Hearing Protection While Cruising?

Berleyguts

Does anyone wear ear protection when driving their boat at speed?

I've never thought it an issue until my son brought it up when we fished together last week. The engine noise  is fine (the ETEC is pretty quiet) but it's the wind when cruising to the grounds at 25-26 knots that might be an issue. My son rides a motorbike and wears ear plugs as he says, even with a full face helmet and visor down, his ears hurt at highway speeds without them.

I had sudden ear trouble and temporary loss of hearing in September 2014. I'd put it down to an infection combined with too much rock'n'roll over the years. An MRI followed by a course of steroids  got my hearing mostly back but I have been battling terrible tinnitus ever since. As a musician, the tinnitus drives me crazy! Plus it is hard to sleep.

Thinking back on my son's comments about wind noise when driving the boat at speed, I realised that my troubles started about 9 months after I bought my new boat, an open boat (Stacer side console). My previous boat was a runabout, so I had a windscreen for protection. It also wouldn't do 26 knots (about 18 was the norm). But I never had a problem with that boat.

So, I'm now thinking about wearing ear plus - at least while cursing at speed.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

If your ears are sensitive to the wind now,there's no harm in wearing the earplugs or even a set of ear muffs.I myself have lost a fair bit of hearing over the years and have similar ear discomfort at times.I blame industrial deafness,the mrs nagging and loud music as a youth that didn't know better.

I've had hearing tests every year at work and it's incredible how much your hearing declines once you go past the age of 30-35.

My advice is to wear some form of hearing protection when your vulnerable to the noise and hearing discomfort.

I always wear ear plugs when at work,mowing,using power tools etc.

I always wear earplugs as soon as the mrs begins to nag and as it becomes constant nagging I then put ear muffs over the top as the plugs just can't cope.lol.

Ps My boat doesn't go fast enough to warrant wearing earplugs.

Look after what hearing you have left mate.

Fab1.

Guest Guest123456789
On 21/04/2017 at 8:09 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Health Alert - anyone snoring needs a sleep test for sleep apnoea. Apart from being annoying it is very dangerous.

I had it done. They wire you up and monitor you when sleeping. I didn't have apnea but my uncle did and they recorded him not breathing for 30 seconds!!! Can cause brain damage, depression etc.

On 20/04/2017 at 8:40 AM, Berleyguts said:

Does anyone wear ear protection when driving their boat at speed?

I've never thought it an issue until my son brought it up when we fished together last week. The engine noise  is fine (the ETEC is pretty quiet) but it's the wind when cruising to the grounds at 25-26 knots that might be an issue. My son rides a motorbike and wears ear plugs as he says, even with a full face helmet and visor down, his ears hurt at highway speeds without them.

I had sudden ear trouble and temporary loss of hearing in September 2014. I'd put it down to an infection combined with too much rock'n'roll over the years. An MRI followed by a course of steroids  got my hearing mostly back but I have been battling terrible tinnitus ever since. As a musician, the tinnitus drives me crazy! Plus it is hard to sleep.

Thinking back on my son's comments about wind noise when driving the boat at speed, I realised that my troubles started about 9 months after I bought my new boat, an open boat (Stacer side console). My previous boat was a runabout, so I had a windscreen for protection. It also wouldn't do 26 knots (about 18 was the norm). But I never had a problem with that boat.

So, I'm now thinking about wearing ear plus - at least while cursing at speed.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Baz

I have a 30hp tiller steer 2 stroke. At WOT I recorded 95 decibels which is above the 80 decibels threshold that causes permanent hearing damage. 

I wear the safety ear muffs from Bunnings,  cost $10. They're great! You can still hear, they keep your hat from blowing off your head and keep your ears warm in winter. Also stops the ringing headaches I used to get after a days boating and generally makes for an much more enjoyable day.