Insane day at Botany Bay, Kingfish, 4m Shark.

PowerFisher

Crazy day at Botany Bay.

Headed out around 7.30 am this morning to get as much fishing time before a possible storm.

Son hooked the first king and after a minute in the fight the line went light.

I said to him better luck next time. As he was taking out his line we found the Kingfish head still on. I was thinking wow a small shark got him. This has never had happened to us ever while fishing in inshore or even offshore. Only ever seen this happen on video clips on Youtube.  We hooked on plenty of rat kings during the day and just before we were packing up I hooked on a decent Kingy, during the fight got him close to the boat and it went for another run. It was definitely legal seeing its size in water compared to the others, after finally tiring him and getting it close to the net, the craziest thing Ive experienced in fishing happened a 4m+ shark came up to the surface and and bit him in half. It was one scary shark. The bastard took my most promising legal fish.    

I know a lot of divers go to that area and kayak fisher man. This was crazy I was thinking of buying a kayak for that area when I'm alone fishing. Not after what we witnessed today.

Photo of my dad holding my chopped up Kingfish. The good news is that I took the fish or whats left of it to home and it will be our dinner.

photo_2017-02-18_16-57-43.jpg

photo_2017-02-18_16-58-22.jpg

photo_2017-02-18_16-58-35.jpg

Friends went to same fishing location this morning where the seals hang out and have told me shark is still there today.

Another king has been demolished.

I hope those resident seals are okay. The shark I saw yesterday looked like a bronze whaler i could be wrong but it looked different than the one i just read about spotted at Brighton le sands and much larger.

That looks like the spot where a mate and I were in his boat last year tossing saltwater flies at the wall, hoping for a Kingy, but would have been more than happy with anything at all. Would have been there for maybe twenty minutes with zilch happening, when I noticed this strange splashing coming towards us. When it got closer, we could see that it was an idiot wearing some sort of webbed gloves splashing his way along, about ten feet or so out from the wall. Didn't seem to be using flippers at all, so maybe he was trying to bulk up some gorilla arms and shoulders or whatever. Some people have strange ideas.....

And no, we finished the day with donuts.

I heard from a mate who reckons he was 'hassled' recently by a white shark (3m he claimed...take with a grain of salt to three) out off the Coogee Cakes several days ago in his yak chasing kings. Not necessarily something I'd believe in isolation but are hearing all the above...

Wow. That is a great story to tell. Yep I've seen it in a few Youtube clips but never had anything 'upgraded' right in front of my eyes.

All I get is the pesky cormorants hassling my livies.

Well done on the kings, shame you couldn't bring home more of them!

I was with a mate a few years back fishing of Long Reef and as he pulled up a decent sized Morwong a shark went flying through and snaffeled the lot just as we were about to net the fish... Gave us a right fright.
Shame you lost a good fish but at least you get a great story to share over a beer or 3. :D

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM, allen_f said:

which tinnie were you this morning? Me and krause were out in the kayaks :)

I was the old 1969 quintrex mostly on the south side of the channel markers.

I did notice 4 yaks over at molly with the rest of the fleet.

Anything happen over there?

Saw a couple of yaks also head over to the drums mid morning.

Edited by kingie chaser
Bad spelling

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I was the old 1969 quintrex mostly on the south side of the channel markers.

I did notice 4 yaks over at molly with the rest of the fleet.

Anything happen over there?

Saw a couple of yaks also head over to the drums mid morning.

We were 2 of them haha, should've come around to say hi! The other two head off to the drum mid morning when it got quiet.

Our morning was an interesting one.

Upon arrival at moli, someone was hooked up to a shark which took his rat, the shark proceeded to tow him out of the bay LOL. I hooked up to a 42cm trevally, which was kept. Both of us then got onto rat kings up to 62cm and whilst another tinnie brought up another rat, it was circled by another shark.

We proceeded to the drums and saw some huge ass seals, went for one drift then had to perform a rescue mission which lasted the next two hours... That was uh to say the least an interesting morning.

26 minutes ago, allen_f said:

We were 2 of them haha, should've come around to say hi! The other two head off to the drum mid morning when it got quiet.

Upon arrival at moli, someone was hooked up to a shark which took his rat, the shark proceeded to tow him out of the bay LOL. I hooked up to a 42cm trevally, which was kept. Both of us then got onto rat kings up to 62cm and whilst another tinnie brought up another rat, it was circled by another shark.

We proceeded to the drums and saw some huge ass seals, went for one drift then had to perform a rescue mission which lasted the next two hours... That was uh to say the least an interesting morning.

Wow the shark was still there yesterday. It is getting a good feed on kingfish :)

Glad the seals are hanging out at the drums. They have sensed the danger. I hope they stay there until the shark has completely gone. Will be sad to see them killed.

28 minutes ago, allen_f said:

And you guys are brave coming out in kayaks