New motor . Repowering

lazydaniel

Hi all, I'm looking at repowering my tinne.

its a 3.4m edge tracker, rated to 15hp but has no wight rating . I was thinking about a 20 or 25hp but think that may be too powerful, and would have to get new compliance plate if it can even be done I'm thinking either a tohats 18hp or merc super 15hp. Can some one please tell me the difference, or am I correct in thinking they are the exact same motor???? Any thoughts

What hp motor do u have fitted at present

Weight is not normal rating , it's the hp that is important

Going over the rating of 15hp can effect yr insurance and or liability if u have an accident , especially if there is an injury , suggest u do not exceed the 15hp

There is a lot of cross branding & unless yr in the industry it's difficult to tell if different brands are in fact the same 

One check u can make is to compare engine capacity , ie , the cc displacement

Geoff 

If the boat is rated to 15hp then that is the Maximum you can bolt on.

there is a massive difference between a 8hp and 15hp, it will go a lot better with 2 ppl and ok with 3.

with such a small tinnie over powering will be a mistake and one the Waterways will pick up straight away.

i noticed the difference going from a 6hp to a 9.9hp and then another good step up to 15hp on a 3.7m tinnie.

Edited by jeffb5.8

16 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

If you regularly take 3 then I would upgrade to a to a larger tinnie with a 25hp.

the $$ won't be much more than buying a 15hp for your current boat.

Probably good advice from jeff. I have a 15 HP Yamaha and it planes easily with 2 on board. I never take 3 people so haven't tried it, but figure it would be slightly underpowered for that purpose. You need to step up in boat AND motor size mate. BN

22 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

If the boat is rated to 15hp then that is the Maximum you can bolt on.

there is a massive difference between a 8hp and 15hp, it will go a lot better with 2 ppl and ok with 3.

with such a small tinnie over powering will be a mistake and one the Waterways will pick up straight away.

i noticed the difference going from a 6hp to a 9.9hp and then another good step up to 15hp on a 3.7m tinnie.

Lazydaniel ..  Pls take note of this , especially 15hp being the maxium allowed

Any thing over 15 and you could end up in trouble so I would not be to concerned if the Merc & Tohatsu are the same motor