Broken bay kings

mully

Had a free sat morning. So me and the wife went out for a quik morning sesh as my wife has been dieing to get her first king on her newly purchased pink Shimano rod.

We get to our spot, put the berley, baits and lives out and started the waiting game..

Was over an hour till the kings showed up. First I got a small rat.so back he went. Then I got another rat.

Than my wife's rod went off and I was sure she was going to get reefed as it was only 9m deep. But some how she won the fight and boated this nice 72cm king.

All kings cought on store bought squid. Wouldn't touch the lives..

Only 3 kings cought and we were at the ramp back by 10:30.. with dinner..

esized_20170415_092448.jpeg

Well done, can I ask if you were fishing the wreck? Or the flats? was there much structure on the bottom? 

How deep were they and what fishing rigs were you running? Patanosta ?

Edited by JA1990

Guest Guest123456789

Beautiful fish,well done Mully!!! Should have made a nice sashimi meal for you and the mrs.

Looks like amazing conditions and crystal clear, you don't often fish broken bay and see a long, reefy point in the background.

5 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Well done, can I ask if you were fishing the wreck? Or the flats? was there much structure on the bottom? 

How deep were they and what fishing rigs were you running? Patanosta ?

This time we fished of a headland just south off the bay, reef bottom in about 9m. Livies I fish under a balloon. Squid and other bait with just leader and hook. Just let it sink down with the current. Most important thing by far is berley, berley. Get the sweep interested then the kings should show up. It can take up to 2-3 hours sometimes.I also find the falling tide has worked best for me..

Cheers for the insight, I hear people going on and on about Kingys but stumped if I can get them. 

I only ever seen them at box chasing my lure but they were very shy....

how big are the squid and where abouts do you get them? 

11 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Cheers for the insight, I hear people going on and on about Kingys but stumped if I can get them. 

I only ever seen them at box chasing my lure but they were very shy....

how big are the squid and where abouts do you get them? 

I get them chasing stick baits all the time with no strike..

The squid range from 10-20cm hoods and I get them from drummoyne tackle and the a shop ones work as well.

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Well done to you & the missus ;)

Interesting that they just went for the store bought squid!

Was it whole though or strips?

Strips.