Nowra/Shoalhaven River 6-1-17

Fab1

Hi Guys,We left home at 4:45am to arrive at Nowra bridge boat ramp at 6:15am to fish the last of the run out tide and into the rising tide as promised earlier to my wife and son.Our target was drifting for flathead and flounder along the islands an the mouth of the creeks etc for some bream which I know are there from past experience.

Any way the day was overcast with a light wind and a few light showers throughout the day.

I went prepared with our usual staples of fresh prawns,pillys,chicken and fish strips.

Our first stop after leaving the ramp was the rocky out crop and the mouth of Bomaderry creek which saw us anchored and berleying hard for small bream,luderick and tailor on various baits but nothing substantial.

After a good crack we decided to move further down stream to drift along pig island past the paper mill and picked up a small flounder on prawn and a small Flatty on pilly tail.Right species but still too small.

Also on the drift where hundreds of jelly fish.image.jpg

By this time we where down a few hours with an empty esky but our enthusiasm hadn't waned and we knew we had to persist and went and anchored about 10m out from the hot water outlet at the paper mill and deployed the berley once again.

Again we baited various of our baits and within 10min or so my son lands a bream in the 30's on the chicken and in to the keeper he went.Not long after another legal bream is landed by my wife on a tailor strip bait.Soon the bites stopped and I hasn't landed anything yet(Surprise) so we decided to have a drift from the paper mill to Numbaa island where after a few drifts my wife caught a nice flounder on a peeled prawn and my son caught a nice Flatty on a Berkeley gulp shrimp drifting.

After a while the action died down and we headed down stream some more to the mouth of Broughton Creek where we sounded a nice deep hole and I got absolutely smashed on a half pilly first drop on the light gear.

We persisted at this spot for an hour or so and landed quite a few bream,tailor and snapper but nothing legal other than two nice bream in the high 30's when I quickly ran the tape over them.

By this stage of our trip we had had enough and decided to turn around and head back to port before we ended up in NZ and fishing various spots on the way back in.

Again some spots/drifts produced something even though most where undersized and released,others produces some more bream and another 2 nice legal Flatty,s and a flounder.

Overall it was a great day out all round and as usual we always have a blast whether we catch fish or don't and most fish where releases promptly and we kept the two flounder for my Mil and 2 Flathead for us.

Sorry for the lack of photos as I was kept very busy today driving the car,boat,baiting ,keeping a lookout etc.

This flathead is my sons caught on the gulp using just our usual 8lb mono.image.jpg

Even if we hadn't caught anything we just love the beauty of the shoalhaven river and really had a great time and will be back to have a crack at around Greenwell point hopefully sooner than we'd like.

If your reading this Nathan,my Little Kia Cerato Towed my boat like a champ.

Thanks for reading and tight lines.

A good day out with the family, and fish to be caught as well.

Better than Port Hacking at present, too many noisy boats, jet skis, skiers. And most fish are not very big at all.

Jelly fish have been like that inside Port Hacking, but not for some years now.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Better than Port Hacking at present, too many noisy boats, jet skis, skiers. And most fish are not very big at all.

Dave.

Fished the port on Tuesday, got one legal whiting (37cm) and that was it for about 5 hours! Tonnes of little reds and undersize whiting and bream. Where are the fish?!

13 hours ago, blackfish angler said:

Nice report and one top flattie

Thanks.

13 hours ago, beginner said:

Sounds like a great day out with the family and a few fish too great result.

Regards,

Nathan

It was Indeed Nathan.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Dave.

Thanks Dave,I can only imagine how much the ports been beaten up into a froth over the silly season.

2 hours ago, Rah said:

Sounds like a top day out with plenty to keep you entertained. 

The jelly fish have been like that for about 6 weeks now. Only saw 2 this morning though. 

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara,You only saw 2 this morning because the other 50,000 followed me home.Lol.

Speaking of which,the bloody flies where terrible as they just would not leave you alone even after showering in aero guard.

I don't recall them being that bad before.

4 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done for getting out there with the family Fabian. Good attitude to have, not being overly worried if it's tough going...you can be very pleased if it turns into a good day. Cheers, BN

Life's to short to worry about wheather or not we've caught fish Neil.As long as we're out there with each other's company we always appreciate just being able to do that.Catching some fish is just the icing on the cake.

As we get "really old "like me(I'm 42) we appreciate things more that perhaps we took for granted before in our healthier years.

Take care mate.