bloke come in and jig up 4 25cm plus models in ten mins. 

8 minutes ago, elferoz777 said:

Is that off the rock ledge on the north end of the pool? Theres always blokes squiding there. I tried and sucked but hsve seen one bloke come in and jig up 4 25cm plus models in ten mins. 

Sure is mate, it's a little hard in summer when the NE wind is blowing straight into you. Though on a nice calm day, about an hour before sunset, I use pink or green jigs, 2.5 or 3 depending on the conditions. Some solid squid there

1 hour ago, Big Yella said:

Sure is mate, it's a little hard in summer when the NE wind is blowing straight into you. Though on a nice calm day, about an hour before sunset, I use pink or green jigs, 2.5 or 3 depending on the conditions. Some solid squid there

Do you need a nig tide?

Ive seen them caught on a low but there some russian fellows that used to fish it on a dangerously high tide.

27 minutes ago, elferoz777 said:

Do you need a nig tide?

Ive seen them caught on a low but there some russian fellows that used to fish it on a dangerously high tide.

You can fish on a low, though it's much better on a high. If the swell is coming from the south it's extremely protected and dead flat. You can fish when swells from the north, though only a smaller swell