Blackfish - First time using a centrepin

Wellzy94

Headed out with Royce and Paul to catch some blackfish on Saturday. With not much luck early on, we moved to Balmain and found a few fish. Learning to cast a centrepin was definitely interesting, and certainly not as easy as a sidecast!

Royce left us to our own devices for a while when he noticed some gulls working the surface, and took his fly rod with him. We saw him a short while later flip a nice salmon for a quick snap, then back into the drink.

We ended up with a few blackfish each and called it a day, the biggest caught by Royce at 42cm.

Cheers,

Wellzy

IMAG0128-20170515-124438771.jpg

IMG_2031-20170515-124417782.jpg

centrepins are the most controllable reel for this style of fishing..being able to roll spool in or out by fingers keeps better control of line while drifting freely..good quality reels spin very freely...I can lay a 40mtr cast on the rocks and because of pendulum action I have fewer tangles than sidecast or threadline...rick

2 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

centrepins are the most controllable reel for this style of fishing..being able to roll spool in or out by fingers keeps better control of line while drifting freely..good quality reels spin very freely...I can lay a 40mtr cast on the rocks and because of pendulum action I have fewer tangles than sidecast or threadline...rick

For sure, Rick. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to follow a drift away from you with an eggbeater... May as well just fish with the bail arm off.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Woo hoo!  Well done!  The macman keeps nagging me to use a centrepin for blackfish, but I keep saying, "Nah!".  I know its the preferred reel for blackfish purists, but I couldn't be bothered.  Don't wanna start a war, but IMHO the only advantage it has is that there's no doubt that it is superior for line management.  Everything else I find a spin reel to be better - especially ease of use and fast line pickup.  I just open and shut the bail arm for trotting a drift.  Each to their own.

Well done Wellzy, a solid effort and some nice sized darkies there. Good on you for giving the centrepin a go!

Very impressed with Royce's salmon on the fly. Must have given a good pull.

On 15/05/2017 at 1:24 PM, Wellzy94 said:

I did mate! My local store had an old box of Nitlon Topwater Float. My Alvey sidecast also has some Sunline Fine Float, but it tends to sink after an hour or two.

Cheers,

Wellzy

That nitlon is very hard to buy now. I don't think they make it any more. If you see it grab as many as you can afford. 

Well done on the catch by the way. 

48 minutes ago, Stapo said:

That nitlon is very hard to buy now. I don't think they make it any more. If you see it grab as many as you can afford. 

Well done on the catch by the way. 

Thanks mate. I got lucky, it was in a bargain bin of old stock. But the owner didn't realise the line was so old, they'd removed it from their system and didn't actually have a price for it!

9 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Thanks mate. I got lucky, it was in a bargain bin of old stock. But the owner didn't realise the line was so old, they'd removed it from their system and didn't actually have a price for it!

I've had mine on for about 5 years now. It's the gold colour line. Still floats ok but I'm nearly down to the backing.  Lol. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 1:06 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Hey Rick, i know this is an old post but im looking into all things blackfish at the moment lol, 40metres! farout thats awesome i was hoping for around 10-15 lol.

I have only chased them from the boat so far so havent needed to cast yet, gotta learn the technique now, you use the wallis cast or bc swing or something else?

Cheers mate.

Lee.

I have two reels..one is a Russian coarse fishing reel off ebay worldwide.there is some very reasonable reels if you look ..the other is a classic avon royal 4''...I fish large weighted floats with two traces..Newcastle rig..and I don't know what you would call my cast but its sideways motion from way behind me...rick