What a day!!

vipernut

After pumping a heap of yabbies yesterday at Maianbar I was looking forward to a day out on the water with the FIL.

Up at 5am for a 530am depart & we were under way, just a quick fuel stop first. The usual plan is to head to the ramp behind flower power & travel down the river to the bay, however the gates were locked with a sign that now states they will be unlocked by 7:30am.

Ok plan B required, the choice to use picnic point or the George's river national park ramp. Decided on the later as it is a better set up ( even if it costs $8)

Arrive & get the boat in the water, start the motor & let it idle while the FIL parks the car. FIL jumps in puts it into gear & nothing!!!

Quick check & everything looks ok. Jump on trusty google & instantly put 2&2 together. FIL had recently changed the impeller & knew Straight away something hadn't lined up correctly.

Boat back out of the water & on our way home for repairs. Pull the bottom end off & sure enough shaft isn't line up, line it up put it back together & after testing we are away again.

So finally hit the water just before 9 & away down the river we go. Get to Botany Bay & the wind is a little stronger than predicted. FIL decided we will try a few drifts which only resulted in some small snapper around Towra wide.

Decision made to head to Yarra Bay & try for some squid but again wind & swell not in our favor, so we are on the move again.

Across to Captains cook landing site, FIL decides a drift is needed again which only resulted in finding the dreaded pinkies again, finally convince him to head over to the weed beds to try for squid. After a couple of casts I dropped one but perseverance paid off & I finally had a squid on board, sadly it was the only one.

We then drifted in a few different spots with no luck before deciding to call it quits.

On the way back in the George's river we stopped & gave 2 blocks in a boat the remaining nippers & wished them luck.

While not being an ideal day & having to find something for dinner tonight, it was still a good day out & beats a day at work anytime.

Thanks to the Raiders that offered the squid advice.

1 hour ago, vipernut said:

After pumping a heap of yabbies yesterday at Maianbar I was looking forward to a day out on the water with the FIL.

Up at 5am for a 530am depart & we were under way, just a quick fuel stop first. The usual plan is to head to the ramp behind flower power & travel down the river to the bay, however the gates were locked with a sign that now states they will be unlocked by 7:30am.

Ok plan B required, the choice to use picnic point or the George's river national park ramp. Decided on the later as it is a better set up ( even if it costs $8)

Arrive & get the boat in the water, start the motor & let it idle while the FIL parks the car. FIL jumps in puts it into gear & nothing!!!

Quick check & everything looks ok. Jump on trusty google & instantly put 2&2 together. FIL had recently changed the impeller & knew Straight away something hadn't lined up correctly.

Boat back out of the water & on our way home for repairs. Pull the bottom end off & sure enough shaft isn't line up, line it up put it back together & after testing we are away again.

So finally hit the water just before 9 & away down the river we go. Get to Botany Bay & the wind is a little stronger than predicted. FIL decided we will try a few drifts which only resulted in some small snapper around Towra wide.

Decision made to head to Yarra Bay & try for some squid but again wind & swell not in our favor, so we are on the move again.

Across to Captains cook landing site, FIL decides a drift is needed again which only resulted in finding the dreaded pinkies again, finally convince him to head over to the weed beds to try for squid. After a couple of casts I dropped one but perseverance paid off & I finally had a squid on board, sadly it was the only one.

We then drifted in a few different spots with no luck before deciding to call it quits.

On the way back in the George's river we stopped & gave 2 blocks in a boat the remaining nippers & wished them luck.

While not being an ideal day & having to find something for dinner tonight, it was still a good day out & beats a day at work anytime.

Thanks to the Raiders that offered the squid advice.

Old Murphy wasn't on your side at all mate.My hat goes off to you for persisting and it certainly beats doing anything else especially work.

Cheers.

R u talking about the hole in the wall ramp being gated until 0730...Mmm strange I was there last week at 0630. Squid just starting to come on, plenty caught back of bare island on Monday , hopefully their still around . Good effort considering the ordinary start, but weather was fantastic and better than staying st home with 3 small children? like me! 

17 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Yep, certainly beats the hard slog of a day I had. 

Your last act of giving those blokes nippers will return you some good karma! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie, hoping to get out next week again so some good Karma would be good.

3 hours ago, Ribs said:

R u talking about the hole in the wall ramp being gated until 0730...Mmm strange I was there last week at 0630. Squid just starting to come on, plenty caught back of bare island on Monday , hopefully their still around . Good effort considering the ordinary start, but weather was fantastic and better than staying st home with 3 small children? like me! 

No, boat ramp on the Georges River behind Flower Power off Newbridge Rd,Moorebank.

Wind & swell yesterday didn't allow us to fish Bare Island.