Botany bay Report. Kingfish, Salmon, Blue swimmer crab

PowerFisher

Started fishing fishing at botany at 8am today. It was windy and not the best of conditions, but glad there was no rain.

Did not see the shark or had any fish destroyed, but I did catch its buddy the Remora which is usually around the shark. Awesome fish. My son wanted to eat it.

He likes to try all fish but i explained that its better to let this beautiful fish go. Just before throwing the fish back he wanted to try its suction head on the Esky. 

I couldn't believe how strong it was. I could not remove the fish it was stuck. I had to put water on top of it and slide down the side of the esky for it to come off. 

What a amazing fish.  

Beside that we had a mixed bag.

Also had another rat king thrown back. The blue swimmer crab was big.

photo_2017-02-26_21-36-27.jpg

photo_2017-02-26_21-37-19.jpgphoto_2017-02-26_21-36-32.jpgphoto_2017-02-26_21-36-19.jpg

photo_2017-02-26_21-37-38.jpg

Remora are meant to taste OK but I have heard some funny stories about them.... When you gut them they are often full of turds... Not their own either they will happily chow down on the recycled goodness of their host or the nearest boat.

10 hours ago, Short said:

Remora are meant to taste OK but I have heard some funny stories about them.... When you gut them they are often full of turds... Not their own either they will happily chow down on the recycled goodness of their host or the nearest boat.

Heheheh Yuk. Thought it would of been full of parasites. 

1 hour ago, DaveBM said:

Either that kingfish is undersized, or that crab is a world record.

:) he was a very large large crab. Just to give u an idea that tailor in the photo was 42cm. photo does not give justice to how big this crab was or the fish actually were. Its the only crab i have ever caught of a boat. Hook tangled and got caught on the claw.  The Kingfish was slightly over 65cm and after being bent after hardness in esky when i took that photo.  The crab claw span was over 45cm. Ill be dam happy if that is a record in Sydney.

2 hours ago, samjames95 said:

Just curious what you used for bait for the kings and remora?

Thats one of the biggest blue swimmers I've ever seen, must of gone down well! Well done mate

I find Fresh Squid strips the best. They have been doing the most damage. The Remora was on squid. I caught one years back also on squid at the caltex terminal. If The kings are active pilchard cubes work good as well. 

Ive also caught kings with solf plastics at botany with just leaving it in rod holder, bounces it self on bottom. 

Edited by PowerFisher
spelling

38 minutes ago, PowerFisher said:

I find Fresh Squid strips the best. They have been doing the most damage. The Remora was on squid. I caught one years back also on squid at the caltex terminal. If The kings are active pilchard cubes work good as well. 

Ive also caught kings with solf plastics at botany with just leaving it in rod holder, bounces it self on bottom. 

Yeah I've only managed 2 legal ones and about 20 rats this summer on mostly live squid, always good to get some advice, cheers.

15 minutes ago, samjames95 said:

Yeah I've only managed 2 legal ones and about 20 rats this summer on mostly live squid, always good to get some advice, 

Absolutley right. The ratio of rats to legal is so high. While there are big kings in botany they are so hard to find. 

around 1 month ago i spent the whole day at caltex terminal for not a nibble and out of now where this one hits my 3-6kg rod.IMG-20170105-WA0021.jpgBut Im gonna start my focus at out at sydney heads just need to get a good swell that comes on a weekend. Some friends are getting hoodlums out there. 

hey mate if you want, you can come out in my boat on the week end, not sure how big yours is but mines a surtees 5.5 meter plate boat and can handle some bad weather. I'm usually out there on the week ends by myself trolling up and down the heads. PM me if you're keen.

2 hours ago, robertye112 said:

hey mate if you want, you can come out in my boat on the week end, not sure how big yours is but mines a surtees 5.5 meter plate boat and can handle some bad weather. I'm usually out there on the week ends by myself trolling up and down the heads. PM me if you're keen.

Thank Mate

Your a legend for offering this Will PM.