Not my catch but still a report

cossie

Hi raiders

Bit of  a different report today. Was at local rocks in eastern suburbs on Saturday where I joined another angler early just after sunrise. I thought I would have a quick morning spin session. This guy had a couple of casts with a red crab bait set up and by about third cast he was into a very solid fish. After about a couple of minutes tussle he landed a beautiful groper which I estimate to have been between 8-10 kg. A beautiful fish that I have never seen that size caught before. He was wrapped and so was I. I asked him if he was going to keep it, which he replied that he was. Not sure if it was my business to tell him but I told him it was a great catch and it should be released. He told me he would ring his mate. He was on the phone for about five minutes while I was with fish in a shallow pool. He came back and I asked him again and he seemed unsure by now. All of a sudden a wave came and washed the fish out and back into the sea, therefore no more decision making needed. A great sight on a beautiful Sydney morning.

Btw no surface fishies for me?

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

What a beautiful fish. Crab is the chosen bait for these beauties

blue groper have a legal size limit of 30cm and only one fish over 60cm. 2 fish in total and spearfishing blue groper is prohibited 

whilst i admire the beauty of this fish, u shud recognize any anglers right to keep a legal catch without enforcing catch and release views on others

38 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:
41 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

What a beautiful fish. Crab is the chosen bait for these beauties

blue groper have a legal size limit of 30cm and only one fish over 60cm. 2 fish in total and spearfishing blue groper is prohibited 

whilst i admire the beauty of this fish, u shud recognize any anglers right to keep a legal catch without enforcing catch and release views on others

No pressure was placed on fellow angler. Am fully aware of his legal right to take.

Just a comment, no enforcement.

just was amazed at fish's beauty and   so was he. Hence his hesitation in taking fish.

Cracking fish! As good as it is to take a fish home for a feed seeing it swim off is by far the better feeling in my opinion. Wouldn't say it was enforcing views, its important to remember the longevity of the sport and conservation of fish species. Good to see the ocean having the final say haha 

Edited by finbar12

It's not really a sport if only one team knows it's playing. For the angler - a great fun catch, but a shame not to get a feed. For the fish - a horrible experience, but lucky to be alive.

It's a matter of perspective, isn't it?

There are plenty of Blue Groper swimming around so if you wanted to knock one on its head that certainly wouldn't be a problem.

But at the end of the day, the angler who caught the fish has the call on releasing or keeping it for a feed.

Fantastic eating fish and go like the clappers once their hooked! A good one that size feeds my whole family! We catch them regularly up here and they generally fall victim to a pinned crab from the stones! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Fantastic eating fish and go like the clappers once their hooked! A good one that size feeds my whole family! We catch them regularly up here and they generally fall victim to a pinned crab from the stones! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Fish had a hell of last run for a shallow reef.

angler did well. Was using a baitrunner reel and telescopic rod approx 12 foot. Heavy braid and mono trace.paternoster rig.