Fernando

Hi folks,

I have been tried to catch at Wanda Beach and other spots in Cronulla and just wondering whether my gear set up is suitable for this area: I am using a single 3/0 suicide hook and a metal pilchard lure (the suicide hook is at the bottom while the metal lure is at the top part) of a 40cm leader tied to a swivel and a sinker (150grams). I use small pieces of pillies through the suicide hook. Hope I can catch tailor/salmon. Yeah, it sounds pretty amateur but I am looking forward to moving on.

Thanks! Fernando.

Edited by Fernando

10 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi folks,

I have been tried to catch at Wanda Beach and other spots in Cronulla and just wondering whether my gear set up is suitable for this area: I am using a single 3/0 suicide hook and a metal pilchard lure (the suicide hook is at the bottom while the metal lure is at the top part) of a 40cm leader tied to a swivel and a sinker (150grams). I use small pieces of pillies through the suicide hook. Hope I can catch tailor/salmon. Yeah, it sounds pretty amateur but I am looking forward to moving on.

Thanks! Fernando.

Mate

Best rig for fishing off the beach targetting salmon/tailor will be a running sinker rig with half or whole pillys using a 2 hook or ganged hooks. I use 3/0 ganged hooks with at least 30lb trace so the tailor wont bite you off easily. Wanda beach is better in the afternoon just before sunset. Less people less surfers. Goodluck 

Yes mate, I have been following his advice. I am just curious why you ,UnderFisher, prefer flatheads over salmon/tailor... Is it because the former does not fight that much which makes all action much easier? Just wondering whether flatheads can be used somehow as bait.

30 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Yes mate, I have been following his advice. I am just curious why you ,UnderFisher, prefer flatheads over salmon/tailor... Is it because the former does not fight that much which makes all action much easier? Just wondering whether flatheads can be used somehow as bait.

No mate... Flathead aren't bait... they're food....Salmon are bait

Hey Fernando,

Wanda is a pretty tough beach to fish and can be a long time between bites.

Peoples preference for flatties comes solely from the fact they are a much better eating fish than the other two, Salmon and Tailor are better fighter's if it is the sport you are after.

As for your rig if I understand it correctly I suspect part of the reason for your getting flatties and not salmon/tailor is that between your running sinker and the weight of the metal lure your bait is ending up anchored to the bottom. Maybe try a surf popper rather than the metal lure as these float up and will help get the bait wafting about a little more. As noted above, changing to ganged hooks with full pilies will certainly help with the Tailor and Salmon catch rates too.

The other thing to think of is where are you fishing on the beach, try to find the deepest gutter or hole you can locate and target the very top of the high tides.

If you are ticking all those boxes then its only a matter of time until you start catching a few Salmon and Tailor. 

Cheers,

Rich

Hey Mr Squidy,

You are right and I have chosen Wanda since it is a more convenient fishing spot for me but I am keen to try elsewhere. Now I got the reason of why flathead is not considered a "by-catch", hahaha, thanks for making it crystal clear.

It is a very good point! Actually I used metal lures a couple times only due to the lack of action. Since then I have always been using whole pillies with 2 suicide hooks (3/0) in a attempt to follow fisholb's advice. My leader is about 90cm meter long being 60cm in between the mainline swivel and the upper hook, therefore the sinker runs free throughout this 60cm.

Cheers,

Fernando.