Advice required on Nelson Bay please

snatcher

We head up to Nelson Bay 25 March for the week.  We are staying about in the middle of the town and will be taking fishing gear with us. :D  Just after some general advice about the local fishing.  Will have 6 year old and 3 year old grandsons with us so would like to find a safe fishing spot for them.  Also any advice on places to visit locally would be appreciated.   Have been told that Red Neds Pie Shop in town is a must and that the kangaroo teriyaki pie is to die for.;)

Thanks in advance

John

Edited by snatcher
spelling mistake

Hey John, 

firstly here's the pinned post....

red neds pie are pretty good but they definitely charge tourist prices! 

My bet with the grandkids would be to head to corlette beach on a high tide and fish the flats. The kids can swim on the same area! There's also BBQ and tables there to relax! Hope that helps! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Agree with wizza! Also if you like beach fishing, Fingal bay beach is very protected for the kids to swim etc and you can wonder up the beach fishing the gutters! 

There's also a place in Fingal called "Barry park". Absolute scenic place for lunch! :)

Cheers scratchie!!! 

On 3/3/2017 at 4:27 PM, snatcher said:

We head up to Nelson Bay 25 March for the week.  We are staying about in the middle of the town and will be taking fishing gear with us. :D  Just after some general advice about the local fishing.  Will have 6 year old and 3 year old grandsons with us so would like to find a safe fishing spot for them.  Also any advice on places to visit locally would be appreciated.   Have been told that Red Neds Pie Shop in town is a must and that the kangaroo teriyaki pie is to die for.;)

Thanks in advance

John

Red Ned's make amazing pies.  Try some of the seafood varieties - lobster, scallop, garlic prawn, chilli crab.  They cost about $8 but they are fantastic!  I don't eat many pies but I do like Ned's! The business was for sale when I was up 2 weeks ago.

Take the kids to Fly Point on a morning high tide.  Take some fish pellets (berley pellets) and feed the fish.  The bream will come and feed around their ankles.  There are signs up asking not to feed the fish bread... but if you do, the bream will take it out of your fingers. ;)  A great place to snorkel too and watch bream, whiting, flathead and luderick in their natural habitat.  If snorkeling, you definitely need to go around the top of the tide... less current. (No fishing allowed!).

You can do a dolphin watch cruise or take the ferry to Tea Gardens and have a pub lunch or an ice cream at the shop with the Kombi front skin in it.  A bit pricier is the shark and ray centre on the way into Port and the kids can get up close and personal with rays and wobbegongs etc., I believe (haven't been there myself).  There are markets on most weekends.

Lots of great little cafes around the traps, too.  The Long Boat Cafe at Fingal is nice, the one at the boat shed at Soldiers Point is nice and quiet and when you eat here you'll hear bream feeding on the surface under your feet.  The tea house at the Inner Light (where Marine Rescue is) has fantastic views.  If you're up for a climb, the hike to the lookout at Mount Tomaree has views to die for (one day I thought I would but it was about 40 degrees that day!).

Enjoy your holiday!