Bayview Firing - Plastics & Fly (mostly plastics)

jdanger

Had a few sessions in the last month at our usual spot around Hen and Chicken. Gotta say, the fishing still feels like summer. Not a heap of action on surface (we rarely have much success on surface lures here), but you couldn't stop them from smashing our plastics. 

As usual, Zman Grubz in Motor Oil, Gudgeon & Bloodwoorm with a smidge of S-Factor on a light head did the trick. Had some love on the hardbodies, but the plastics were far and away the winners on every occasion. Overall the fish have been small, with only a handful of legals caught per outing, though we're not complaining.

We have even started trying to crack the place on fly. So far Nick's dropped a flattie and I've managed a chopper tailor on a gold crazy charlie.

I had another go on the fly today after we had to pull the pin on a fly fishing charter. We hit the bay again and after I'd secured a strong lead on the fish tally using our usual methods, I switched to the wand with some home made charlies to no avail. After Nick hit a patch that gifted him half a dozen fish in matter of minutes, parity on the score board was restored and I went back to the spin which immediately got me onto more undersized flathead and bream.

DSC_0504.JPG

Is it cheating if I use a lightly weighted plastic on the fly rod? :ph34r:

On 27/04/2017 at 8:52 PM, jdanger said:

Is it cheating if I use a lightly weighted plastic on the fly rod? :ph34r:

To be honest I think a fly makes a better lure than a plastic, you'd be disadvantaging yourself with a plastic. The fly has got all the hair which looks like prawn feelers and legs

On 28/04/2017 at 6:50 PM, dirvin21 said:

good video, just a suggestion try going a bit lighter on the drag especially with flatties and you pull the hooks as often

The age old dilemma! First week I got dusted twice and I concluded my drag was too light (still getting used to the straight through fluro). Second week I tightened up a little and instead pull the hooks on a couple of fish, but at least I kept my lure. Last session I was goldilocks :sun:

On 29/04/2017 at 0:00 PM, nickb111 said:

To be honest I think a fly makes a better lure than a plastic, you'd be disadvantaging yourself with a plastic. The fly has got all the hair which looks like prawn feelers and legs

You're probably right - I'm yet to really build a decent fly catalogue. The deer hair I'm using is a bit on the stiff side and the flies lack action so I'll invest in something softer. BMS patterns look good in the water so they're on the to-try list as well.

6 hours ago, jdanger said:

You're probably right - I'm yet to really build a decent fly catalogue. The deer hair I'm using is a bit on the stiff side and the flies lack action so I'll invest in something softer. BMS patterns look good in the water so they're on the to-try list as well

It'll come down to confidence as well, if you're not confident in the lure/fly, you won't fish it as well as something you know has caught you fish

10 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Just wondering what's the best tide to fish that area??

You'll catch fish all day but the first half of the run-out is best. The higher the tide the better. A good bit of wind helps too.