How to send livies out if theres weeds in front of you and the current is in a bad direction?

chokpa

Wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix this issue

When i send my livies out its hard to cast them far. There's kelp in front of me, and the livies like to hide there. On a few occassions a octopus will also take the livies

I've tried putting them under a float but the current generally takes it parallel to the shoreline, which means i am forced to reel it back in and recast it. Obviously not good for the livies health.

Is there any way around this or is it just how it is? I feel like i'm missing a trick here...

Cheers

It is a curse, i can relate, and im sure many others can as well. Slide baiting would be worth a shot assuming you can get the line clear over the kelp. Other than that there's not much you can do. Keep recasting or turn to lures instead of livies

Hm this slide bait trick might work actually. The rigs arent cheap though.. Maybe i can DIY something with rings and elastic bands.

Thanks guys, good to know im not missing anything obvious.

I'd agree with the others who have suggested slide rigs. Try it and see how it goes in the area you fish.

Also, you could attach the livie onto a large paternoster rig with the hook 2-3m off the dropper sinker.

Edited by Mike89