New rod christened

michael2203

G'day Raiders, 

Last year I bought a Shimano Sienna 4000, but have struggled since to pair it with a decent rod. So, with a gift card from the big red fella at xmas and a sale at the same retailer, I picked up a Daiwa Crossfire 862. What a purchase!

The in-laws live around East Hills and I've driven past it heaps, but have never been into the Georges River National Park. So with the 2 daughters in tow, off we went. While the fish weren't massive, I ended up picking up 3-4 bream and a few whiting. The new set up landed most and a few of them ended up being skull-dragged across the river. My youngest daughter Kyla picked up a toadfish and small whiting and was stoked. I think the girls just enjoyed paddling around the edge of the water.

Halfway through the session, I did have a run in with a few douches in a boat. Despite having the whole river, they felt that it was necessary to hover right where we were fishing (one of the morons jumped in for a swim). Anyway, they came right up to the shore, right over one of my lines and I wasn't game to move it in case it got caught in their engine. Now I'm quick to acknowledge that no-one owns the river, but common sense should prevail. So when these muppets just sat there talking about their boat and what they needed to when they got back to the boat ramp, I 'politely' asked them to move somewhere else. One of them mumbled something about being an accident...yeah bullshit!

Anyway, after a while we packed up and went around to Fitzpatrick for a quick session, where I picked up a good size bream (maybe around 20ish). As it happens I was getting Kyla off a snag when my new combo bent over. So a quick dash and olympic-style hurdle over one rod, I've caught the other and had a great time. 

So, I'm off again early tomorrow solo. I was thinking of trying near the Audley Weir. I'd appreciate any advice/experiences anyone has had there as I wonder if I am wasting my time.

Thanks for reading and tight lines.

Hodgo

15442174_10154368580434007_7996662921569396608_n.jpg

15825849_10154368580309007_1561105867271875294_n.jpg

15873045_10154368580399007_2709376596307240472_n.jpg

Always good to Christen a new rod I had the chance the other day with my young bloke catching some small bream in Parra river and similar thing happened only it was a person walking a dog and they threw the stick in the water right where we where fishing. After exchanging some heated words and the fact that it was just rude they were in fact risking their dog if it got caught up in the lines or a hook into them that i would not be covering any Vet bills due to their stupidity.

Mate if your heading that way maybe check Grays Point. Drive to the end of Grays Point Rd and there is a small car park. Walk down the track to the sand flats and walk all the way to the point where the sand flats enter the channel. Can only really be fished at low tide and you can also pump nippers for bait. Great spot for the kids as well.

Another good option land based is Illawong. Follow Old Ferry Rd to the river and on the right you will see some platforms to fish off. I've picked up some good flathead, bream and even trevalley. 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:01 AM, damos said:

Mate if your heading that way maybe check Grays Point. Drive to the end of Grays Point Rd and there is a small car park. Walk down the track to the sand flats and walk all the way to the point where the sand flats enter the channel. Can only really be fished at low tide and you can also pump nippers for bait. Great spot for the kids as well.

Another good option land based is Illawong. Follow Old Ferry Rd to the river and on the right you will see some platforms to fish off. I've picked up some good flathead, bream and even trevalley. 

Thanks Damos. Grays Point sounds good (and looks the goods from Google Maps. I've been down to Illawong before and got some good fish. I've also been busted off by some huge fish there as well. I usually prefer to go to the park near there which has a little jetty. It's a great spot early in the morning.