Best Trolling lure for Kingfish

Rafo

Kings are far from fussy, they will take skirted, hardbodies, feathers, surface and deep set lures on downriggers. One of my favorate over shallow water or when kings are on the surface are the xxx rap models in either red and white or blue with black spots, in the biggest sizes.

Down here on the south coast I often catch kings on my own painted sinkers either trolled or jigged.

Here's a few of my painted sinkers which also work well with just an assist hook, having loops in both ends of the sinker make them handy for trailing live baits off too. The hollow barrel sinkers many people use can wear through traces quite easily, these are also easy to grab and lift smaller kings in.

_DSC0956_1_zpszpzrondm.jpg

_DSC0955_1_zpsqf1clckb.jpg

_DSC7633_zpsixrvvhhz.jpg

This xrap had a tough session on 20kg + kings

_DSC5667_zpsfz99lgtm.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jono, the lure I have had most success with is a Rapala CD 11 in a red/white (sometimes called a "cut throat"):. They come in several sizes -CD9, CD 11, CD 13, not sure if the CD comes bigger than 13, but the 11 is the one I use most and catch Salmon, Tailor and of course Kingies

On 05/01/2017 at 7:17 PM, JonD said:

Here's a few of my painted sinkers which also work well with just an assist hook, having loops in both ends of the sinker make them handy for trailing live baits off too. The hollow barrel sinkers many people use can wear through traces quite easily, these are also easy to grab and lift smaller kings in.

_DSC7633_zpsixrvvhhz.jpg

_DSC5667_zpsfz99lgtm.jpg

Hi Jon, what speed do you troll those xraps at to get the swimming action?

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 7:17 PM, JonD said:

_DSC7633_zpsixrvvhhz.jpg

_DSC5667_zpsfz99lgtm.jpg

Hi JonD,

I recently bought a couple of the same xrap lures which you have pictured. These are not the xxx-rap models (as per packaging above).

The sales guy at the boating camping store reckoned they weren't really for trolling, but I didn't really take much notice of him just because it was a boating camping store.

Are these lures good for trolling (mostly from an electric motored yak)? Or should I be looking at the Rapala CD's as mentioned by bojulabah or some xrap magnums 15/20/30 which dive a little deeper?

Cheers,

Undy 

On 1/5/2017 at 7:17 PM, JonD said:

Thanks Jon. Do you make and paint those sinkers with loops or do you buy them?

29 minutes ago, savit said:

Thanks Jon. Do you make and paint those sinkers with loops or do you buy them?

I buy the loops from the same place that sells the moulds, my mould makes threes different sized sinkers from the one mold. All purchased from here http://store.do-itmolds.com/. The paint spray cans are $9 each at Bunnings.

Jon

Hi JonD,

I recently bought a couple of the same xrap lures which you have pictured above. These are not the xxx-rap models (as per packaging above they are xrap).

The sales guy at the boating camping store reckoned they weren't really for trolling, but I didn't really take much notice of him just because it was a boating camping store.

Are these lures good for trolling (I intend using them from an electric motored yak)? Or should I be looking at the Rapala CD's as mentioned by bojulabah or some xrap magnums 15/20/30 which dive a little deeper?

Cheers,

Undy 

14 minutes ago, undy said:

Hi JonD,

I recently bought a couple of the same xrap lures which you have pictured above. These are not the xxx-rap models (as per packaging above they are xrap).

Are these lures good for trolling (I intend using them from an electric motored yak)? Or should I be looking at the Rapala CD's as mentioned by bojulabah or some xrap magnums 15/20/30 which dive a little deeper?

Cheers,

Undy 

He' s sort of right as they are weighted for casting, once they've been cast from the shore or boat you reel them in exactly like trolling a lure. I found they out performed the other trolling lures when pulled behind the boat and seemed to hold in as good if not better than most of my other offerings. 

What I think makes them effective is that they sit just under the prop wash behind the boat where they look more convincing than a loan fish 20-30ft bellow the suds. I haven't bothered trying to down rig them as they work so well close to the surface.

As some people may be aware we spend many hours also in the water and many of the species we target are naturally cruising the surface, things like wahoo, mackerel, bonito are mostly in the top 1m. Kings can be almost anywhere but are so curious they often rush up to us as soon as we get in the water around Montague Island, anything flashy or sparkling and even sounds will draw them straight to us.

After a crazy day on Saturday with fish almost jumping into peoples boats the complete opposite happened Sunday, but with my daughter in the water she could see the fish were there but simply following lures and baits and not eating them. I know we have a strict non spearing content in this forum but the only way we managed to catch fish was to pull lures in front of my daughter in the water so she could shoot a couple of fish following the lures and live baits. Late in the day a school of pilchards turned up that turned the fishing into a frenzy, just simply having a lure hit the surface was enough to get hookups. The action didn't stop there as a great white jumped out of the water within 20m of my daughter (who still wouldn't get out of the water).

If they work for you JonD, that's more than enough affirmation for me. I'll definitely give them a go! By the way, I'm continuously astounded by your daughters adventures. She must be a brave girl to stay in the water with a great white leaping out of the water. You both sound like you have a great affinity with the ocean. 

Guest Guest123456789

We've been hooking the rats trolling silver and white metal lures of late. Same ones you spin with. Fish probably think they're the garfish that have been around in big numbers of late. Around the 50 gram mark.