Yellowfin / Stacer ocean ranger plate boats

ThumperDino

Hi all

Looking at upgrading my boat for some serious offshore fishing - off the shelf etc - I have been in a lot of 22-28ft glass boats such as edencraft, Haines etc. but never been in mass produced plate boats. Comparing glass to plate boats in 20-24ft what's the comparison. 

Have found an ocean ranger 679 HT with all the bells but is two states away. No dealer will let you take a boat for a test drive locally and just seeking opinions in the yellowfin or Stacer aluminum from people who have been in them. Let me know 

Simple rule in boating - you cant beat weight and length for a smooth ride. plate boats are a fair bit lighter than glass and will tend to ride harder no matter the hull shape or deadrise (within reason). I run a 5.4 TABS which has a 4mm hull. Into the sea it bangs a bit-full stop- but never feels unsafe. I can run down sea in the right conditions at around 20 knots and virtually take my hands off the wheel. But my boat is an allrounder not a pure offshore boat- and I can troll for marlin for 10 hours and cover 130km out at sea and use about 75lt of fuel . Horses for courses.

As "PaddyT" writes, "you can't beat weight and length for a smooth ride". The new Yellowfin 6700 has a 6mm hull which gets some extra weight down low into the water and it has the bottom sheets right through to the back of the transom which gives more hull length in the water. Many alloy hulls have the outboard mounted on a pod with the hull cut back 300 - 400mm under the pod with duckboards either side of the pod.

To my mind there is no comparison between the Trident, Ocean ranger and the new Yellowfin. While the yellowfin may not be as pretty, it is heavier with 6mm bottom sheets and a more rigid underfloor contruction, a decent size anchor weel that can fit a larger drum winch and a kill tank at the back rather than in front of the helm and nav seats.

A marine mechanic/rigger that I know who is an ex commercial fisherman and now works for a large boat dealership told me that the Yellowfin rides and handles much better than the other Telewater offerings and is much more stable at rest.

No doubt there are many other fine hulls out there whether they be alloy or glass, mass produced or custom but the new Yellowfin 6700 Hard Top ticked all the boxes for me, so I bought one. delivery about 4 weeks away.

Weight, length and shape of hull obviously makes a huge difference. But having only been in glass boats was just interested to know people's thoughts and experience. Obviously there is a market for the plate boats but because I'm looking at a near new 679 ocean ranger HT and it's interstate, rather than waste time and money thought I would get some opinions. The more I talk about it the more I think I just need to get behind the wheel in some chop and see how it compares to the 650/680 patriots and 625/685 cruisecrafts I have rode in. 

Has anyone else actually sat in the drivers chair for the Stacer ocean ranger or yellowfin comparison. 

14 minutes ago, noelm said:

By far the best option, go for a quick mini holiday and see for yourself.

This- for what is probably a 60K plus purchase ,a cheap flight or 3 day drive will save a possible purchase heartbreak!

after gamefishing for years in many different boats..glass and alloy ive never found an alloy boat that is close to glass  I fish with a mate at the moment in a 20ft Bahia mar with duoprop diesel and two others with 6.0 and 6.5 allys...the old pride leaves them for dead..trim tabs make boats this size better but the allys don't compare..everyone has plus and minus sides to compare the two but it will come down to towing weight launching areas  maintenance power options and price..try a few types of hull before you rush in and buy  you may be surprised at what you end up with..rick

I've owned a 6m barcrusher for over ten years and love it.  It's caught everything from bream to marlin and I;ve been out in all types of conditions.  It is a safe, comfortable riding boat which is light to tow.  I've also been in many similar sized glass boats, some have ridden better and  some not so good.  A lot of that is to do with the driver.  But I still believe a well made, quality glass boat of a similar size which is driven well, handles better than my ally boat.  Good luck with you're search for a new boat.  Take the plunge head down and sea trial the boat to make up your own mind.  It's a small investment which may pay off hugely in making your decision.  Cheers.......

Dave