6.8m Plate boat - Port side lean

ThumperDino

All

recently bought a Stacer ocean ranger 679. When I bought it they fitted a brand new g2 225hp with a Rx4 4 blade prop and a new 1kw transom mounted tranny to the port side. There is a pretty severe port side lean when on a plane. As it is a second hand boat (2015 model) I didn't notice it when purchasing and the guy seems pretty genuine and said never a problem and has done 1000hours on it. Only thing that has changed is the newly fitted motor. 

As I am a light guy 70kg and the passenger is always 100+ I do note when on a plane if the heavier person steers its slightly better but still a port lean. I have Volvo trim tabs so can level it out but having to run them to half their full setting to level it out not just one click. Weight in the boat isn't an issue as have taken all gear out. Is this a torque issue? And if so, what's the solution. Is the motor meant to be offset, should I try a new prop etc. do I need to get some weight put starboard side to level this out. What's the answer. Thanks all

Thanks all. Wouldn't have thought a 6.8m boat would be affected so much from the torque. 

Am going to load up some weight to the undercarriage of the starboard seat and in the cab see how that goes. From what I gather from the weight on the boat with people though going to need to be a lot of weight 

can you offset the motor or change anything to help? 

I note there is adjustments on the prop for water flow, will this help? Have no idea what these are used for and what they affect 

So that is probably the same thing that happens to mine. Its more noticable when

I have a passenger. Maybe it is worth memoving both my batteries to the same side 

of the boat. I guess seeing if it leans when just floating  will show if it is out of balance.

Well I took it in today to an Etec dealer who told me the engine is mounted too low, knocked it up a hole (3/4") and will get it out for a run on Friday to see. He mentioned that the old G1 are mounted lower than the G2's. The cavitation plate should be sitting 1.5-2inches above the bottom of the transom. 

Will report back and see if this fixes the problem 

Edited by ThumperDino

Guest Ridge
On 19/04/2017 at 0:58 PM, noelm said:

No, it doesn't mean the e-tec has a lot more torque......

Not a lot more. A hell of a lot more. 

its amazing how moving a hole up or down can affect the handling, plane speed and spray all at the same time  and then on another boat it only affects one of those thing.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Guest Force3
44 minutes ago, noelm said:

Kind of guessed you did have an e-tec, otherwise you wouldn't be getting your undies in a twist when someone States that they are no better (or worse) than any other motor!

I made my decision based on first hand experience (sea trials). Other people have made statements based on their own opinion, biased or not but usually shut up when called out and asked to provide evidence of their statements.

Hi all...flicken mad,maybe it was a diesel lol.

you only have to look at motorcycles,have you ever riden a same cc engined 4 stroke and 2 stroke motorcycle ?.you only have to look at moto gp or super cross racing,4stroke have 2 times the cc as 2 strokes to be competitive.

Regarding Torque, I used to ride motorbikes, the 2 strokes sure used to get away early, but if you sat up straight in a blowing westerly across kooragang island the speed drop off considerably, horses for courses.

3 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...flicken mad,maybe it was a diesel lol.

you only have to look at motorcycles,have you ever riden a same cc engined 4 stroke and 2 stroke motorcycle ?.you only have to look at moto gp or super cross racing,4stroke have 2 times the cc as 2 strokes to be competitive.

My experience of two stroke bikes was of no torque until you hit that nasty thing called power band. I might be a dinosaur and I am sure modern two strokes have a broad power band. Back in my day there was a reason you hit the ramp "on the noise" with a two stroke where the four bangers had torque right through the rev range. Much more fun chucking wheelies on the XR 600 than the kx 250. Or maybe just less scary.

2 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Regarding Torque, I used to ride motorbikes, the 2 strokes sure used to get away early, but if you sat up straight in a blowing westerly across kooragang island the speed drop off considerably, horses for courses.

Horses or kilowatts.

Raised the engine one notch which did help, there is still a lean on port but it doesn't dig anymore. I believe the tranny (airmar tm265) and custom built spray guard is affecting it causing it to pull the port side under with the water pushing over the top. It is a huge transom mount tranny and the mount is terrible. There was so much water spray in its previous position I moved it to its sitting about 10mm from straight edge on V. Haven't been able to take out on water yet to test. 

I am also told that the 4blade prop is large for the motor size (rx4 15x18) and that may be impacting it. Not getting the top end revs it should be but with the prop causing so much drag it's more than understandable. May trial a cheap three blade and see how that affects the hole shot and top end